View Single Post
Old 07/29/2019, 06:26 AM   #697
Chasmodes
Registered Member
 
Chasmodes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Maryland
Posts: 1,276
Oyster Reef Tank Update: I have a couple videos to share, but will get to them tomorrow. In the 20g high invertebrate tank, the hermit crab is happy and hopefully he will regenerate his claws. The anemone is hanging in there, literally, hanging from a rock like it almost can't support itself. However, it seems to be improving. The tentacles are getting fat and lively again, and it's still eating, so that is a good sign. In the 20g long, the remaining fish are doing great, and, I found a large mud crab with both its claws still alive and doing well. Maybe he's too big for the blennies to kill, at least, until he's a softshell crab. Also, I found a large amphipod feeding on a chunk of fish food last night. I haven't added anything to the tank in months, so this was quite a surprise. There are still a bunch of burrowing tube anemones and the live oysters seem to be doing OK. As it turns out, there are two live oysters, not one!

75 gallon stream tank update: As you may know, I purchased a quart of Polygem 1319 a few weeks ago. I mixed up a small batch and tested it on a piece of foam that was half painted with Drylok, to see if any chemical or heat changes might affect either the Drylok or the foam.

Then, I painted some on a small section of the roots, and had so much leftover that I just decided to go ahead full force on the roots. I painted the epoxy on about 3/4 of the root structure from the front and sides. Everything went very well on the tests and the roots. On the test foam/Drylok piece, I only painted one side. It was so strong afterwards that I could not break the foam. This product will protect the wall nicely and there were no problems with regard to heat or chemical reaction to the foam.


I finished the roots last night with a coating of epoxy on the back side, and then started painting the epoxy on the rock wall. Here's a pic before I finished the back side (facing up in this pic).


I had a fair amount of epoxy mixed up, so I went full force on the wall. I got about 95% done before the product was too thick to apply. I will have to finish it up tonight. I would have mixed up another batch, but, I ran out of protective gloves. I checked everything this morning and the wall looks great with a nice epoxy coating over most of it. I can't wait to finish it tonight.

The roots were hard as a rock this morning, just what I needed to happen. I feel confident that they will hold up well in the tank. The only flaw is a drop or two of epoxy that dripped from the last coat onto the front side that looks like a drop. I'm hoping that it will disappear or not be noticeable underwater. Otherwise, I'm very happy with the results.

This stuff reflects a lot of light and is very shiny, but, supposedly, when you fill the tank with water, you can't tell the epoxy is there. I hope that is the case. Polygem 1319 fully cures in a week, so, next Monday, I should be able to add water to the tank and test everything out! Woo Hoo! That means that I should be able to start scaping the tank in the meantime. I have rocks and small stones, but I still need some creek sand and gravel.

I should have the tank up and cycling in less than two weeks, then it's time to collect some fish!


__________________
Blennies Rock!

--Kevin Wilson

Current Tank Info: 101g 3'X3'X18" Cubish Oyster Reef Blenny tank, 36"X17"X18" sump
Chasmodes is offline   Reply With Quote