Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Blogs > maysorum
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Rate this Entry

OK, lots of stuff in the works

Posted 03/09/2010 at 09:41 PM by maysorum
Updated 03/09/2010 at 09:55 PM by maysorum

I've decided to add a refugium to my system. There's three main reasons: 1) grow macroalgae for my new Kole Yellow Eye Tang, 2) increase nutrient export, and 3) increase total system volume.

I'm currently designing the refugium and have made a rudimentary sketch using Google SketchUp. It's a pretty cool program, but a little frustrating when you don't know what you're doing! The plan is to pump water from my existing sump into the baffle chamber of the refugium. Then the water exits and flows via gravity back into the sump. I'm hoping it's really that simple. Let me know if you have any suggestions for improvement. Oh, I haven't decided whether the refugium will be all glass or acrylic.

There are a few other projects I'm still working on. I haven't mounted the LiterMeter yet, but I've got it all figured out now. Also, I need to get the BRS GFO/GAC reactor running. These projects have kind of been on hold since I have been working on the refugium design. And yes, in the next day or so I will post new pictures, I promise!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	refugium_plan.jpg
Views:	1126
Size:	20.2 KB
ID:	34   Click image for larger version

Name:	refugium_plan2.jpg
Views:	1137
Size:	23.2 KB
ID:	35  
Posted in Uncategorized
Views 11716 Comments 1 Edit Tags Email Blog Entry
« Prev     Main     Next »
Total Comments 1

Comments

  1. Old Comment
    I've modified my refugium design (with the help Cy @ Barrier Reef, thanks!) to include a 12" x 12" compartment for sand. I think this will greatly reduce the amount of maintenance, as I initially was planning to use sand throughout. I'll post an updated sketch as soon. The final dimensions are 28L x 18W x 16H. I'm excited to get this on line!
    Posted 03/20/2010 at 01:31 PM by maysorum maysorum is offline
 

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:38 AM.


TapaTalk Enabled

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Powered by Searchlight © 2021 Axivo Inc.
Use of this web site is subject to the terms and conditions described in the user agreement.
Reef CentralTM Reef Central, LLC. Copyright 1999-2014
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.3.0 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2021 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.