Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Blogs > 55 Gal Uniquarium Build
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Documentation of my first new aquarium build. Upgrading to a 55 gal Clear for Life Uniquarium from a 28 gal Nano Cube after 1 yr, 9 mos. as a reef tank owner!
Rate this Entry

Why the Upgrade to Clear for Life Uniquarium?

Posted 09/20/2012 at 03:45 PM by sweetyness
Updated 09/26/2012 at 09:09 PM by sweetyness

The 2 main reasons for upgrading from a 28 gal Nano Cube to a 55 gal Uniquarium are more gallons (Nano is busting at the seems with coral!), and having a fresh new start (no inherited problems). Plus I want to switch to LED lighting, the Metal Halide I have now runs my electricity up & is too hot, so my air conditioning and fans run more. During these So Cal hot months this year my 2 mo. Electric/water bill went up from $320. to $717.! Ouch!

Reasons for the Uniquarium choice:[LIST][*]I like having the "works" (pumps, filters, refugium, skimmer, heater, probes) in a condensed area in the back where you can't see them- but wanted a larger area so it's easier to maintain & I can get rid of the HOB fuge;[*]This aquarium measures 36" wide x 18" deep x 20" tall. Perfect for the area next to my couch. I wanted more gallons but not longer than 36", the display area is 13.5' deep- enough room for rocks & coral without looking crowded. Easy to view everything.[*]The back part inside is the full 36"L x & 20"H x 4" deep- lots of room for all my equipment, filter bags & refugium rocks & chaeto.[*]Clear for Life is highly rated with a lifetime guarantee, and I rec'd a killer price from my LFS since I am a good customer![/LIST]I use an antique desk as an aquarum stand and the center open space is full of a balast, power bars, timers, etc.
[IMG]http://janayeakel.com/graphics/Reef-Tank/cords.jpg[/IMG]
No way I want to have to plumb down to a sump, etc. etc. I am determined to make this work in a clean, compact way!

Manufacturer images (with blue back, mine is black):
[IMG]http://janayeakel.com/graphics/Reef-Tank/50RUniquarium.jpg[/IMG]

Next post will list what I bought to start my new tank build. Thanks! ~Jana
Posted in Uncategorized
Views 9693 Comments 0 Edit Tags Email Blog Entry
« Prev     Main     Next »
Total Comments 0

Comments