Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Old 04/03/2008, 11:13 AM   #1
smoothdog
Registered Member

What a let down from Koralia

Just saw the new controllable Koralia pumps out on drsfostersmith and while the pumps themselves are affordable the 2 pump controller is over $300 and the 4 pump is almost $500! Iwas really looking forward to these becoming available and since hydor has become know for reasonably priced innovative products I had just hoped for better pricing. For that kind of money I'd be more inclined to go with Tunze.

smoothdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/03/2008, 11:19 AM   #2
grundig5
Registered Member

Holy $489?!
At least the pumps are cheap...

Old 04/03/2008, 11:33 AM   #3
mattiej
Registered Member

I have to agree for that price I would want to see the controller do more then just the few features listed! I would like the have seen the controller price about half of what is listed. Tunze would have to be the way to go considering comparable pricing and available features.

Current Tank Info: 200 SPS, 1200 Scyliorhinus retifer and S. canicula, Shark Lagoon
mattiej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/03/2008, 11:35 AM   #4
OnlyCrimson
Registered Member

Maaaan I might as well get tunze now.

OnlyCrimson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/03/2008, 11:46 AM   #5
superedge88
Registered Member

sureflow mod on a maxijet with a seio wavetimer works great, but as far as a non DIY option, Tunze seems like the winner.

Current Tank Info: In charge of over 50,000 gallons of fish only tanks
superedge88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/03/2008, 05:20 PM   #6
Aqua Keepers
Moved On

Quote:
Originally posted by superedge88
sureflow mod on a maxijet with a seio wavetimer works great, but as far as a non DIY option, Tunze seems like the winner.
Got a link for the seio wavetimer that you'r useing?

Aqua Keepers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/03/2008, 05:55 PM   #7
carlos_fb
Registered Member

Seriously, those prices do not sound right.

I think this is going to somehow encourage people to spend the extra money and get the Tunzes since now we know there's no cheap alternative, might as well get the real thing.

Too bad for Hydor...

carlos_fb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/03/2008, 06:39 PM   #8
OnlyCrimson
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by carlos_fb
Seriously, those prices do not sound right.

I think this is going to somehow encourage people to spend the extra money and get the Tunzes since now we know there's no cheap alternative, might as well get the real thing.

Too bad for Hydor...
Totally agree. If im going to end up paying that much for them i can pay a little more and get the better quality tunze setup. And i run the regular koralias on my tank and have no issues with them.

Old 04/03/2008, 06:40 PM   #9
jpluttme
Registered Member

yeah, so much for replacing my closed loop with the OM squirt...

jpluttme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/03/2008, 06:42 PM   #10
lark
Registered Member

Actually, the prices are pretty substantially lower than tunze, aren't they?

A 2-way hydor controller and two controllable 4s comes in around $450. That's a whole heck of a lot less than a tunze 7095 multiconroller and two 6055s, which is more like $700. It's unclear to me whether the hydor 2-way controller is equivalent to the tunze multi-controller -- the Dr. Foster's description doesn't seem to indicate whether the hydors can be set to pulse while alternating, like the tunze multicontroller can do. But otherwise, they look pretty equivalent. The range and gph ratings on the hydor 4s are pretty close to the tunze 6055s. The tunzes, though, are much smaller dimension wise and also the tunze multicontroller has the moonlight feature, which is kind of cool.

If you wanted the hydor 4-way controller and four number 4 pumps, you'd spend about $750. For four tunze 6055s and the multicontroller, you're looking at over $1000 -- closer to $1100.

We'll need to see some reviews to see whether these are comparable products, but the savings on the hydors is certainly not negligible. It also seems to come with a wider range of controllable pumps. For example, in the small pump range, the tunze 6055 is the only game in town from 500 to 1500, whereas hydor seems to have several options (although this doesn't mean much since the tunze 6055 can be set to be anything you want in its gph range by changing the voltage). If you need a higher flow controllable pump, the tunze streams are still the only game in town. But for the up-to-100 gallon market, it seems way too early to discount this as a viable, less-expensive (though hardly cheap) option. And, for the record, I just bought a tunze 6055/7095 set up, so I'm hardly biased in saying the hydor seems like a potentially decent deal.

lark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/03/2008, 06:46 PM   #11
greenmonkey51
Registered Member

Why not give them some time the let the price come down.

greenmonkey51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/03/2008, 07:22 PM   #12
OnlyCrimson
Registered Member

Yeah, but you have to factor in quality as well. The koralias might be cheaper but they dont have the good, well deserved, reputation tunze has. That plays a role when the difference between the setups is only $300 or so.

Old 04/03/2008, 07:39 PM   #13
smoothdog
Registered Member

lark, yeah the price is still considerably lower but if I'm gonna shell out that kind of money I'd rather spend a little extra and go with the tunze or a Vortech. Also the price for the controller just seems way out of whack, the Tunze will control 4 heads out of the box and is expandable and is only about $270. The Koralia that will control four is $490 and if you go with the cheaper one that only controls 2 and decide you want more later then you have to get a whole new controller. To put this in perspective, I can get a pretty nice controller unit that will control power heads, lights, temp and monitor ph out of the box as well as monitor other params with add on probes for that kind of money. $500 for a wavemaker controller? That ain't right.

Old 04/03/2008, 07:40 PM   #14
GUILLO1
Registered Member

hopefully the pumps will work with some of the controllers that are out there already. Was really looking forward to buying a complete Koralia system, now I'll look at other alternatives.

GUILLO1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/03/2008, 07:49 PM   #15
bilabong1973
Registered Member

the should change their name to vortex

bilabong1973 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/03/2008, 07:55 PM   #16
smoothdog
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by GUILLO1
hopefully the pumps will work with some of the controllers that are out there already. Was really looking forward to buying a complete Koralia system, now I'll look at other alternatives.
I had thought about that too but the power heads are 12v DC designed specially for the controller. Has anyone heard of any kind of controllable DC pump that might work?

EDIT: meant to say DC controller that might work.

Old 04/04/2008, 06:12 AM   #17
inachu
Moved On

Just put your korilias on a light dimmer switch.

inachu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/04/2008, 08:57 AM   #18
superedge88
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by pito
Got a link for the seio wavetimer that you'r useing?
http://www.tsunamiaquatic.com/t/wave...O_Controll.jpg

Current Tank Info: In charge of over 50,000 gallons of fish only tanks
superedge88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/04/2008, 10:27 AM   #19
HowardW
Registered Member

Wow, those new controllers are a lot more expensive then I would've guessed.

Old 04/04/2008, 11:02 AM   #20
thebradybunch
Registered Member

Yea, it's really bad for those who already have Koralias. Not only do we need to pay a high price for the controller but then buy 2 new pumps and figure out what to do with the old ones

thebradybunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/04/2008, 11:56 AM   #21
renisel
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by smoothdog
I had thought about that too but the power heads are 12v DC designed specially for the controller. Has anyone heard of any kind of controllable DC pump that might work?

EDIT: meant to say DC controller that might work.
Where did you find the info that says it's 12V DC? I've been looking around for specs, and can't find them. If it's just a DC motor running at 12V and changing the flow by varying the voltage, you could build your own controller for under $20 with stuff from Radio Shack.

renisel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/04/2008, 01:16 PM   #22
cardgenius
Registered Member

The prices are a little weird, but still much cheaper than Tunze. For a package price its really not that bad like lark said.

Hydor has great customer service. Anytime I had a problem I emailed them and they fixed it with no questions asked.

And from what Ive heard, they have pumps that will be pushing close to 3000gph coming out soon that will be priced just like the others.

Old 04/04/2008, 01:30 PM   #23
downhillbiker
Registered Member

they have mods for these. you can use a regular wave timer if you add a piece of airline tubing to the shaft on the propeller to keep it from hitting and rattling every time it turns on.

Current Tank Info: 200g Marineland Deep Dimension (Lumenmax Reflectors/Dual PFO 400w/Radium 20K) and 2xFrag Tanks (One TEK T5 fixture and one MH, Galaxy/Phoenix) on same system w/100g sump w/6"x100g DSB, AquaC EV-1000 Skimmer, Reeflo Barracuda return pump
downhillbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/04/2008, 01:49 PM   #24
lark
Registered Member

I guess I can understand the disappointment that there's not a $200 option yet for good, non-obtrusive, pulsing and alterantive non-laminar flow of 3,000 to 5,000 gph.

But I definitely see this as a good start and it's nice to have some competition in the market.

I'm delighted with my 6055s. They are tiny, well crafted, very easy to point and move, and I've seen a dramatic change in my LPS in particular in just a short period. If the hydor controllable pumps are the same as the old non-controlable ones, I'm pleased with my choice and not that bummed that I jumped when I did on tunze. My tunzes are better than the hydors they replaced. About 1/3 the size of the hydor 4, the magnets are way better and stronger, and it's much easier to point them in the right directions.

That said, would I still have spent the extra $250 without waiting for some reviews on these hydors? I guess I can't know the answer that question, but my hunch is no.

lark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/04/2008, 01:55 PM   #25
smoothdog
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by renisel
Where did you find the info that says it's 12V DC? I've been looking around for specs, and can't find them. If it's just a DC motor running at 12V and changing the flow by varying the voltage, you could build your own controller for under $20 with stuff from Radio Shack.
The pumps are designated 12v low voltage and I remember reading a blurb about these a while back that stated DC but I can't remember where I saw it now. Here are a couple links with some details:

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/produc...5&pcatid=18915

http://www.hydor.it/en/products/list/11

Maybe you could put together a build thread in the DIY forum about that Radio Shack controller.

downhillbiker, I've heard it's not just the noise that's a problem with using the standard koralias on a wavemaker, apparently it burns out the motor from all the starting and stopping, they just weren't designed for it.