Thread: Weeds
View Single Post
Old 11/25/2020, 05:45 AM   #1559
vlangel
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Hoaster View Post
It's funny, I'd heard the word used before, and always figured I knew the gist of it. But when you used it referencing our tanks, I had to look it up. It really does apply to our aquariums, for sure.

In some ways though it seems like Nature makes our crude work look more idealistic. Like my heavy-handed pruning of my red macros. I know that they will look much better once Nature has had it's chance to 're-idealize'. But then, over time, they get shaggy and entropy is back.

We walk a tightrope of making adjustments, relaxing and enjoying, and then more adjustments, since entropy never ends! So we struggle using art and science to achieve our aquarium goals, and all the while entropy lurks.

That's good to hear about foxfaces. I've never kept one.

Thanks, I've been pretty happy with the tank overall, especially the Manatee grass. It's been a roller coaster ride. Remember it wasn't that long ago that I almost killed it all off. I went from more than sixty plants down to thirteen.

I think the rock work project shouldn't be too disruptive. At least I'll try to minimize it. Hopefully, I have enough old rocks to do it.
This post hits the nail on the head. There is a hidden tension between letting nature do what it does best, and yet without us there to tend and garden our tanks they would grow wild and out of control. You articulated that so well.

I think we who keep more natural tanks see the balance and tension at play more readily. We know and understand what a powerful perfect force nature is and have less illusions about our own ability to totally control it, and ultimately understand that our own efforts are far less perfect. If we can merely reroute the laws of entropy at work in our tanks, then we have probably done the best we can do.

Good luck Michael in adding rock to the sandbed. Also I am looking forward to seeing what fish you ultimately choose to go with. I actually have no experience whatsoever to draw on whether a foxface would eat seagrass. You are the first person that I have come across that has grown seagrass. And actually I do not know many marine aquarists who even keep macro algae and none with a foxface. In many ways you are breaking new ground with adding fish to your system. It should be interesting.

And God said, Let the waters bring forth abundantly the moving creature that hath life, ...and God sawthat it was good. Genesis 1:20 - 21

Current Tank Info: A 56 gallon high nutrient macro algae/coral reef that overflows into a basement 30 gallon seahorse macro algae fuge that overflows into a 20 gallon sump
vlangel is offline   Reply With Quote