Reef Central Online Community
Neptune Systems

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Large Reef Tanks
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Old 03/30/2014, 04:30 PM   #2651
o2manyfish
Registered Member

Hey Dan,

If you want a Bucket of Cheato for them to munch on, hit me up.

Dave B

Current Tank Info: 560g SPS Dominant Reef / 1500g Total System
o2manyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/30/2014, 08:46 PM   #2652
danfeig
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by kinlayan View Post
Danfeig , how long have you had the red goniopora for? do you target feed them? and what do you use?
I have had my large red for several months now. My green goniopora I have had for over 1 year. I don't target feed directly. 3 times per week I poor my defrosted food into my sump by the intake of my pump. It spreads through my lock line and everything gets fed. I also poor a mixture of copepods, rotifers and phyto into my tank twice per week.

There is never a lack of food in my system!

Old 03/30/2014, 08:47 PM   #2653
danfeig
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by rygar View Post
Oh my goodness...I got a lotta reading to do to catch up on this one! Caught a quick glimpse of the tank but don't want to spoil it. This is great.
Thanks rygar! Let me know if you have any questions...

Old 03/30/2014, 09:43 PM   #2654
danfeig
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPotter View Post
Cant wait to see this!!!!! I've had to live vicariously thru everyone else on here for the last 9 months so I love seeing what everyone else is doing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpsti05 View Post
We need another pic update and fish room update!
Quote:
Originally Posted by o2manyfish View Post
Okay Dan what did you get new this week...

You post that your LFS was hitting the coral suppliers.

My Facebook for Fishy Bizness posted photos of them at the LA Wholesalers....

So what goodies did you get ?

Come on.... Dazzle us buddy !!!!!!!!

Dave B
I have to keep you in suspense…..I am going to have someone come over next week and shoot some pictures of my new additions and the fish room.

Old 03/30/2014, 10:59 PM   #2655
danfeig
RC Sponsor

Whitetail Bristletooth Tang UPDATE

All seems to be going really well!

They ate 3 times today and although they are still pretty timid and shy, they have been coming out a lot more. They just need to get used to me watching them so much!

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Old 03/31/2014, 09:36 AM   #2656
Newbie Aquarist
Reefing is my middle name

Those are some beautiful fish Dan. A must add to the fish collection.

Newbie Aquarist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/31/2014, 11:39 AM   #2657
Benson0219
Registered Member

Nice fish! Tank is looking great.

Current Tank Info: 180 Gallon Reef Tank
Benson0219 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/01/2014, 10:42 AM   #2658
danfeig
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denadai View Post
Amazing tank !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelen View Post
Beautiful tank! I just spend the better part of my afternoon browsing through the images.

The detail of images giving a great view of what goes into and around a tank this size. I thank you for that! Really well kept diary so to speak.
Thank you for the nice compliments guys!

Old 04/01/2014, 09:00 PM   #2659
delmo
Registered Member

Nice Gem Tangs! You have 3 or 4?
Pricey little buggers!
Nice thread, have been quietly (vicariously) watching your progress.
Nice setup and quite a creme' del a crem of tanks.
If money was no object, I'd be right there, with my wife on board too she loves our 90 gal.

Thanks for all the learning curves you went through and updates. Just for the record I miss Fedex Fridays too!

delmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/09/2014, 01:06 AM   #2660
deazwe
Registered Member

Dan,

I've gone through all 107 pages of your tank history and I have to say, this is the most impressive and insightful collection of information on the hobby I have seen. The tank is amazing and has renewed my want for a larger and more awesome tank. When I see a display tank like yours the main thing it says to me is (and it is in a whisper) "Doug, look at that tank! You could do that too!".

Thanks for your diligence in getting your trials and tribulations out there and available for the rest of us to learn from.

Doug

deazwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/17/2014, 10:51 AM   #2661
danfeig
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by moore1811 View Post
What a beautiful tank, it's been truly amazing watching it develop over the last year or so. Congratulations on your success!
Thanks moore1811!

I appreciate the compliments!

Old 04/17/2014, 10:56 AM   #2662
danfeig
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newbie Aquarist View Post
Those are some beautiful fish Dan. A must add to the fish collection.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benson0219 View Post
Nice fish! Tank is looking great.
Thanks guys!

All of the Whitetails are doing fantastic! They are beautiful fish! I am still surprised that I saw them on the list. I searched a long time for them! It's amazing to me how many hobbyist emailed me asking where to buy them.

Old 04/28/2014, 01:13 PM   #2663
Rbrownhornet
Registered Member

A bit late to this thread but what a beautiful tank and impressive setup. Thanks for sharing.

Rbrownhornet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/28/2014, 11:23 PM   #2664
prickles
Premium Member

you told me you have 0 nitrates all of a sudden potentially due to lots of pods. Is that still the case and do you think that's the cause?

prickles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/05/2014, 06:45 PM   #2665
delmo
Registered Member

I thought that the White tail Bristle-tooth tangs were the same as Gem tangs, but I stand corrected. I understand they are a very rare tang, way to go!
Awesome tank and thread. Thanks!

delmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/07/2014, 12:02 PM   #2666
ntrlsur
Registered Member

Great looking system. Took me 3 days to cover the 107 pages but was well worth it. How long do you plan on keeping the Bristle's in QT?

ntrlsur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/19/2014, 06:49 PM   #2667
danfeig
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by deazwe View Post
Dan,

I've gone through all 107 pages of your tank history and I have to say, this is the most impressive and insightful collection of information on the hobby I have seen. The tank is amazing and has renewed my want for a larger and more awesome tank. When I see a display tank like yours the main thing it says to me is (and it is in a whisper) "Doug, look at that tank! You could do that too!".

Thanks for your diligence in getting your trials and tribulations out there and available for the rest of us to learn from.

Doug
Thanks Doug.

You can do it! It's a lot of fun too!!!

Old 05/19/2014, 06:49 PM   #2668
danfeig
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rbrownhornet View Post
A bit late to this thread but what a beautiful tank and impressive setup. Thanks for sharing.
Thanks Rbrownhornet!

You are never too late as things are constantly changing.

Old 05/19/2014, 07:06 PM   #2669
danfeig
RC Sponsor

Nitrates and Pods..

Quote:
Originally Posted by prickles View Post
you told me you have 0 nitrates all of a sudden potentially due to lots of pods. Is that still the case and do you think that's the cause?
Alex,

I am thoroughly convinced! I have no other explanations!

Guys, I have always had significant Nitrates. Normally in the 20 - 40 range. I like to feed, 20 - 24 cubes per day along with Nori and pellets in my auto feeder.

To combat my Nitrates, I have a separate tank for a large, basketball sized ball of chaeto, tumbling under Radions. I have a large sand reactor and perform significant water changes.

About six (6) weeks ago, my Nitrates dropped down to zero and I could not figure out why. I thought something was wrong with my test kits. So I bought a second set and took a water sample into my LFS. They all showed zero. I even sent a sample to aquariumwatertesting.com and they confirmed my results.

What was different?

About two months ago, Fishy Bizness Aquatics started carrying live copepods, rotifers and phyto. I started bringing home a bag of each every Friday and pouring them into my refugium and sump. That is the only thing I have done differently! My LFS manager, Michael, has convinced me that the pods are helping eat and further break down the detritus.

The past two weeks, I have been even feeding more liberally.

Old 05/19/2014, 09:56 PM   #2670
Raptor72
Registered Member

You've got Radions just for chaeto! Man life is rough

Current Tank Info: Red Sea Reefer 750 XXL, Red Sea 170
Raptor72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/20/2014, 11:25 AM   #2671
danfeig
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntrlsur View Post
Great looking system. Took me 3 days to cover the 107 pages but was well worth it. How long do you plan on keeping the Bristle's in QT?
Good question. In order for them to get into my main display, they would need to go over three (3) overflows and through three (3) different sets of Filter Socks.

I am not saying that I don't have any Bristle worms in my main display. I have never seen any, however, I also have a number of wrasses that probably keep them at a minimum.

Old 05/20/2014, 11:47 AM   #2672
SPotter
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by danfeig View Post
Good question. In order for them to get into my main display, they would need to go over three (3) overflows and through three (3) different sets of Filter Socks.

I am not saying that I don't have any Bristle worms in my main display. I have never seen any, however, I also have a number of wrasses that probably keep them at a minimum.
I think he meant the tangs Dan

Am I really doing all of this for a fish tank??????

Current Tank Info: 360g Envision Acrylic Tank, Closed Loops, Vectra L1's, MP40QD's, 400w Radiums, Regal 300ext, Dastaco Ext3 CaRx, Controlled by GHL Profilux
SPotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/20/2014, 11:56 AM   #2673
danfeig
RC Sponsor

Quote:
I think he meant the tangs Dan
LOL!

My bad. Someone had just asked me about bristle worms in my sea horse tank/refugium.

I have been away from here too long!

The Whitetails Bristletooth Tangs will remain in QT throughout most of the summer. I want to fatten them up a little bit first. I will probably build a new egg-crate divider and place them into my main display sometime in July.

I am looking at getting a couple of Black Tangs too. If they arrive in the next couple of weeks, things might get delayed further so that I can introduce all of them into my main display at the same time.

Old 05/20/2014, 11:57 AM   #2674
SPotter
Registered Member

I did like you description on what the worms would have to do in order to get into the dt though!!!!!

Am I really doing all of this for a fish tank??????

Current Tank Info: 360g Envision Acrylic Tank, Closed Loops, Vectra L1's, MP40QD's, 400w Radiums, Regal 300ext, Dastaco Ext3 CaRx, Controlled by GHL Profilux
SPotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/20/2014, 03:37 PM   #2675
Newbie Aquarist
Reefing is my middle name

Quote:
I did like you description on what the worms would have to do in order to get into the dt though!!!!!

The Bristleworm Olympics. lolololol

Newbie Aquarist is offline   Reply With Quote