Reef Central Online Community
Tunze USA

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Old 10/03/2020, 09:44 AM   #1
Explicit
Registered Member

What's changed?

Hello again, fellow reefers!

To make a long story short, I had a 90g mixed tank started in 2011. In 2016 there was a wildfire that wiped out 2500 buildings in my city and my reef was a part of the casualties

Fast forward 4 years, lots of fighting with insurance and rebuilding our house we are back home!

Now I want to start up a new project. My question is this:

What has changed since I left?
I've been talking to a friend and he's mentioned DC pumps are a thing, wave makers are more popular, led colours make corals look better.

So let's talk about it.

Ps. Picture is when the tank was about 4 months old.

Sent from my SM-N986W using Tapatalk

Explicit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/03/2020, 11:24 AM   #2
moondoggy4
Registered Member

Some compaines are improving thier line of equipment and there have been some additions.
So if you want the holy grail.
I would get some Radion 5's
I would get a roller fleece
DC pumps are still being debated for return pumps
Pwoer heads the gyres are very popular, Jebao, Tunze and Eco Tech in no particular order.

moondoggy4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/03/2020, 05:43 PM   #3
Vinny Kreyling
Registered Member

Just a note:
IF you get a roller filter downsize your skimmer 1 size since there is less organics in the water to remove.

Old 10/03/2020, 11:42 PM   #4
jeremy007
Registered Member

Dc skimmers are clutch as are return pumps and 3 pipe drains.

jeremy007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/22/2020, 03:04 AM   #5
ckaz
Registered Member

Similar boat as you. Getting back in after a few years. Iím struck by how widespread AIO tanks like the reefer have become. And not just generic all in one tanks, but weíll thought out to support reefkeeping.

ckaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/08/2020, 10:58 AM   #6
moondoggy4
Registered Member

chaz. Yea the IM Lagoon 25 have other tanks have really made it possible to run a nice little reef tank, with little cost. Of course, I got the IM Lagoon 25 EXT so yeah, stand , sump skimmer to add to the price. Check out the Youtube videos on them.

moondoggy4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/08/2020, 05:25 PM   #7
bearpeidog
Registered Member

Biggest change is automated testing. Check out Alkatronic and their soon to be released Mastertronic. Also, Neptune’s trident is also out which measures Alk, Calc and Mag. The Alkatronic allows precise control of Alkalinity and you can make your own reagent.

Current Tank Info: 180 gallon Starfire, 3-Radion G1, Tunze with 7091 Controller, 2- ecotech mp40s, MP60, Panworld 250 return pump, TunzeATO, XP2000ss Reef Octopus Skimmer, Theiling rollermat
bearpeidog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11/08/2020, 05:39 PM   #8
kris4647
Registered Member

DC pumps are nice but not ground breaking.

LED lights are a true innovation. I left the hobby for a time too and my last lights were halides. Phoenix 14k lol.

In my return to the hobby I bought a few G4 ecotechs and wow! A lot less heat, infinitely different colors and PAR CRI. Blew me away.

All the best luck on your return!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kris4647 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11/14/2020, 12:44 PM   #9
wildman926
Registered Member

Concerning pumps, you get what you pay for. After returning to the hobby, I have circled back to Eheim pumps. They run, and run, and run. I just bought a brand new 1262 that was a back up and never used, because the primary one never failed the owner after 15 years of use. The reason why I have gone back to Eheim, because I had 2 Chinese made pumps burn up, one in the sump smoked out, and circulation pump in the tank, its seal broke, drew too much current, and caused a small fire before the power strip's breaker blew. I make sure I use portable GFCIs and grounding probes now to ensure it is stopped before the power strip's breaker is tripped.

Lights, I run a combo of a pair T5HO and LED bars. Giesemann or ATI coral plus, and actinic blue or blue plus. They are in an older style housings. LED bars are from 21LEDUSA, Reef Bar Pro Blue Heavy and 445 actinic blue.

I run an Algae Turf Scrubber (ATS) from Turbo Aquatics to remove excess nutrients. I also run Reef Dynamics skimmers, bought new right after they went out of business. I have a new pair as a backup also. I also have some Aquamaxx skimmers as backups (tried the Reef Dynamics, and they ran the same).

The search function actually works quite well!!

Tanks:Planet Aquarium 150g LPS, Planet Aquarium 90g Softie
wildman926 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/14/2020, 04:47 PM   #10
wildman926
Registered Member

Here are my tanks. 90g and a 150g. I have culled corals due to growth 3 times since 2012

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

The search function actually works quite well!!

Tanks:Planet Aquarium 150g LPS, Planet Aquarium 90g Softie
wildman926 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/14/2020, 10:47 PM   #11
RobbyG
Registered Member

DC pumps are not as reliable as most of the older AC pumps unless you spend the big $$ and get something like a Red Dragon.

In order of what I think has made the most difference in the last 4 years.

Roller Mats
Auto Water Testing units
Better LED lights

Current Tank Info: Insanely Automated Low Power Consumption 90 Gal Oceanic Bow System/Aquatronica Touch Controller/AQ Dosing Pump/AQT LEDS/AQ SMS/Seq Dart Pump/ASM G3/Ozotech Ozonizer/Koralin 1502/Chiller/Typhoon3 Ro/S.Squirt /Phos React/Rmt DSB
RobbyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/16/2020, 12:18 PM   #12
dakitez
Registered Member

I am in the same situation as you. Coming back after 10 or more years myself. The leds have me amazed compared to the lighting options back then. The color changing options, small size, low wattage, low heat, etc. it just blows me away. Honestly without those I probably would not be as eager to get back into the hobby. Good luck on your build

dakitez is offline   Reply With Quote