Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Large Reef Tanks
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Old 02/24/2013, 01:33 PM   #1501
Made2Rock
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by danfeig View Post
Joe, you are a close 2nd to being as funny as Wayne.

Having a tank like that would be awesome though, wouldn't it?
That pic came from the tropical driver area in the Georgia Aquarium in Atlanta. The tank actually goes from floor to up and over your head and is about 30' wide. It is amazing to just sit there and watch it and all the schools of fish swim by. I would highly recommend a stop if your in the area.

Joe

Made2Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/24/2013, 11:15 PM   #1502
danfeig
RC Sponsor

Ozone Reactor

So I finally got my Ozone Generator, Ozone Reactor, new Carbon Reactor, Luft Pump, all set up and installed.

I can't thank Justin at Avast Marine Works enough! He made things incredibly easy!

The Ozone Generator is made by Del Ozone, actually for above ground pools. The Ozone Reactor and Carbon Reactors are both made by Avast. Justin made things real easy sending cut to order silicone tubings and connectors, along with easy to follow instructions. Essentially, it was "plug & play!"

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Old 02/25/2013, 12:20 AM   #1503
dotcommer
Registered Member

Looks great. I am glad to hear all the good comments about the different companies you have worked with. I will be purchasing some of the same items for my build.

Current Tank Info: Redsea Max 250 Mixed Reef, 125 Gal FOWLR, 90 Gal Mixed Reef, 30 Gal Fresh Water
dotcommer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/25/2013, 01:58 AM   #1504
Newbie Aquarist
Reefing is my middle name

So what are you running your ORP at with the ozone reactor? Do you have a recommended reading and if so is this from past experience?

Newbie Aquarist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/25/2013, 04:36 PM   #1505
cleanmyaquarium
Registered Member

Dan, awesome build and what a great looking reef! How much is the electric bill each month?

cleanmyaquarium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/25/2013, 11:48 PM   #1506
danfeig
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by icedizzle View Post
Impressive build Dan. I just finished reading through the entire thread, a ton of great info in here. Keep it up!
icedizzle,

I am honored to have your first post on Reef Central after being a member for so long.

Thank you for the nice compliments!

Don't be a stranger around here.

Old 02/25/2013, 11:49 PM   #1507
danfeig
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newbie Aquarist View Post
Now who can turn down a deal like that.
I think in college we called the parties "Bong-a-thons!"

Old 02/25/2013, 11:50 PM   #1508
danfeig
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by naldopr View Post
impressive build! I can't imagine how your tank looks in person!!
Thank you naldopr!

You just need to come visit Tucson so you can see my tank in person!

Old 02/26/2013, 12:04 AM   #1509
danfeig
RC Sponsor

Lil Ozone Issue...

So I came home tonight and my fish room had a rather strong Ozone smell.

I cranked open the window further and studied everything closely. I decided to reinforce my tube fittings by putting clamps around all of the connectors. Ozone was definitely leaking out some of the hoses.

I noticed that when I was finished, the Dwyer Air Flow meter dropped from 2 scfh of air flow to zero when I turned my reactor pump (a Mag 9.5) back on. I have good flow coming out of my carbon reactor and the media is new. I am using a Luft Air Pump which is supposed to have a 4+ psi. I suppose the air pump can be faulty, but, it is also brand new. In any event, it's not pushing the Ozonated air into the reactor!

I have an email into Justin at Avast Marine and sent him the shots of my set up that I posted yesterday.

Hopefully we will get this straightened out tomorrow.

Any ideas or suggestions are certainly welcomed!

Old 02/26/2013, 12:46 AM   #1510
Newbie Aquarist

Glad you caught that when you did. That would've not turned out good for you or your family.

Old 02/26/2013, 02:34 AM   #1511
Crazy_Beaver
Registered Member

Be careful with the ozone Dan!Unfortunately I cant help!

Current Tank: Beaver's Crazy Reef (51X39X25, powered by ATB , Hyperion R2, Tunze )
Crazy_Beaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/26/2013, 03:04 AM   #1512
icedizzle
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by danfeig View Post
icedizzle,

I am honored to have your first post on Reef Central after being a member for so long.

Thank you for the nice compliments!

Don't be a stranger around here.
You're very welcome, a tank like yours deserves recognition . Also I suppose it was about time I posted something instead of just gleaning knowledge from reef central.

icedizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/26/2013, 09:40 AM   #1513
danfeig
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Made2Rock View Post
That pic came from the tropical driver area in the Georgia Aquarium in Atlanta. The tank actually goes from floor to up and over your head and is about 30' wide. It is amazing to just sit there and watch it and all the schools of fish swim by. I would highly recommend a stop if your in the area.

Joe
It's beautiful! I am sure that I could sit in front of it for hours!

Thank you for sharing the pic with me!

Old 02/26/2013, 09:44 AM   #1514
danfeig
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by dotcommer View Post
Looks great. I am glad to hear all the good comments about the different companies you have worked with. I will be purchasing some of the same items for my build.
Thanks dotcommer!

That's the purpose of these forums. To share with each other what is working and what isn't. To share with everyone the companies that provide great products and customer service as well as those that don't!

I highly recommend Avast. As a matter of fact, when you get ready to order from them, call Justin first and let him know that you are a friend of mine. I am sure that he will take good care of you!

Old 02/26/2013, 09:46 AM   #1515
danfeig
RC Sponsor

Quote:
So what are you running your ORP at with the ozone reactor? Do you have a recommended reading and if so is this from past experience?
Wayne, my high mark for my ORP is set at 450. I doubt that I will get that high with my bio load. However, at 450, my Ozone Generator will shut off.

Old 02/26/2013, 09:49 AM   #1516
danfeig
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleanmyaquarium View Post
Dan, awesome build and what a great looking reef! How much is the electric bill each month?
Thank you cleanmyaquarium!

Interesting question and it deserves an honest answer.

Unfortunately, I can't answer it! I just don't know. My electric bills vary so much. Summer time with all three Air Conditioning units cranked up, our monthly bill can exceed $1,000 per month. I think my low is somewhere around $300. I don't really pay attention to it.

Old 02/26/2013, 09:58 AM   #1517
danfeig
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Glad you caught that when you did. That would've not turned out good for you or your family.
Wayne, thank you for your concern.

My fish room is real insulated from the rest of the house. The room is also well ventilated. I have the window always open and a fan drawing out any stale air in the room.

Old 02/26/2013, 10:10 AM   #1518
danfeig
RC Sponsor

Ozone Issue Update #2

So I think I figured out the issue.

I heard from Justin at Avast Marine last night and then again this morning.

We have narrowed down the issue to two possibilities:
1) The Luft Pump may be faulty - not putting out enough psi
2) I packed the Carbon Reactor with too much carbon - most likely!

I filled the Media Reactor with approximately 2 gallons (32 cups) of carbon. The instructions called for 16 cups. It could be packed in too tightly causing some back pressure.

Tonight, I am going to take the lid off of the Carbon Reactor and place it into the sump. I would like to see how much air pressure the Luft Pump is producing without the carbon. Assuming the pressure is good, I will remove half of the carbon in the reactor and will try again.

Old 02/26/2013, 11:02 AM   #1519
Newbie Aquarist

Justin and the people at Avast Marine have very good customer service.

Old 02/26/2013, 11:09 AM   #1520
o2manyfish
Registered Member

Dan,

Be careful and don't try to blow any lines clear. Ozone on the lips and tongue burns, and it lasts awhile (days - weeks). So be very careful if you are trying to clear lines or check for back pressure.

Dave B

Current Tank Info: 560g SPS Dominant Reef / 1500g Total System
o2manyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/26/2013, 12:57 PM   #1521
ave
Registered Member

This is my favorite reef, congratulations.

ave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/26/2013, 04:08 PM   #1522
danfeig
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy_Beaver View Post
Be careful with the ozone Dan!Unfortunately I cant help!
Loukas, thank you for your concern. I am really in good shape!

Old 02/26/2013, 04:09 PM   #1523
danfeig
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by icedizzle View Post
You're very welcome, a tank like yours deserves recognition . Also I suppose it was about time I posted something instead of just gleaning knowledge from reef central.
Hey! Knowledge is everything in reef keeping. Well, you need some luck too! Don't be a stranger and if you have any questions, don't be afraid to ask!

Old 02/26/2013, 04:44 PM   #1524
danfeig
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by o2manyfish View Post
Dan,

Be careful and don't try to blow any lines clear. Ozone on the lips and tongue burns, and it lasts awhile (days - weeks). So be very careful if you are trying to clear lines or check for back pressure.

Dave B
02manywomen,

Thanks for your concern! I learned the hard way several months ago when I was adding Ozone through my skimmer. I used my teeth to pull an air hose off a venturi... I was brushing my tongue several times each day with toothpaste to get rid of the taste.

At lunch today, I stopped off at a local pet store and picked up a more powerful air pump. A Coralife Super Luft Pump. It generates air at 3.9 psi. I am going to try this pump out before I remove half of the carbon out of the reactor. I figure I can always return the pump if it doesn't outperform my existing.

[IMG][/IMG]

Old 02/26/2013, 11:24 PM   #1525
danfeig
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ave View Post
This is my favorite reef, congratulations.
Gracias ave!

Donde vives en Espana? Visitamos Espana el verano pasado. Cada tres anos visitamos. Nos encantamos tu país mucho.