Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Large Reef Tanks
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Old 12/20/2012, 10:08 PM   #1151
danfeig
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRJ View Post
Gorgeous. You are living my dream build, and i love the use of radion's throughout. excited for more!
Thanks CRJ! I appreciate the compliments!

I am very happy with the Radions. I just got two more for my 150 gallon tank. The growth that I have had with them has been spectacular!

I had an issue with one of them earlier this week. I noticed one evening after the lights when out, an occasional red flash in the tank. I called Ecotech Marine the next morning and apparently it is a notification alert that one of my fans on the light is out. So what does Ecotech do????? They are sending me out a replacement light that I should have in the morning, along with a return label to return my existing unit.

Amazing customer service!

Old 12/20/2012, 10:11 PM   #1152
danfeig
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Made2Rock View Post
The scarfolding is already in my book and I'll tossing in some sort of guard around the top like angle iron to stop weight from being put on the tank when I lean over.... I'm watching and learning and vote YES for a video. I'm not the only one that seems to wonder what life with a deep tank is like. The scarfolding really sounds great and I can tell you like it but it is hard to imagine standing in the back and trying to do something in the lower front of that tank with the movement on the surface and long tools....

You do the video and I'll bring the popcorn how does that sound?

Joe
Just bring a 12-pack and we can sit back and enjoy everything. I'll think about the video...

Old 12/20/2012, 10:15 PM   #1153
CRJ
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by danfeig View Post
Thanks CRJ! I appreciate the compliments!

I am very happy with the Radions. I just got two more for my 150 gallon tank. The growth that I have had with them has been spectacular!

I had an issue with one of them earlier this week. I noticed one evening after the lights when out, an occasional red flash in the tank. I called Ecotech Marine the next morning and apparently it is a notification alert that one of my fans on the light is out. So what does Ecotech do????? They are sending me out a replacement light that I should have in the morning, along with a return label to return my existing unit.

Amazing customer service!

Good to know they have such features. I bought mine used, was still able to setup warranty on it. Looking at a second one but one a small budget im going to light my new 60 gallon with one and keep softies and lps till i save for #2.

Any new pics? I spend hours scrolling threads for sweet pictures when i have some free time at work.

CRJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/21/2012, 10:32 AM   #1154
SPotter
Registered Member

Hey Dan, happy holidays to you and your family!!! I was wondering what you used to bond the rocks together when you built your pillars? I am making some changes inside my dt and I am going to be doing my aquascape over again. Also, now that your tank has been up for a while, is there anything you dont like or would have done differently with the rock structures?

Am I really doing all of this for a fish tank??????

Current Tank Info: 360g Envision Acrylic Tank, Closed Loops, Vectra L1's, MP40QD's, 400w Radiums, Regal 300ext, Dastaco Ext3 CaRx, Controlled by GHL Profilux
SPotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/21/2012, 01:42 PM   #1155
Robby2782
Registered Member

I just read your build from the beginning, and i am amazed! I love the whole setup and you have given several great ideas.

Robby2782 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/21/2012, 08:52 PM   #1156
danfeig
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Sik1500 View Post
An amazing build. Took me all day @ Work to finish it. Cant wait for more matured coral updated photos!
Thank you for the compliments! I hope to post more pictures and possibly a video this weekend.

Old 12/21/2012, 09:27 PM   #1157
danfeig
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgaudreau View Post
Nice,
Go Visit all fish emporium at the corner of Cypress Creek Road and University Drive. Also call Bernard at Marine Net, (954) 279 5889. He is at Commercial and Nob Hill in a little warehouse area. He gets amazing corals, big pieces and suppies a lot of retailers that frag them. There is also a little store on Atlanctic boulevard east of US1 called Eco Reef I buy all of my reef products from them, they have a great magnesium, a product called calcium carbonator that replace Kalwasser which is amazing and what I think is the best phosphate remover around if you ever have a phosphate issue. I am in Lighthouse Point, which is about 10, 15 minutes from Boca Raton depending on where in Boca you are. If you need anyone to show you those stores or give you the best places around to go eat in town let me know and I will pm you my number, I am around during the holidays there is not much going on in the real estate world during that time anyway and all our properties are finished and delivered, and so far I dont see what looks like a 500 gallon tak under the Christmas tree, so I have lots of time.
Thanks pgaudreau!

I have written down all the addresses and will try to pay a visit to the stores next week.

It could be that the 500 gallon tank is just too big to fit under the xmas tree. Perhaps she plans on having it delivered Christmas morning....

Old 12/21/2012, 09:40 PM   #1158
danfeig
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by elvischam View Post
beautiful
Thanks Elvischam!

Old 12/22/2012, 07:20 PM   #1159
danfeig
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Sik1500 View Post
Dont forget to go by World Wide Corals!!! Great place with some amazing corals. They are roughly 25 Mintues from Disney/ Universal.

They have the 1 of 1 Albino White Tang..
http://www.worldwidecorals.com/

Enjoy your time in Florida, The weather is nice right now. High of 75*

Thanks 1Sik1500!

I will definitely get to World Wide Corals! I visited their booth and David0061 introduced me to everyone when I was at MACNA this year. I am looking forward to my visit and I am sure that I will be having them send some things home for me.

Old 12/22/2012, 07:22 PM   #1160
danfeig
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by vmjtc3 View Post
Amazing build thread, Got a lot of good ideals for my upcoming in wall build!
I am happy to be of service! I appreciate the compliments and am glad that you are following along. I still have lots of changes in store and will be setting up my new refugium and sea horse tank after the break!

Old 12/22/2012, 07:24 PM   #1161
danfeig
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRJ View Post
Good to know they have such features. I bought mine used, was still able to setup warranty on it. Looking at a second one but one a small budget im going to light my new 60 gallon with one and keep softies and lps till i save for #2.

Any new pics? I spend hours scrolling threads for sweet pictures when i have some free time at work.
Pics are coming... A friend came by with his camera this afternoon. Just waiting for them to be uploaded to my photo bucket account.

Old 12/22/2012, 07:32 PM   #1162
danfeig
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPotter View Post
Hey Dan, happy holidays to you and your family!!! I was wondering what you used to bond the rocks together when you built your pillars? I am making some changes inside my dt and I am going to be doing my aquascape over again. Also, now that your tank has been up for a while, is there anything you dont like or would have done differently with the rock structures?
Steve my friend... Happy Holiday to you and your family as well.

For the pillars, I used Emaco S88-CI (marine cement). On some of the small pieces, I used a lot of holdfast and superglue gel. Tons of superglue!

There are a lot of things I would have done differently with the pillars or would choose to do differently if I had the opportunity. I would have drilled holes to allow for a few rods in between the rocks. The cement is good, but the rods would add extra stability. If I had the opportunity, I would have chiseled out or added more "shelves" for coral placement, especially in the lower half of the towers. I may have made one of the towers a little wider on the bottom. The corals on top will someday shade the middle and bottom sections. I would have also drilled more holes to allow for the insertion of the ceramic coral frag plugs throughout the towers.

Hope this helps!

Old 12/22/2012, 07:55 PM   #1163
Newbie Aquarist
Reefing is my middle name

Your aquascape is still amazing Dan.

Newbie Aquarist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/22/2012, 10:24 PM   #1164
danfeig
RC Sponsor

Feeding Nori...

I have been looking for some more simplistic ways at feeding all of my tangs Nori each day.

For the past several months, I have been dropping a rock with Nori strapped to it by several rubberbands into my tank with my 48" pikstik. I can't tell you how many times that I have dropped the rock onto one of my corals or banged the tongs into something.

[IMG][/IMG]

Now that my tank is getting more crowded, I have been searching for away to clip the Nori onto something without having to drop anything onto the sand. I looked at the magnetic seaweed clips and tried it magnetized to one of my tank magnets. One problem though. The tangs are so fierce when they eat that they pull the seaweed and/or the clip off of the magnet.

Today I came up with a solution. I fabricated a simple "U" shape with some pvc and hang it over the sides or back of my tank. It was really simple.

[IMG][/IMG]

The tangs absolutely went nuts and they have an easier time eating the Nori from three or so sides. I just rolled up four sheets of Nori and secured it to the pvc with two rubber bands.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

With leaving town tomorrow, it was an easy thing to show the house sitter how to do.

Old 12/23/2012, 12:13 AM   #1165
Newbie Aquarist

You and dca are the most creative and inventive reefers out there. Your two's ideas are going to get marketed soon.

Old 12/23/2012, 12:22 AM   #1166
jt48
Registered Member

Great idea with the pvc pipe feeding station. Even though i dont have a deep tank i may still incorporate ur design. Tank looks great.

Filtration includes passive filtration pads, skimmer, ca
jt48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/23/2012, 12:23 AM   #1167
Newbie Aquarist

Quote:
Originally Posted by jt48 View Post
Great idea with the pvc pipe feeding station. Even though i dont have a deep tank i may still incorporate ur design. Tank looks great.
Told you Dan.

Old 12/23/2012, 03:08 AM   #1168
dotcommer
Registered Member

Great idea on the nori feeder. Much simpler than attaching to a rock or always having to stick you hand in the tank to grab the clip.

dotcommer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/23/2012, 05:50 AM   #1169
SPotter
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by danfeig View Post
Steve my friend... Happy Holiday to you and your family as well.

For the pillars, I used Emaco S88-CI (marine cement). On some of the small pieces, I used a lot of holdfast and superglue gel. Tons of superglue!

There are a lot of things I would have done differently with the pillars or would choose to do differently if I had the opportunity. I would have drilled holes to allow for a few rods in between the rocks. The cement is good, but the rods would add extra stability. If I had the opportunity, I would have chiseled out or added more "shelves" for coral placement, especially in the lower half of the towers. I may have made one of the towers a little wider on the bottom. The corals on top will someday shade the middle and bottom sections. I would have also drilled more holes to allow for the insertion of the ceramic coral frag plugs throughout the towers.

Hope this helps!
Dan this definitely helps and I will echo what Wayne said....your rocks still rock man! Thank you for sharing your thoughts and ideas!

Am I really doing all of this for a fish tank??????

Current Tank Info: 360g Envision Acrylic Tank, Closed Loops, Vectra L1's, MP40QD's, 400w Radiums, Regal 300ext, Dastaco Ext3 CaRx, Controlled by GHL Profilux
SPotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/23/2012, 10:19 AM   #1170
ipaul
Registered Member

wow, incredible

ipaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/23/2012, 12:20 PM   #1171
Sps Dream
Registered Member

Good technique

Old 12/23/2012, 04:05 PM   #1172
lanshark
It's Landshark, aka SNL

Great idea. Be sure and avoid any siphon potential. Are ends plugged?

Cheers!

Current Tank Info: Mixed Reef 66"x24"x22", 20g Sump/refugium 20g In-line Grow Out tank
lanshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/23/2012, 07:30 PM   #1173
Made2Rock
Registered Member

Scaffolding, long tongs U tube for Nori. I'm still taking notes.

Thanks for sharing your tank and experience

Joe

Made2Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/23/2012, 07:57 PM   #1174
kegogut
Registered Member

Dan, one thing to do when you feed nori is to cut it into slices after you put it on the clip. That way when the tangs do grab it it will come off in pieces they can munch on instead of the whole sheet of nori getting snatched off and floating around.

"I have learned all kinds of things from my many mistakes. The one thing I never learn is to stop making them." --Nicomo Cosca.

Current Tank Info: 225 mixed w/ 225 sump 550 lbs live rock,3x MarinePure ceramic blocks,Skimz SM201,Geo 618 CR,Vectra L1,DOS automatic water changes,3x 250w MH w/ 4x actinic T5,All ran by Apex thru Fusion.--57 community tank w/ OR T-247,120 nem tank.
kegogut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/23/2012, 08:11 PM   #1175
kegogut
Registered Member

"I have learned all kinds of things from my many mistakes. The one thing I never learn is to stop making them." --Nicomo Cosca.

Current Tank Info: 225 mixed w/ 225 sump 550 lbs live rock,3x MarinePure ceramic blocks,Skimz SM201,Geo 618 CR,Vectra L1,DOS automatic water changes,3x 250w MH w/ 4x actinic T5,All ran by Apex thru Fusion.--57 community tank w/ OR T-247,120 nem tank.
kegogut is offline   Reply With Quote