Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Large Reef Tanks
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Old 01/20/2013, 06:58 PM   #1326
Made2Rock
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by danfeig View Post
Joe, they are my favorite fish!

The two I have now are getting along great! I have two Achillies Tangs in one of my QT's that I hope to be introducing shortly to the main display. They will be giving the Powder Blues a run for the money!
I'm surprised to hear you have two of them getting along with each other. I will be interested to see how they get along.

Good Luck

Joe

Made2Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/21/2013, 11:41 AM   #1327
danfeig
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPotter View Post
As always Dan....truly amazing!!!!! How much would you charge to fly to NJ and help me with my system????
Steve, you are too kind!

I am actually going to be back East this summer with the family, doing the DC and NYC thing for a couple of weeks.

I am hoping that the cleaning/soaking of your rocks in muriatic acid solves your phosphate issues. I know its been a long haul for you and I have my fingers crossed!

Old 01/21/2013, 07:50 PM   #1328
Eville
Registered Member

Danfeig,

Your aquarium is truly stunning and I applaud you for your current success of mixing multiple larger fish (tangs etc). I also noticed your unbelievably large chunks of corals that seem to be thriving. I recently switched from an all soft coral reef aquarium to a mixed reef with a few LPS and SPS pieces. What do you keep your Alkalinity, Mg, and Calcium at to receive such success? Mine are not opening nearly as much as they were in the store. I know my alk, mg, and calc are low, so what should you suggest to keep them at, and what to use to build them up? I appreciate such documentation throughout your whole thread and if this information is already listed here, please redirect me. I will gladly tag along to enjoy your continued success as it progresses.

-Jacob

Eville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/22/2013, 12:08 AM   #1329
danfeig
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eville View Post
Danfeig,

Your aquarium is truly stunning and I applaud you for your current success of mixing multiple larger fish (tangs etc). I also noticed your unbelievably large chunks of corals that seem to be thriving. I recently switched from an all soft coral reef aquarium to a mixed reef with a few LPS and SPS pieces. What do you keep your Alkalinity, Mg, and Calcium at to receive such success? Mine are not opening nearly as much as they were in the store. I know my alk, mg, and calc are low, so what should you suggest to keep them at, and what to use to build them up? I appreciate such documentation throughout your whole thread and if this information is already listed here, please redirect me. I will gladly tag along to enjoy your continued success as it progresses.

-Jacob
Thank you Jacob!

I appreciate your comments and you following along my build. It's nice to have you here!

There are so many components to keeping your corals thriving. Yes, Calcium, Alkalinity and Magnesium are important - but so is good lighting, protein skimming, water movement and tank husbandry. I think it is a combination of all factors!

I tested everything tonite: Calcium-440mg, Alk-9dkh (I like 10-11), Mag-1,240, Nitrates, Nitrites and Phosphates were 0 or very close to it. If your numbers are low, I would do water changes and increasing your dosing.

I dose hourly using BRS formulas. Pretty soon I will have to consider a calcium reactor, but, i've been making more concentrated formulas when I am dosing Calcium or Alk for more than 20 minutes each hour.

I also do weekly water changes of 100+ gallons and have excellent water movement.

Feel free to ask questions anytime. If I can't answer your questions, there are plenty of others following along that can!

Old 01/22/2013, 02:22 PM   #1330
Eville
Registered Member

Quote:
Thank you Jacob!

I appreciate your comments and you following along my build. It's nice to have you here!

There are so many components to keeping your corals thriving. Yes, Calcium, Alkalinity and Magnesium are important - but so is good lighting, protein skimming, water movement and tank husbandry. I think it is a combination of all factors!

I tested everything tonite: Calcium-440mg, Alk-9dkh (I like 10-11), Mag-1,240, Nitrates, Nitrites and Phosphates were 0 or very close to it. If your numbers are low, I would do water changes and increasing your dosing.

I dose hourly using BRS formulas. Pretty soon I will have to consider a calcium reactor, but, i've been making more concentrated formulas when I am dosing Calcium or Alk for more than 20 minutes each hour.

I also do weekly water changes of 100+ gallons and have excellent water movement.

Feel free to ask questions anytime. If I can't answer your questions, there are plenty of others following along that can!
Awesome! and yes, I will definitely note those down and work on dosing more to raise my alk because my calcium is way too high. I've done everything to repositioning for more lighting/less lighting to more flow/less flow depending on my corals, so Alk, Mg, and calcium are the last three things I could determine to be the issue. Phosphate, nitrate and nitrite are all 0, and I am running DIY LED lighting. I also do a regular 5-10 gallon water change on my aquarium each week (100 gallon system). I'm also running a reef octopus skimmer.

Eville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/23/2013, 01:23 AM   #1331
syilk1
Registered Member

Hey buddy are you still using prodibio products??
Thanks, Scott

syilk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/23/2013, 10:52 PM   #1332
danfeig
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eville View Post
Awesome! and yes, I will definitely note those down and work on dosing more to raise my alk because my calcium is way too high. I've done everything to repositioning for more lighting/less lighting to more flow/less flow depending on my corals, so Alk, Mg, and calcium are the last three things I could determine to be the issue. Phosphate, nitrate and nitrite are all 0, and I am running DIY LED lighting. I also do a regular 5-10 gallon water change on my aquarium each week (100 gallon system). I'm also running a reef octopus skimmer.
Jacob,

It sounds like you are on the right track. What are your calcium and alkalinity levels and what/how are you dosing?

Old 01/23/2013, 11:33 PM   #1333
danfeig
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by syilk1 View Post
Hey buddy are you still using prodibio products??
Thanks, Scott
Hi Scott. I have only used them a few times. It's funny that you bring it up. This past weekend I thought about shutting off my skimmer and dosing a little.

Old 01/25/2013, 12:42 AM   #1334
danfeig
RC Sponsor

Quick Update

I real glad to see that we have our speed back on Reef Central.

Tomorrow is a big day, another FedEx Friday Deluxe! I have deliveries coming in from Seahorse Source, Live Aquaria, Avast Marine and Unique Corals!

I hooked up my old chiller to my 45 gallon bow-front and am in the process of lowering the temperature in the tank to 73 degrees. I still have the tank turning over at a decent clip to my main display and will adjust the flow to be able to manage the temperature of the 45 and not cool my entire system. I think I am going to purchase one of those small, Coralife UV Sterilizers and connect it to the feed line from my sump into the seahorse/fuge. Knowing how prone seahorses are to infections, I would like to kill any pathogens before they get into the seahorse tank. I am not concerned about the flow from the 45 gallon (which has a ton of pods) back into the sump.

I have ordered two pairs of Hippocampus kuda seahorses.

I also ordered a few different fish from Live Aquaria, another Clown Tang, Atlantic Blues and 5 Blue Reef Chromis.

Scott from Unique sent me some cool pics of a few coral colonies that I just couldn't say "No" to. He had a real nice Acropora subglabra, another blue Acro colony and a huge Green tabling Acro. In anticipation, I stopped off at the dollar store and picked up 20 packages of SuperGlue Gel.

From Avast, I mostly ordered Carbon and GFO as it's time to change out all of my media.

I will busy doing my normal Friday maintenance, along with changing out my media reactors and the canister filters on my QT's. I will also do a 100 gallon water change while I am at it.

I will try to post pictures later in the day.

Old 01/25/2013, 01:12 AM   #1335
ERivera65
Registered Member

Your friday orders sound great! i can't wait to see the new additions and the sea horses. Your tank is amazing, I like what you've done and I really enjoy seeing the progress of your tank and systems. Thanks for sharing

ERivera65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/25/2013, 02:58 AM   #1336
edman79
Registered Member

Very nice system. I like all the different tanks for different purposes that you have and how you can shut off flow to one or two of them to turn them into a qt. The only thing I would do differently is more variety of fish. I love tangs as well, but as they say, too much of a good thing... Eddie Ed

edman79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/25/2013, 08:23 AM   #1337
Made2Rock
Registered Member

Can't wait to see pictures of the today's adventures.

Joe

Made2Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/25/2013, 03:24 PM   #1338
vel123
Registered Member

im excited to see the sea horses.

vel123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/25/2013, 05:58 PM   #1339
Newbie Aquarist
Reefing is my middle name

Finger tapping. Finger tapping. Finger tapping.

Sent from my iPhone using Siri and Tapatalk.

Newbie Aquarist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/25/2013, 08:37 PM   #1340
bullitr
broke but happy

Very cool Scott have a lot of cool stuff everytime is see him .
Can't wait for the picture

no more hyposalinity...

Current Tank Info: 96x36x29 inwall
bullitr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/26/2013, 12:09 AM   #1341
danfeig
RC Sponsor

FedEx Friday - and then some...

[IMG][/IMG]

So it's been a long day. I tried to get all of my maintenance work done on the tanks before the deliveries arrived, but there was just not enough time. I think I spent most of the morning adjusting the chiller and flow to my new refugium/seahorse tank. I have the temperature set to 73 degrees and I believe it is turning over approximately once every four hours or so.

The seahorses were the first package that I opened up and acclimated. I ordered four Hippocampus Kuda, two males and two females from Seahorse Source. They recommended a different acclimation process. Essentially it was - float the bag to set the temperature and then scoop out the seahorses with your hand and place in your tank. I turned on the lights tonight to take a few pictures. Three of the seahorses appear to be doing well and one is a little iffy. Three ate frozen mysis, the fourth just kinda hung out. Hopefully he/she will be okay. They are still being timid, so the pictures were a little tough.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

My next shipment was from Live Aquaria. I received another Clown Tang, two small Atlantic Blues and five Blue Reef Chromis. The Blue Reef Chromis are really cool and the Clown Tang is big and very colorful. I have to call Live Aquaria. The Atlantic Blues were supposed to be 2"-2 1/2". If I am lucky, these are 1 1/4". I will try to get some pics taken of these tomorrow. I left the lights off in the QT for 24 hours while they are acclimating.

Scott Fellman at Unique Corals is the Bomb! I can always expect a call or email from him when he gets some nice specimens in. He is good friends with Dave, O2manyfish, who usually gives me a warning that Scott will be contacting me. Well my deliveries from Unique were outstanding! I could not get a decent picture of the corals in my frag tank because my blue lights were already on. So I am posting pics of the ones Scott took for me. The pictures don't even give the corals justice. The first he sent me is a 6" tabling acro, real thick, with greenish (some a lil yellow) branches and blueish tips. The second was a 6" Acropora subglabra which I can place down low as it is deeper species coral. The third, a real nice Blueish Acropora tenuis colony, around 7".

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

I have not gotten around to opening the box I received from Avast Marine. I know its filled with Carbon, GFO and some Kalk. I will have to open it tomorrow as its time to change out my media.

Enjoy! I am going to sleep!

Old 01/26/2013, 10:31 AM   #1342
vel123
Registered Member

the corals are awesome. loving the sea horses.

vel123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/26/2013, 11:04 AM   #1343
Spectre2006
Reef Addict

Awesome effort and setup. Tank will only get better with time. Have you passed the $100K milestone for your build?

Spectre2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/26/2013, 03:25 PM   #1344
danfeig
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERivera65 View Post
Your friday orders sound great! i can't wait to see the new additions and the sea horses. Your tank is amazing, I like what you've done and I really enjoy seeing the progress of your tank and systems. Thanks for sharing
Thanks ERivera65!

I am real happy with the new additions. Everything seems to be acclimating well. I have a lot of new photos and a few videos to upload. I will try to do soon!

Old 01/26/2013, 03:31 PM   #1345
danfeig
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by edman79 View Post
Very nice system. I like all the different tanks for different purposes that you have and how you can shut off flow to one or two of them to turn them into a qt. The only thing I would do differently is more variety of fish. I love tangs as well, but as they say, too much of a good thing... Eddie Ed
Thank you Ed!

I actually do have a lot of other fish besides the Tangs. I have a lot of varieties of Anthias, Wrasses, Gobies, Chromis, Blennies, Foxfaces, Cardinals... They just aren't as big or prevalent as my Tangs. But yes, Tangs are my favorite!!!

Old 01/26/2013, 03:39 PM   #1346
danfeig
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Made2Rock View Post
Can't wait to see pictures of the today's adventures.

Joe
You and Wayne, waiting and finger tapping...

Old 01/26/2013, 03:41 PM   #1347
danfeig
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newbie Aquarist View Post
Finger tapping. Finger tapping. Finger tapping.

Sent from my iPhone using Siri and Tapatalk.
Leroy,

You crack me up!

Old 01/26/2013, 10:16 PM   #1348
ERivera65
Registered Member

Quote:
Thanks ERivera65!

I am real happy with the new additions. Everything seems to be acclimating well. I have a lot of new photos and a few videos to upload. I will try to do soon!
My name is Erwin and it's been a pleasure to have seen and been included in your thread. How are the fish you ordered? Have they acclimated ok as well?

ERivera65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/27/2013, 06:52 AM   #1349
Newbie Aquarist
Reefing is my middle name

Quote:
Leroy,

You crack me up!
That's because I have nothing but mad love for you and how you do things BIG.

Newbie Aquarist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/27/2013, 05:10 PM   #1350
dca22anderson
Registered Member

I love FedEx Fridays! Great SPS additions!

dca22anderson is offline   Reply With Quote