View Single Post
Old 07/10/2019, 01:51 PM   #683
Chasmodes
Registered Member

Thank you Michael!

It would be a local native biotope tank. To finish this stream tank, after applying the Polygem epoxy, I'll scape the rocks and gravel, then collect fish and plants from streams local to me (from the same river drainage). I hope to collect water stargrass (Heteranthera dubia), and will be the primary plant in my tank. It doesn't need soil as river gravel and fish waste nutrients will be enough, as it grows easily, from what I've read.

My fish collecting/stocking list will consist of mainly shiners, minnows, and darters. I'll take as many species of non-predators as will fit in my tank and not be overcrowded.

But, my primary focus will be darters local to me. Rainbow darters (Etheostoma caeruleum) are the fish that I want the most. There are also greenside darters (Etheostoma blennioides), fantail darters (Etheostoma flabellare) and tessellated darters (Etheostoma olmstedi) that I can collect and keep. There are other species of darters in the watershed, but are protected and I can't keep them.

The minnows and shiners that I most hope to collect are spotfin shiners (Cyprinella spilpterus) or satinfin shiners (Cyprinella analostana), rosyside dace (Clinostomus funduloides), silverjaw minnow (Notropis buccatus), and rosyface shiner (Notropis rubellus), but there are others that I'd be happy to add to the tank.

When I envision this tank in my dreams, I see a half dozen rainbow darters, four to six fantail darters, six to eight satinfin shiners, and the same number of rosyside dace. They would provide a nice splash of color mixed with silvery flash, tons of dither activity and plenty of interesting benthic fish behavior. Darters are very much like blennies in their antics.

I can't collect or keep native crayfish or freshwater shellfish in my state (not legal), but I can keep snails. In fact, snails make for great food for some species of darters. I don't think that I'd want other inverts in the tank.

--Kevin Wilson

Current Tank Info: 101g 3'X3'X18" Cubish Oyster Reef Blenny tank, 36"X17"X18" sump
Chasmodes is offline   Reply With Quote