Reef Central Online Community
Marine Depot

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Large Reef Tanks
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Old 02/14/2013, 11:20 PM   #1451
danfeig
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by flakey View Post
I haven't been folowing for a while and have just seen the videos. wow, it's turned out very well, it's amazing. it's only when you look at the size of the fish when you realize how big this tank is. Only wish i had the space to do this.
Can i ask what sand you are using? Do you have problems feeding the sun coral at all? I've had some in the past but always had trouble feeding them as everything else would take the food from it.
Thank you flakey! I am real happy with everything! For the sand, I used 10 cases of Carib-Sea Live Aragonite Reef Sand. Approximately 400lbs. of sand.

I have not had any issues feeding any of my corals. Most of my corals just eat a lot of the mysis that I am feeding my fish, however, I am been feeding a lot of brine shrimp and a ton of phyto lately. A local reefer has been making and selling phyto that I have been using. The corals have all been opening up nicely when it is poured into my tank. I will usually feed my fish shortly thereafter and the corals are able to capture a lot of the food.

Old 02/15/2013, 11:09 PM   #1452
danfeig
RC Sponsor

FedEx Friday

So no livestock today, but I did get a few packages delivered.

[IMG][/IMG]

The first was my new Ozone Generator made by Del. Although made for small pools and spas, it came highly recommended by o2manyfish. I found the best price for the unit on Amazon

[IMG][/IMG]

I have ordered a new Ozone Reactor from Avast Marine which I hope will be coming in this weekend.

My second package came from Marine Depot.

I ordered a new Luft Air pump for my new reactor.

[IMG][/IMG]

Finally, the new Leak Detection Module and probes are out from Neptune Systems for their Apex Unit. I ordered three new Leak Detection Probes to place under my tanks.

I also ordered another Energy Bar (EB8) for around my refugium.

[IMG][/IMG]

Old 02/15/2013, 11:20 PM   #1453
rpjaws74
Registered Member

awesome video n tank

Current Tank Info: 500 glln system/ Reef
rpjaws74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/16/2013, 12:05 AM   #1454
danfeig
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by david00061 View Post
nice video
Thanks David!

I'd love to see an update on your bad boy! I spoke with EcoTech earlier today. I am hoping to receive 14 of their upgrades (the Pro model) shortly!

Old 02/16/2013, 01:58 AM   #1455
Newbie Aquarist
Reefing is my middle name

Nice pickup on the Ozone. So you are getting new fixtures from EcoTech?

Newbie Aquarist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/16/2013, 07:45 AM   #1456
jt48
Registered Member

great video, cant wait till I get a real camera

Filtration includes passive filtration pads, skimmer, ca
jt48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/16/2013, 03:57 PM   #1457
danfeig
RC Sponsor

Today's Shipment

Well, tomorrow will be another busy day!

My shipment from Avast Marine arrived a couple hours ago.

[IMG][/IMG]

Attached are pictures of my new Ozone Reactor, together with a new Media (carbon) Reactor to dump into before heading to my sump.

[IMG][/IMG]

The reactors are both Beasts! As my son would say. I can't say enough about the quality of Justin and Avast Marines workmanship! Easy to read instructions as well as all the necessary parts to connect to my Ozone Generator and Luft Pump.

Old 02/16/2013, 10:42 PM   #1458
jjk_reef00
Registered Member

Wow those look amazing! I can't wait to hear what you have to say once they are up and running! Since you have so many different types of filtration, I'm curious, have you ever considered biopellets?

Current Tank Info: 375 FOWLR
jjk_reef00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/17/2013, 01:16 AM   #1459
danfeig
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy_Beaver View Post
Another great video Dan!!!!
Thanks Loukas! Sam does a great job!

I am anxious to see your tank get up and running. Your wood work looked great. Now lets get some tanks filled with water!

Old 02/17/2013, 01:19 AM   #1460
danfeig
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Made2Rock View Post
Nice video!!!!!!

Joe
Thanks Joe. Sam has fun with them. I did stick my GoPro into the water and shot a few minutes of underwater film. I am going to shoot the inside of the tank a few more days and upload the film to Sam. We'll see what he can create!

Old 02/17/2013, 01:21 AM   #1461
danfeig
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pushwood View Post
Everything is looking stunning as always Dan.
Thanks Pushwood. It's good to hear from you! I don't think I have heard from you since before the holidays. I hope that everything is going great for you!

Old 02/17/2013, 01:45 AM   #1462
dotcommer
Registered Member

Nice pieces. Looking forward to hearing how you like them.

Current Tank Info: Redsea Max 250 Mixed Reef, 125 Gal FOWLR, 90 Gal Mixed Reef, 30 Gal Fresh Water
dotcommer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/17/2013, 07:29 AM   #1463
Crazy_Beaver
Registered Member

Great equipment Dan!

Current Tank: Beaver's Crazy Reef (51X39X25, powered by ATB , Hyperion R2, Tunze )
Crazy_Beaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/17/2013, 10:18 PM   #1464
danfeig
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by garrettm View Post
What an awesome tank and thread! Love how you have captured every step of the build, it has helped me with some ideas for my next 150 in wall build i am currently planning. I think my favorite part was seeing the shipments arrive,can't wait to see boxes like that (obviously not in that qty) at my doorstep. Everything looks absolutely great!
Garrettm,

Thank you for the very kind words! I am glad that my thread has given you ideas for your build. You will definitely have to create a thread of your own.

FedEx Fridays are one of my favorite days. Just about every night I come online to update things, review other builds and to check out the websites for various livestock and equipment suppliers. I try to get everything delivered on Friday so that I am home when everything arrives.

Don't be a stranger if you have any questions pertaining to your build.

Old 02/17/2013, 10:19 PM   #1465
danfeig
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cocobid View Post
Nice video
Thanks Cocobid!

Old 02/18/2013, 11:19 AM   #1466
danfeig
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericta000 View Post
so how i always end up to this thread. very nice video btw
Thank you ericta000!

I am glad that you like the build and videos. They are fun! I have a bunch of them on YouTube now under the name Danfeig.

Old 02/18/2013, 11:19 AM   #1467
danfeig
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpjaws74 View Post
awesome video n tank
Thanks rpjaws74!

Old 02/18/2013, 07:02 PM   #1468
danfeig
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newbie Aquarist View Post
Nice pickup on the Ozone. So you are getting new fixtures from EcoTech?
Yes, I am waiting for them to have 14 in stock that we can swap out with my current Radions. They have a huge demand for new orders both here and abroad that they are trying to fill. As of today they had six that they could send me. I want to do all of them at the same time so that I can sync the lights together and go through the same 30-45 day acclimation period. They have a program where they will send me the new ones with a return label to send back my old - together with funds of course.

EcoTech Marines facebook page has my lightning storm on it. It's had a ton of hits on my YouTube Page.

Old 02/18/2013, 07:48 PM   #1469
Newbie Aquarist
Reefing is my middle name

Quote:
Originally Posted by danfeig View Post
Yes, I am waiting for them to have 14 in stock that we can swap out with my current Radions. They have a huge demand for new orders both here and abroad that they are trying to fill. As of today they had six that they could send me. I want to do all of them at the same time so that I can sync the lights together and go through the same 30-45 day acclimation period. They have a program where they will send me the new ones with a return label to send back my old - together with funds of course.

EcoTech Marines facebook page has my lightning storm on it. It's had a ton of hits on my YouTube Page.
I saw that. Congrats on the Facebook love.

Newbie Aquarist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/18/2013, 08:40 PM   #1470
Osteoclast
Registered Member

Dan,
Why the new reactors if you do not mind. Are you getting spikes in nitrates or phosphates? I thought with your husbandry and current equipment you were doing well. I run less equipment on my system but have a smaller bio load. Nevertheless, detritus removal via gravel vacuuming is much cheaper and efficient in my view. However, I love your tank. Thanks for presenting it to this venue.

Current Tank Info: 525 Mixed Reef SPS dominate
Osteoclast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/18/2013, 10:51 PM   #1471
jjk_reef00
Registered Member

New lights, exciting! Do you have a link to the t-storm?

Current Tank Info: 375 FOWLR
jjk_reef00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/19/2013, 10:22 AM   #1472
danfeig
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jt48 View Post
great video, cant wait till I get a real camera

Me either!!! All my pics lately have been with my iPhone. I need to have Griffin come over in at the end of the month to take some before/after pictures.

Fortunately, I have some nice friends with great camera skills!

Old 02/19/2013, 10:36 AM   #1473
danfeig
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjk_reef00 View Post
Wow those look amazing! I can't wait to hear what you have to say once they are up and running! Since you have so many different types of filtration, I'm curious, have you ever considered biopellets?
Thanks! I was hoping to have time last weekend to get them installed, unfortunately, I didn't have the time.

I haven't considered biopellets simply because I have the Fluidized Sand Reactor. I believe the premise of the Sand Reactor is similar to that of a biopellet reactor. The bacteria is living in the sand and is constantly churning! I have noticed with my reactor that since I have been running it (well, after a month or so of running it) I have had to clean my glass on lot less too!

Old 02/19/2013, 10:13 PM   #1474
danfeig
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by dotcommer View Post
Nice pieces. Looking forward to hearing how you like them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy_Beaver View Post
Great equipment Dan!

Thanks guys!

I am anxious to get them set up!

Old 02/19/2013, 11:17 PM   #1475
danfeig
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osteoclast View Post
Dan,
Why the new reactors if you do not mind. Are you getting spikes in nitrates or phosphates? I thought with your husbandry and current equipment you were doing well. I run less equipment on my system but have a smaller bio load. Nevertheless, detritus removal via gravel vacuuming is much cheaper and efficient in my view. However, I love your tank. Thanks for presenting it to this venue.
Osteoclast,

Thanks for the question and for the compliments!

Let's see... I have always had Nitrates. Not a dangerous level necessarily, but I work hard to keep them low. You have to keep in mind that I feed my fish a lot! In any given day, my fish go through 4-6 sheets of Nori, some pellets from my auto feeder and 20-25 cubes of frozen food. I know... a lot! I have never had a Phosphate issue.

I was running ozone early on with great success. I was running it through my skimmer and unfortunately, when my skimmer shut off one day, water backed up through my ozone generator. I noticed a difference in the clarity of the water and with the efficiency of my skimmer when I stopped running ozone. So, I started researching ozone generators and reactors and settled on the ones I purchased.

The additional equipment does not stop me from maintaining good husbandry. I still change my filter socks 2-3 times each week, perform weekly 100 gallon water changes, gravel vac weekly, clean my skimmer weekly, clean my glass two times each week, check my parameters 3 times each week, etc.

I will not be running the ozone at very high levels and will be keeping a close eye on my orp. I will report back how it goes.