View Single Post
Old 11/13/2019, 06:03 AM   #727
Chasmodes
Registered Member

Thank you Michael!

Next? Well, over the next few weeks, I want to get out and try and collect more fish. My target species include more of the same species of darters, with at least one female of each species. As far as dither fish, there are three or four species of minnows that I'm interested in. Either satinfin (Cyprinella analostana) or spotfin (Cyprinella spiloptera) shiners (they are very similar), Rosyside dace (Clinostomus funduloides), and silverjaw minnows (Notropis buccatus). There many other species, and I may keep some of the nicer looking ones. One of those are rosyface shiners (Notropis rubellus). There is another species of darter that I'm interested in too, the greenside darter (Etheostoma blennioides) which are quite beautiful as well.

Also, I am going to check out the river to see if there are any plants still alive. It's been cold, and typically they die off about now. But, there could be still some rooted and hanging on. If I can't get out and do that, then I may wait until next summer for the plants. I also need to figure out a QT process for my FW fish, or maybe just treat them directly in the DT since I probably won't have inverts other than snails. The darters eat snails big time, so I won't have to worry about an established population of them. So, algae control will have to be via growing plants.

Refine my QT process, including purchasing a better copper testing device (Hanna instruments). I will treat the fish with copper and Prazipro in QT before adding them to the DT. As far as macros and inverts go, all will be QT'd in the holding tank, observed and kept fallow for 9 weeks so I don't introduce parasite hitchhikers.

As far as the oyster reef goes, I was way too content with my 20g set up. It's time to get the 100g stand finished, install the lighting, and get the 100g tank set up. After that, I'll work on the plumbing through the wall, the sump in the basement, and set up the RO/DI filter and a water changing station. I want the big tank up and running, cycled, before spring collecting time.

In the past, I hadn't done a lot of water changes. I may do them more periodically. Once macros become established in my tank, I'll need to figure out their specific needs and address them. This is my plan for oyster reef V2.

--Kevin Wilson

Current Tank Info: 101g 3'X3'X18" Cubish Oyster Reef Blenny tank, 36"X17"X18" sump
Chasmodes is offline   Reply With Quote