View Single Post
Old 09/25/2020, 07:13 PM   #3
Timfish
Registered Member

Could be but it's more complicated than that. To start with the paper above is for freshwater algae and I myself would be very hesitant to draw a direct correlation to marine species. (Considering how many different species there are, there may in fact not be direct correlations to other freshwater species.) This paper for example found coraline algae was more adversly affected by temperature than reduced pH.

Personally I would start by looking at alkalinity. Corals are competing with other algae for carbon, nitrogen and phosphate. Inorganic carbon in the form of alkalinity is essential for both calcification and for corals symbiotic algae. Drops in alkalinity hamper corals in two ways making it harder to build their skeleton and impacting photosynthesis negatively affecting the amount of photosynthates (sugars) available to the coral for consumption. Reduced competetion from corals makes it much easier nuisance algae to prosper.

I would suggest going to scholar.google.com and searching reef coral, pH and algae to dig up papers on the subject.