View Single Post
Old 04/13/2020, 08:50 PM   #6192
ThRoewer
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrionN View Post
Or should I get a larger, changing and a smaller juvenile?
Narvachus and Regal are my two favorite larger angels.
They are my favorites as well.
With navachus I would either go with two juveniles or select a pair from adults. Though each approach has its risks.
With both species the sex of adults can be determined from the length and strength of the opercular thorn. The only difficulty with large angels is that they only fully mature fairly late in their lives. Just yesterday I read it might be at 10 years or older. So to be certain to pick correctly you would have to select from rather large specimens.
I've seen large and fully grown Maldives Regals in large numbers (25 to 50) at DeJong in the Netherlands and sexing them at that size is quite easy. But acclimating them and having them pair up is an entirely different story... I never tried because I never had a suitably sized tank for an adult pair.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Current Tank Info: 200 gal 4 tank system (40x28x24 + 40B + 40B sump tank + 20g refugium) + 30x18x18 mixed reef + 20g East Pacific biotop + 20g FW +...
ThRoewer is offline   Reply With Quote