Reef Central Online Community
Marine Depot

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Old 03/15/2010, 11:08 AM   #1
sassyfrassy
Registered Member

cause problems?

currently my rockwork sits on top of my sand, tank set up around Oct.'09. I want to get a watchman and was told I needed rocks on bottom or he might tumble them digging. If I rearrange my rock work, which will stir up the sand, will it create problems w/ water parameters? My PO4 is already 1.0 and my NO310-15ppm.

Current Tank Info: 40g breeder DT LR & Macro Algae - 2" sand, 6 T5s & 2 fans in hood; 30gL sump/fuge w/MSX 200 skimmer & other equip.; (mangroves in DT - roots are great look)
sassyfrassy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/15/2010, 11:11 AM   #2
gkb
Registered Member

This depends, in part, on how dirty the sand is.

Also, how deep is the sand bed? If you have a deep sand bed, you will not want to disturb certain regions of it.

gkb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/15/2010, 11:26 AM   #3
sassyfrassy
Registered Member

The sand bed has a dusting of diatoms at present - 2/3 of tank is about 2", the other 1/3 is 4" w/barrier to keep sand from shifting. It shouldn't be too dirty - fish were only added about 3 weeks ago.

Current Tank Info: 40g breeder DT LR & Macro Algae - 2" sand, 6 T5s & 2 fans in hood; 30gL sump/fuge w/MSX 200 skimmer & other equip.; (mangroves in DT - roots are great look)
Old 03/15/2010, 11:32 AM   #4
gkb
Registered Member

Given your arrangement, you technically do not have a deep sand bed.

Given that it is not a deep sand bed, you have quite a lot of sand. It seems to me that keeping that amount of sand clean would become cumbersome.

To address the question...if the sand is not too dirty, you could disturb the sandbed without issue. Actually, I stir mine as frequently as possible (often daily).

gkb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/15/2010, 11:40 AM   #5
sassyfrassy
Registered Member

The idea was to have one side deeper for a watchman to play in. Given that it's not a DSB (that will be in my fuge) should the sand be more like 1"? I'm setting up the fuge in a day or so - as soon as the silicone cures, and I could add excess sand, along w/bacteria, on top of aragonite I'm putting in fuge. Would that be better? How much sand do I need to make the watchman happy?