Reef Central Online Community
Tunze USA

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Large Reef Tanks
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Old 01/29/2013, 07:40 PM   #1376
edman79
Registered Member

I saw that you have to dive into the tank if you have to fix anything due to it's depth. But how do you get out? Can the sides of the tank support you getting out? Or do you have someone pull you out?

Eddie Ed

edman79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/29/2013, 10:04 PM   #1377
danfeig
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERivera65 View Post
Ok thats great Dan. I am going through an ich problem myself with my scopas tang. What are you treating your Atlantic tangs with? I am currently doing a hyposalinity treatment to my quarantine tank for three clowns and scopas tang.
Erwin,

I haven't been treating them with any chemicals. I have been feeding them 3x per day and have been soaking their food in either garlic or selcon. I have a small coralife uv on the tank. I am changing the filter and water 2x weekly.

So far, so good. They are both eating well and seem to be doing pretty good.

Old 01/29/2013, 10:06 PM   #1378
danfeig
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdm18honda View Post
wow great build and video
Thanks jdm18honda! I appreciate the compliments.

Old 01/29/2013, 10:18 PM   #1379
danfeig
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by techreef View Post
There is so much information packed into that fish room video tour. Thanks! I see that you have your Radions fairly close to the water surface. Mine are the same over my 90G tank, just because the canopy restricts how high I can hang them. Do you see any issues with your lenses accumulating salt spray, or the units getting too moist? I find that microbubbles rise to the surface and pop underneath my lights, spraying them a little when I turn my return pump back on after feeding the tank, and the spray accumulates over time.
Thank you techreef!

I get a lot of micro bubbles on the Radions above my 150 gallon tank. The ones over my display a little less. I try to wipe them off on Fridays when I do my tank maintenance. I don't necessarily get to do it every week, but I do it often enough.

Old 01/29/2013, 10:20 PM   #1380
danfeig
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by srf11 View Post
I always dig catching up on all the additions/upgrades in this thread! Upgrading my reef from a 72g to a 180g over the next month but it sure aint no fish room!!
Thanks srf11!

Make sure you set up a build thread so we can all follow along!

Old 01/30/2013, 05:05 AM   #1381
Crazy_Beaver
Registered Member

Everything looks great Dan

Current Tank: Beaver's Crazy Reef (51X39X25, powered by ATB , Hyperion R2, Tunze )
Crazy_Beaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/30/2013, 07:30 AM   #1382
david00061
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by danfeig View Post
So one of the deals that I made with my wife and kids last week... I'd take them to all the parks at Disney World and Universal Studios - provided, they would come with me to World Wide Corals and some of the other LFS while in Orlando.

Newbie Aquarist (Wayne, Leroy or Reefing is my middle name) and David00061 were both customers and spoke very highly of them. David00061 introduced me to Victor from World Wide Corals at MACNA this past year.

My experience at World Wide Corals was nothing less than outstanding and exceeded any expectations that I had.

First off, when I walked into the store with my wife and kids, we were immediately greeted by friendly staff. A few minutes later, Victor came out to say hello and assist us. This is the first LFS that I have gone into with my wife where she did not complain about the "fish" smell. There was no odor from skimmers, stale water or fish. The place smelled absolutely fresh and clean.

Before I was through looking at the display tank, the most remarkable thing happened. My son came up to me and said, "You're not going to believe this, mom found a coral she likes!" A minute later my daughter found some fish that she liked and then again, my wife found another coral she liked. What is a man to do? This all took place while I was still looking at the display tanks!

Time was limited as we were flying home that afternoon (Wednesday), so I took a bunch of pictures of corals that I liked and told Victor that I would email him with everything I was interested in. Fortunately or unfortunately I was interested in a lot! Victor had some of the nicest acan colonies that I have ever seen.

I didn't waste anytime. Our flight home had internet available and I emailed Victor. The next morning, yesterday, I had a response from Victor when I got into the office. Needless to say, he was very accommodating and thus todays special FedEx Friday.

The pictures are all from my iPhone so they really don't give the corals justice.

[IMG][/IMG]

This is the first coral that my wife really liked. A beautiful Dendrophyllia coral that is about 6"x6". I can't wait for it to open up!

[IMG][/IMG]

These are the fish that my daughter loved. A beautiful and unusual pair of Domino Clownfish. Victor has had them for over a year. They are gorgeous!!!

[IMG][/IMG]

This picture does not give the following the slightest bit of justice. It is the largest Acan colony I have ever seen! It is "L" shaped and a good 15"x12". It is hard to tell the colors by the photo. It is orange, blue, purple and green.

[IMG][/IMG]

The next picture was another coral that my wife loved. It is a pinkish/orange flowerpot or Goniopora coral. It's just starting to open up.

[IMG][/IMG]

I fell in love with the attached Symphyllia Coral as soon as I saw it. It is a beautiful green and purple striped coral.

[IMG][/IMG]

Lastly, was a beautiful mushroom rock with bright green mushrooms. I am hoping tomorrow that it will all be opened.

[IMG][/IMG]

I need to add one last thing about World Wide Corals that was incredibly impressive. I have ordered thousands of dollars worth of corals, fish and equipment online, from several different vendors. Tonight, I received a call from Victor and his partner making sure that my order arrived okay and that I was satisfied with everything. I couldn't believe it! What incredible customer service and gratitude. It has never happened before with any of my other orders.

I hope to be able to have Griffin come out and take some better pictures for you shortly.
I missed this post. The guys at world wide corals are very helpful. Shop is set up real nice

2 mp60's 4 mp40's, GEO 818 calcium reactor
SRO XP 8000 external skimmer
david00061 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/30/2013, 02:31 PM   #1383
danfeig
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPotter View Post
WOW Dan just amazing as always. Are you going to upgrade your lights to the Pro model?
Thanks Steve.

Absolutely upgrading the lights! I am real happy with Ecotech and the Radions. The growth that I have enjoyed is fantastic. That being said, I can only imagine the growth rate being improved, especially down deep, with the new Radion models.

Old 01/30/2013, 05:02 PM   #1384
danfeig
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by edman79 View Post
I saw that you have to dive into the tank if you have to fix anything due to it's depth. But how do you get out? Can the sides of the tank support you getting out? Or do you have someone pull you out?

Eddie Ed
I haven't needed to be in since the early stages. I would have to brace myself on one of the corners (the tank is wrapped in steal braces) to get out. With my new scaffold system, I can basically just lean over if need be and I have acquired lots of different tools to take out or move things on the bottom of the tank.

Old 01/30/2013, 05:04 PM   #1385
danfeig
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy_Beaver View Post
Everything looks great Dan
Thanks Beave!!!

Things are real stable and growing like mad.

Old 01/30/2013, 05:05 PM   #1386
danfeig
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by david00061 View Post
I missed this post. The guys at world wide corals are very helpful. Shop is set up real nice
I am real happy with my purchases from World Wide Corals. I will definitely be ordering from them again!

Old 01/30/2013, 08:01 PM   #1387
Hawg Pharm
Registered Member

I hope you guys realize that every time you say you like a company, I have to go to their site and bookmark it. I think I'm up to 25 or so at this point. That also goes with the labels on your packaging when you're happy with the delivery. I am in so much trouble when I start this project.

Hawg Pharm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/30/2013, 10:31 PM   #1388
danfeig
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawg Pharm View Post
I hope you guys realize that every time you say you like a company, I have to go to their site and bookmark it. I think I'm up to 25 or so at this point. That also goes with the labels on your packaging when you're happy with the delivery. I am in so much trouble when I start this project.
Save up Hawg Pharm!!!

I think it is important for all of us to recognize and give credit to those companies that offer great products, livestock and customer service. It's equally important for us to advise against those companies that don't honor their warranties or whose products/livestock are not up to standards.

Old 02/01/2013, 12:37 AM   #1389
danfeig
RC Sponsor

A Few Recent Pics...

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Old 02/01/2013, 03:26 AM   #1390
Crazy_Beaver
Registered Member

Keep them coming!!!!!!!!!

Current Tank: Beaver's Crazy Reef (51X39X25, powered by ATB , Hyperion R2, Tunze )
Crazy_Beaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/01/2013, 05:09 AM   #1391
david00061
Registered Member

i like em

2 mp60's 4 mp40's, GEO 818 calcium reactor
SRO XP 8000 external skimmer
david00061 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/01/2013, 11:36 AM   #1392
techreef
Registered Member

beautiful pics.

techreef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/01/2013, 01:23 PM   #1393
Thanksgramps
Registered Member

Did I miss a post where you finally got a new camera? Those pictures are amazing.

Thanksgramps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/01/2013, 02:19 PM   #1394
dotcommer
Registered Member

great pics. Now we just need to full tank video, heck just shoot it with your iphone. No edits needed :-)

Current Tank Info: Redsea Max 250 Mixed Reef, 125 Gal FOWLR, 90 Gal Mixed Reef, 30 Gal Fresh Water
dotcommer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/01/2013, 02:54 PM   #1395
Newbie Aquarist
Reefing is my middle name

I love the Sally light foots.

Sent from my iPhone using Siri and Tapatalk.

Newbie Aquarist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/01/2013, 09:08 PM   #1396
Hawg Pharm
Registered Member

Beautiful photos. Every time I get overwhelmed and second guess my desire to go through with this project I simply come here to be reminded of the possibilities. If anything, kudos for keeping my dream alive.

Hawg Pharm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/02/2013, 01:02 PM   #1397
danfeig
RC Sponsor

Lightning Storm - Radions

So before Sam left back for school, he came over late one night when the lights were winding down. When he was here, one of the randomly programmed storms commenced.

My Radions are randomly programmed (storm mode) for a 20% cloud coverage and 20% chance of storms. So every few days, randomly, a 5-7 minute storm occurs.

Sam didn't have his good camera with him, with all the macro lenses, filters, etc., but he did manage to shoot this quick video and attach some music to it. It's not very long and the color isn't the best, but it give you the idea.

Last edited by danfeig; 02/02/2013 at 01:10 PM.
danfeig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/02/2013, 06:33 PM   #1398
adamPL
Registered Member

Nice done, I love it

adamPL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/02/2013, 08:23 PM   #1399
dotcommer
Registered Member

OMG, Now that is one active reef. You can probably just sit there for hours watching the tank. Seeing it like this really puts a perspective on all those boxes of live fish and corals you have been receiving from FedX :-)

Thanks for listening and providing a full tank shot. I can't wait for the longer one he makes with the lights on bright. make sure its a minimum of 10 minutes. :-)

Current Tank Info: Redsea Max 250 Mixed Reef, 125 Gal FOWLR, 90 Gal Mixed Reef, 30 Gal Fresh Water
dotcommer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/02/2013, 10:08 PM   #1400
austin56column
Registered Member

That is just bad *$$.. i love it... maybe one day... lol

Current Tank Info: 90rr
austin56column is offline   Reply With Quote