Reef Central Online Community
Live Aquaria

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Old 05/01/2019, 01:34 PM   #626
Chasmodes
Registered Member

Thank you Michael. You might be right, nature has a way of balancing the carrying capacity.

--Kevin Wilson

Current Tank Info: 101g 3'X3'X18" Cubish Oyster Reef Blenny tank, 36"X17"X18" sump
Chasmodes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/02/2019, 07:23 AM   #627
Chasmodes
Registered Member

The male striped blennies are very bold. When I search the tank with my magnifying glass, the blenny that defends the left side of the tank often charges me, trying to scare me away from his territory. I've always wanted to catch it on film. Until last night, he was the only one that did it.

Last night, I was trying to zoom in and film the anemones in the sand at the front, center, of the tank near the glass. The male blenny that guards the back/middle of the oyster reef charged out and tried to attack me and the camera! I caught it on film, however, he was way out of focus and it looked like a big blur. So, I focused the camera on him, and tried to coax him to do it again. Only, this time, although he didn't charge all the way to the glass, it still turned out pretty cool. This video captures that event. This might be my favorite of the blenny videos that I made

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fiZptMeBXnw

--Kevin Wilson

Current Tank Info: 101g 3'X3'X18" Cubish Oyster Reef Blenny tank, 36"X17"X18" sump
Old 05/02/2019, 07:53 AM   #628
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

That was pretty cool! And those eyes!

Current Tank Info: 180g Seagrass Sandbar Lagoon, START DATE November 28, 2018
Michael Hoaster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05/03/2019, 07:07 AM   #629
Chasmodes
Registered Member

Last night, I was able to catch some really cool spawning activity on the video. One of male blennies was able to successfully herd the female blenny into a shell to spawn. He worked hard to get her there, but, he did it. The only problem was, it wasn't his favorite shell that he was hoping to herd her into. Still, it was really cool watching how he did it, and, I captured it on film. Also, to make this video even more interesting, another male blenny attacked the camera again, this time, an all out attack! Yesterday's vid was my favorite, but this one blows it away. I hope y'all like it!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pye10R65qT4&t=5s

--Kevin Wilson

Old 05/03/2019, 08:10 AM   #630
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

Game of Shells! You really did a great job building your oyster cultches. The fish move through them so naturally. Cool that you got that attack on film! That would seem to confirm increased territoriality.

Old 05/03/2019, 08:57 AM   #631
Chasmodes
Registered Member

Thank you Michael!

Each blenny has their range, and when they're within their range, if there is a scuffle, they usually win the battle, regardless if the other blenny is bigger. They challenge each other, now and then, but, for the most part, when they leave their range, they lose that aggressiveness, almost. But around their oyster shell, they become super aggressive, even against me!

--Kevin Wilson

Old 05/15/2019, 07:49 AM   #632
Chasmodes
Registered Member

I've got three videos to share for this update:

This first one is only 16 seconds long, and shows three of the anemones that I've found recently in the tank. Not long ago, I thought that all of the anemones died off. When I first discovered that they survived and reproduced a few weeks ago, I counted six. I counted a dozen last night. They're small, so I had to zoom all the way in with my iPhone, which made the video a bit shaky.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HmeknDgkurM

This next video is about a minute long, and showcases the male skilletfish (Gobiesox strumosus). This is the same male that was guarding eggs at the back of the tank in the previous video. He's since moved to the front of the tank and has established this clam shell as his new territory.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uM_S5tEXA-w

This last video showcases both naked gobies (Gobiosoma bosc) and skilletfish. I wanted to show more of them since most of my recent videos focused on the blennies so much. A blenny makes a cameo appearance at the end of the video. The video pans back and forth between the two species, and starts out following a couple male naked gobies posturing for territorial dominance. Later in the video, I captured the male skilletfish trying to coax the female skilletfish into his shell. This takes place after feeding time, so the tank substrate is still a bit messy. This vid is a little longer at 5 minutes.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w6mdXPeKhjI

I hope that y'all enjoy them.

--Kevin Wilson

Old 05/16/2019, 07:23 AM   #633
Chasmodes
Registered Member

I wasn't going to shoot a video last night, but, I couldn't help it. I saw this male striped blenny (Chasmodes bosquianus) corral a female blenny into his shell. I quickly grabbed my camera to see what happened next. His attempts to keep her in there until he could squeeze in with her were fascinating. After that, they attempted to lay eggs. When it was all over, I'm not sure if they laid any or not, because there may have been eggs in there already. It was a cool attempt though! This is the first time that I've witnessed this stage of blennies spawning. I've seen them corral a female into a shell, and I've seen them afterwards together in a shell, but, not this activity in between. It's a longer video, but, for blenny addicts, it's interesting. I hope you like it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QNDCiRCe8N4

--Kevin Wilson

Old 05/17/2019, 06:56 AM   #634
Chasmodes
Registered Member

It's not a very good pic because of the angle that I had to shoot from, but, you can see the eggs that were laid during the filming of that last video. Those eggs were laid in just 11 minutes (the length of the video). I find that amazing. There weren't any eggs on that shell prior to the video.

--Kevin Wilson

Old 05/17/2019, 10:25 AM   #635
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

Fun vids!

It's good to see your nems coming back. Is there any concern of them going all 'aiptasia' on you? The skillet fish looks very content in his clam shell - a happy camper! I loved the back and forth battle of detritus sweeping in the third one. In the last vid, I was struck by what lengths us males go to, to keep a woman! It's universal!

The last pic reminds me that you've got a lot of eggs going in your tank! That can only mean you've got some very happy and healthy fish. It's very impressive!

Old 05/17/2019, 01:01 PM   #636
Chasmodes
Registered Member

Thank you Michael.

Yeah, the anemone comeback is quite surprising. The male skilletfish coloration perfectly matches the clam, while the female one that stopped by to visit tends to resemble more of the oyster reef coloration. Pretty cool!

Detritus wars LOL.

After watching the last video, I almost had this urge to smoke a cigarette.

--Kevin Wilson

Old 06/03/2019, 02:24 PM   #637
Chasmodes
Registered Member

Here's a quick peek at a male striped blenny (Chasmodes bosquianus) that comes out to attack the camera. You can see some of the spawning coloration, such as the blue spot and yellow/orange streak on the dorsal fin, orange tail, orange trimmed over yellow pectoral fins, orange lips and the orange/peach patch on the operculum.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LKkbl2d3PPA

--Kevin Wilson

Last edited by Chasmodes; 06/03/2019 at 02:30 PM.
Old 06/03/2019, 03:20 PM   #638
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

Wow, he really colors up!

Old 06/04/2019, 08:13 AM   #639
Chasmodes
Registered Member

They don't have the brightest coloration compared to reef fish, but do have some coloration and have a subtle beauty about them. The problem is getting them to pose for a pic and display their fins fully. When they're out, they're constantly moving too quick for me to get a good picture or video. Most of the time, they poke their heads out of oyster shells and watch the world around them. They leave the shells constantly, but, most of the time, it's for quick trips to eat, chase off rivals, or to attract females. The best time to film them is when they're flashing the females. This guy decided to stay out long enough for me to get a decent shot of him. Thankfully, he charged the camera, otherwise, I may only had his head poking out of his shell.

Time for a video tank update, shot the other day after my "monthly" water change. Monthly is in quotes, because that is what I've decided on for a schedule. In practice, it's more like every third month, LOL. The fish were all curious and poking their heads out. I thought that the tank looked nice and bright, so, I took a video. Hope y'all like it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nnOwRY1i7r4

As far as news of the tank goes. I saw blenny larvae the last few nights, so it's good to see the eggs hatching again. Remember I found 3 or 4 anemones last week, then 20 a few days later? Last night, I found 30 of them. They are all in the sand bed, none stuck to the glass or oysters. There are good many jellyfish polyps in the tank too. The lone barnacle is still hanging in there. And, I was worried about my large male skilletfish that wasn't eating. Three of the last four feedings, he ate some. He used to eat like a pig. Now, he's picky. I don't get it. But, at least he's eating.

--Kevin Wilson

Old 06/04/2019, 08:48 AM   #640
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

And those eyes! True, subtle beauty. Your frustration with getting pics reminded me of my Atlantic Blue Tang, Mr. Zippy. He wouldn't sit still either. I took hundreds of pics to get one decent one. Even then, if you got one in focus, the background would be very blurry. Nature of the beast, I guess.

Mesmerizing video! I like the shot at 1:53, when you got the blenny in tight focus. Great moment! Good to hear everything's going so well. For me, the only thing missing is plants. I can imagine lots of them behind and around the oyster cultches. I do look forward to the big tank!

Old 06/05/2019, 06:54 AM   #641
Chasmodes
Registered Member

I have some good news. A buddy of mine was able to collect some eel grass and is using it in his tanks. He said when I'm ready to start up the big tank, he'd give me some or we'd go collect more at his spot. I want the grass to take off, so, I will be modeling my big tank a lot like your v2! Thanks for paving the way Michael!

My big tank will be up and running this summer. I did more work on the roots last weekend. It wasn't picture worthy, but progress. I plan to paint the grout on them this weekend, and maybe the Drylok too, if all goes well. After that dries and if it looks good, the FW stream tank will be ready for set up, and that frees up my stand (converting my work bench back into an aquarium stand).

Regarding the stand, I think that I'll just use it as it is, to get the tank up and running. I may just paint it and leave it open. If I finish it to look like a nice piece of furniture, then I'll do it later, maybe build a facade. That way, it won't affect the operation of the tank at all.

So, other than just doing it, what else do I need?

1) I need to figure out a way to hang my lights, and it's not a problem, I just need to make a decision on how I'd like to do it.

2) I need to upgrade the electrical infrastructure to accommodate all of my equipment. It's not a deal breaker and won't stop me from the initial set up.

3) The sump... will be in the basement, so, I need to run plumbing through the wall in a way that it doesn't look bad. This isn't a deal breaker either, because I can always add that later.

4) Deciding on an overflow and drilling the tank, once I take action on the sump.

5) I have yet to set up my RO/DI. I need to do that, but, it won't stop the tank set up. I've been using well water all along without the filtration, so, this would be an enhancement down the road. It is something that I can do right away though.

6) The last thing that I'd like to do is set up a nice water changing station. It's not a deal breaker either. I'm OK shuttling buckets.

So, simple first, then improve later. I'll start sumpless. The only difference in the set up of the tank from my current tank will be to build the substrate like you did, Michael, then establish the ecosystem, with plants. I'm sure at the point, the grasses and macros will do much better than in the tank that I have right now.

--Kevin Wilson

Old 06/05/2019, 07:39 AM   #642
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

That is good news! That's a good idea, listing the things you need to do. I love a good list. Be careful on putting off some of it. Ask yourself, "when is the best (easiest) time to get this done?" Or, "if I do this later, how will I do it?" Just some thoughts.

Good luck with the new setup(s)!

Old 06/05/2019, 09:35 AM   #643
Chasmodes
Registered Member

Thank you Michael. Thank you for the advice. I'm listening, for sure.

I could set up the sump in the same room for the short term. Putting it in the basement is for convenience, where my RO/DI unit will be (and future water changing station).

--Kevin Wilson

Old 06/05/2019, 10:03 AM   #644
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

My pleasure, Kevin. I just don't want my only influence to be to 'hurry up and get it up and running'. It probably feels that way, sometimes.

Old 06/05/2019, 10:12 AM   #645
Chasmodes
Registered Member

Ah, not at all Michael. Trust me, it pains me to not have this project moving along faster. I have plenty of motivation to get it done. Even my wife asks about it and wants it done. Most of the procrastination is me overthinking things combined with other life events getting in the way (some good and some bad). I want to be able to finish the project so I can enjoy my dream tank. The fact that anyone else in the world is interested is great, and adds plenty of inspiration for me, in a positive way, to finish the project.

--Kevin Wilson

Old 06/06/2019, 06:28 AM   #646
Chasmodes
Registered Member

Well, I'm going to spam y'all with another video. I filmed this the other night to try and capture all of the life in my tank. I guess that I did, but after watching it on YT, it turned out better than I thought at first. I panned the fish first, then the invertebrates (barnacle, anemones, jellyfish polyps), then back to the fish. I hope y'all like it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ARw8tgqlGNs

--Kevin Wilson

Old 06/06/2019, 08:21 AM   #647
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

Pretty cool! It makes me wonder if conditions were just to their liking, would those anemones become invasive, like aiptasias?

Old 06/06/2019, 08:32 AM   #648
Chasmodes
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Hoaster View Post
Pretty cool! It makes me wonder if conditions were just to their liking, would those anemones become invasive, like aiptasias?
I think it's the former, conditions to their liking. The fish don't seem to mind the anemones or jellyfish polyps. They're probably not good for the fish larvae though. But, if I'm going to raise the larvae, then I'll remove them from the tank anyway.

--Kevin Wilson

Old 06/06/2019, 08:46 AM   #649
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

That makes sense. A few is fine, right? Thousands, not so much.

I don't know if you remember how bad aiptasias got in my previous tank, but it was one of several invasive species I had that convinced me to tear down my tank. I had hoped that my obsessive level of going after them would win the battle, but it didn't. I have no idea how bad yours can be, but I'd hate to see you go through what I went through.

Old 06/06/2019, 09:05 AM   #650
Chasmodes
Registered Member

Fortunately, the sting of this species of anemone is much more mild than that of the sting of Aiptasia anemones, so I don't really mind much of they populate the tank. I guess the only danger that these present is that they will consume the pods and perhaps fish fry. My thought is that since there aren't any corals in the bay, these would be my version of corals. Eventually, I think that their numbers will stabilize. I will add more other invertebrates as time goes on. Perhaps adding more filter feeders will increase competition and result in the population stabilzing more.

One thing that I've noticed is that the anemones seem to prefer the sand bed, while the jellyfish polyps seem to prefer attaching to shells. Some of the jellyfish polyps in the video seem like their in the sand, but there are shells underneath the sand that they're attached too. The gobies constantly fan sand out of their hidng spots and cover up the cniderians.

--Kevin Wilson