Thread: High nitrites
View Single Post
Old 01/23/2020, 10:52 PM   #22
ohashimz
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bertoni View Post
Nitrite will confuse most or all nitrate test kits, so I wouldn't worry about that measurement just yet. I am not sure whether that test result is correct, but if it is, I might do a series of 30% water changes to lower the nitrite level a bit. High nitrite levels might inhibit the growth of beneficial bacteria, but I am not sure on that. I wouldn't put a lot of effort into it, since the tank will be fine given some time. I might try testing some distilled or freshly-mixed saltwater, to see whether the nitrite kit is doing its job properly.

The bacteria that process ammonia in our tanks live on the substrate. I don't see any evidence that a skimmer will cause a problem in a tank, or affect the ammonia cycle much. Lots of people have run skimmers off and on and not had much of an issue, although it's hard to be sure what's happening.
Just to be clear we are not saying skimmer will cause problems. It's just a fact that skimmer remove many if the bacteria in the water column. Skimmer and mechanical filtrations are important.

Turning off skimmer when you start a new tank cycle absolutely move the cycle faster. It help bacteria establish bit faster and reduce nutrient outake at that important phase that you need nutrients to kick in the cycle since there is no fish or feeding.
But once you add fish it is recomended to start skimmer

Hope that clarify more..

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

ohashimz is offline   Reply With Quote