View Single Post
Old 03/14/2010, 07:20 PM   #1
Hightray
Registered Member

Post Sump, size, equipment, construction new to marine aquaria

Hello, I am new to marine aquariums and am doing my research. I have a rectangle Sea Clear acrylic aquarium that I got as a gift (35 gallon). I have been reading as much as I can. I have decided to try to keep it simple for my first foray into marine aquaria. My goal is to have two clownfish and an anenome.

I plan on getting 25lbs of base rock and use 5-10lbs of live rock to seed. I would like to run this for some time to get used to working with a basic configuration. I would like to run this for about 2-3 months before I consider more life in the tank besides perhaps a cleaning crew for the beginning.

I have been reading about sumps. With the stand that I have, I can fit a 10 gallon aquarium inside. I have a hang on the back protein skimmer that has the label AquaC on it (got this as a hand me down) with a pump.

In reading on making sumps it does not seem to be too difficult. But I have questions about preparation, equipment and construction. I plan on drilling holes in the tank to handle input and output of water.

1) Is a 10gal tank sufficient for a sump? I plan on putting the heater, skimmer, and misc materials in there to keep the display tank as clutter free as possible.

2) Drilling the tank, I know that you use diamond bits for glass but I have hole bits for plastic. I am thinking to use 1" bulkheads for input and output of water. Would this bit be proper for drilling? Is 1" sufficient? I read you can use flexible piping. Is this preferable to solid PVC?

3) I have been reading about flow rates for gravity feed and found that a 1" pipe in ideal conditions would flow up to 960 gph. I was thinking of putting a Lifegard Aquatics Quiet One Aquarium Pump 4000, it is rated at 1017 gph but I have read there is loss with height and bends. Would this be suitable? I am not savvy with pumps and do not know the reputation of this pump but it fit my budget. I was thinking of putting a valve on the outflow to control the amount of return into the display tank.

My main concerns are around the pluming, pump, and sump size and use. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated. This is a very confusing aspect for me and I want to understand to the best of my ability before beginning this venture. I am sure that I am missing something but will address any questions to the best of my ability and probably as more!

Thank you all for your help.

Last edited by Hightray; 03/14/2010 at 08:16 PM.
Hightray is offline   Reply With Quote