View Single Post
Old 03/01/2017, 06:17 AM   #390
taricha
Registered Member

Thanks for reply.
A couple of things on my parvocalanus cultures.
I diluted by almost half a few days ago, and included a water conditioner/ammonia reducer from off the shelf at the fish shop. All seems well in my 3 parvocalanus cultures. I can't say that the ammonia level would have reached problematic levels otherwise, but a couple of the culture containers had been running 2 weeks with little dilution.
I have chlor-am-x on order now. It's specifically for reducing ammonia in a concentrated culture setting. I plan to use it to allow me to be lazy and do a full strain/water change less often.
I'm still interested in hearing how others handle ammonia in their copepod cultures or larval tanks (larval tanks - big water changes are all I hear about).
Phycopure Copepod Blend. Although marketed as a live refrigerated feed (T-iso and Chaetoceros gracilis) for parvocalanus etc, I was skeptical. most of what I read said that parvo only accept live wiggling algae and T-iso is the easiest/most nutritious.
Phycopure seems to have done the trick in a pinch, despite my shipping goof that had it sit unrefrigerated for a weekend, and forgetting it out of the fridge another night. The pods accepted the food out of the bottle. I can't prove, but my eyes say there's more waste/detritus buildup at the bottom than there was with live t-iso. Which makes sense if there's less of bottled stuff being eaten.
But cultures have also, to the eye, continued to grow over about 5 days of just food from the bottle. I need to do a microscope check to see if nauplii production has continued, but it's nice to know we can feed parvo out of a refrigerated bottle if needed.

taricha is offline   Reply With Quote