Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Large Reef Tanks
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Old 05/23/2012, 11:39 PM   #151
BigOldReef
Registered Member

Dan,

If you run the waste water through the cup, there is no sludge build up. Everything is diluted into just dirty water. Of course, I evaporate a minimum of 25g a day, and with summer coming that will double, so I run a lot of water through my skimmer cup.

The Deltec heads are way overpriced for what they are. I'm guessing you'll own the Avast one by the weekend .

Depending on your source for the Deltec, I would recommend ordering a spare impeller or two to have on standby. I have gone through one in the past 7 years. And I run a 500mg Ozone through the skimmer 24/7.

But one friend with a Deltec goes through at least an impeller a year. My other friend with the Deltec has had his for 4+ years and gone through two impellers.

It's not that's its a weak link, but getting parts from Deltec when you desperately need them can be a problem.

And since I mentioned it, I don't know if an ozonizer is on your parts list. But talk to your aquarium guy. I definitely recommend one, and a big one. You won't regret it, and its not an expensive item. If you need details or particulars don't hesitate to ask.

Dave

Current Tank Info: 400g Display Tank
BigOldReef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/24/2012, 09:07 AM   #152
danfeig
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaggy View Post
Looking really good.... good choice on that Skimmer!
Thanks Shaggy! I am excited to get it up and running!

Old 05/24/2012, 09:13 AM   #153
danfeig
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigOldReef View Post
Dan,

If you run the waste water through the cup, there is no sludge build up. Everything is diluted into just dirty water. Of course, I evaporate a minimum of 25g a day, and with summer coming that will double, so I run a lot of water through my skimmer cup.

The Deltec heads are way overpriced for what they are. I'm guessing you'll own the Avast one by the weekend .

Depending on your source for the Deltec, I would recommend ordering a spare impeller or two to have on standby. I have gone through one in the past 7 years. And I run a 500mg Ozone through the skimmer 24/7.

But one friend with a Deltec goes through at least an impeller a year. My other friend with the Deltec has had his for 4+ years and gone through two impellers.

It's not that's its a weak link, but getting parts from Deltec when you desperately need them can be a problem.

And since I mentioned it, I don't know if an ozonizer is on your parts list. But talk to your aquarium guy. I definitely recommend one, and a big one. You won't regret it, and its not an expensive item. If you need details or particulars don't hesitate to ask.

Dave
Thanks Dave! You definitely have me thinking and I stayed away thinking about new sources for a drain both both my skimmer cup and RO waste water. I may look into having them both dump into another large container and then pumped out of the house.

I have been considering an ozonizer. My first priority was buying a new UV Sterilizer that could handle my water volume.

I will make sure I have spare Deltec impeller's and will be sure to visit the Avast site today!

Dan

Old 05/24/2012, 12:23 PM   #154
BigOldReef
Registered Member

For the UV, if space is an issue, I think Aqua UV makes a 250 HQI UV Unit which is made out of 2" pipe and is only about a foot long. It's a little pricey. But to get something big enough for enough contact time with your size tank your probably looking at a 30-36" multi-tubed unit. I have one manufactured by All Seas Marine, that uses 2 30" bulbs. I have been quite happy with it and it's reasonably priced. But it's basically 2 4" pipes in a parrallel configuration. So it takes up quite a bit of real estate.

Current Tank Info: 400g Display Tank
BigOldReef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/24/2012, 05:04 PM   #155
danfeig
RC Sponsor

Dialyseas Model 1

So Michael was able to get a good deal on a Dialyseas. The prior owner primarily used it for automatic water changes but it does so much more! The unit appears to be in very good shape.

According to the companies website, these are the key benefits of the system:

1) REMOVES WASTE WHILE MINIMIZING ORIGINAL WATER AND SALT LOSS
2) DIALYSEAS MAKES AND ADDS NEW DEIONIZED WATER AUTOMATICALLY WITH "0" PHOSPHATES
3) REMOVES ALL CONTAMINANTS NOT JUST NITRATE
4) DOES NOT USE OR RELY ON ANY FORM OF BACTERIA TO BREAK DOWN WASTE
5) DOES NOT ERADICATE PLANKTON IN REEF AQUARIUMS
6) ELIMINATES EUTROPHICATION
7) ULTRA RELIABLE, ULTRA SAFE, IMMEDIATELY EFFECTIVE
8) NEVER CHANGE WATER AGAIN DIALYSEAS DOES IT AUTOMATICALLY
9) CONSISTENT HIGH AQUARIUM WATER QUALITY AND TOP OF WATER QUALITY
10) INCREASE AQUARIUM BIOLOAD UP TO FOUR TIMES
11) STABILIZES ALKALINITY THEREFORE STABILIZES PH
12) CONTINUOUS SUPPLY OF CALCIUM AND OTHER TRACE ELEMENTS
13) REDUCES AQUARIUM MAINTENANCE DRASTICALLY
14) REDUCES STRESS ON ALL LIFE FORMS EXCEPT PARASITES IT KILLS THEM
15) AUTOMATICALLY TOPS OFF AQUARIUM WITH R.O.D.I WATER AND THEN ADDS THE PROPER AMOUNT OF DISSOLVED SALT
16) LOCAL AND REMOTE MONITORING AND CONTROL OF ALL MACHINE PARAMETERS
17) EASILY MAINTAINED
18) USE ANY POWDERED SALT YOU LIKE

Has anyone used on of the Dialyseas units before? I currently have a Reefkeeper monitoring unit which I will be installing on the tank so I am certain there will be some redundancy. I figure redundancy on a tank of this size will give me more of a checks and balance system.

[IMG][/IMG]

Old 05/24/2012, 05:21 PM   #156
fazilosman
Registered Member

Holy crap man - I blinked for 3 days and your build is flying! I love your build and the aesthetics is AWESOME. I have never heard Dialyseas before but the description seems almost 2 good 2 be true. If it really does what it claims then it would be worth the investment.

There is a product review: http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2006-04/pr/index.php

fazilosman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/24/2012, 08:46 PM   #157
danfeig
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigOldReef View Post
Dan,

Dave
Guess what I ordered this afternoon?

Old 05/24/2012, 08:49 PM   #158
danfeig
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by fazilosman View Post
Holy crap man - I blinked for 3 days and your build is flying! I love your build and the aesthetics is AWESOME. I have never heard Dialyseas before but the description seems almost 2 good 2 be true. If it really does what it claims then it would be worth the investment.

There is a product review: http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2006-04/pr/index.php
Thanks fizilosman!

I found that review a few days ago. I am hoping that there are some actual Reef Central users out there! I'd like to know if there are any tricks of the trade or how to make it as "user friendly" as possible.

I placed a post in the plumbing/filtration section of the forums so we'll see if that leads anywhere.

Old 05/25/2012, 12:32 AM   #159
danfeig
RC Sponsor

Fish in a Bottle, Mermaid...

I guess it is time for the customary "Mermaid" shots before the tank is filled. We started adding the RO water tonight. I think it will take a good twelve hours to fill, however, I am sure I will sleep very restlessly concerned that the tank might overflow.

Here is a shot of my son, daughter and her girlfriend:

[IMG][/IMG]

My lovely wife, son and oldest daughter:

[IMG][/IMG]

Old 05/25/2012, 01:34 AM   #160
TheFishTeen
Registered Member.

Quote:
Originally Posted by danfeig View Post
Thanks Dave! You definitely have me thinking and I stayed away thinking about new sources for a drain both both my skimmer cup and RO waste water. I may look into having them both dump into another large container and then pumped out of the house.
Take a look at the ADC 1 Auto Drain Controller from Pacific Coast Hydroponics. Its not made specifically for aquariums but it will do exactly what you want, and automatically.

Heres the link: http://www.pchydro.com/clearance-c-1...troller-p-4611

Its a float valve controlled reservoir that will turn on a pump when the float is lifted, and its all industrial equipment.

Just a suggestion. Of course you could DIY something like this, but this is a good option.

TheFishTeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/25/2012, 07:30 AM   #161
fazilosman
Registered Member

I think your mermaids are very happy in their new home! Seems like they can have a carnival in that monster. Congrats - your tank is WONDERFUL.

fazilosman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/25/2012, 10:44 AM   #162
sh8g8delik
Registered Member

Very nice place to do a family portrait! You can also photoshop a reef into the background too or after the tank is up and running you can photoshop your family in!

sh8g8delik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/25/2012, 10:49 AM   #163
Allmost
Moved On

congrats the system looks amazing, cant wait to see it stocked

Allmost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/25/2012, 12:33 PM   #164
S14Swap240sx
Registered Member

by far one of my fav builds, i check it daily!

keep of the amazing work.

S14Swap240sx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/25/2012, 04:29 PM   #165
Rinkrat
Registered Member

Killer build hope all is going well with the constant on going process to maintain a reef aquarium!

Rinkrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/25/2012, 05:05 PM   #166
sillygoose
Registered Member

I LOVE the family photo idea!

sillygoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/25/2012, 05:19 PM   #167
thor109
Registered Member.

U know if your going to spend years looking in you should at least know what's its like to look out

Attached Images
File Type: jpg uploadfromtaptalk1337984392205.jpg (27.9 KB, 1088 views)
thor109 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/25/2012, 06:57 PM   #168
shaggy
Registered Member

True that....never had a tank large enough to get in....
Yet!

shaggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/25/2012, 10:50 PM   #169
danfeig
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by sh8g8delik View Post
Very nice place to do a family portrait! You can also photoshop a reef into the background too or after the tank is up and running you can photoshop your family in!
Thanks sh8g8delik! Perhaps once it is all done we will do a portrait in front of it.

Old 05/25/2012, 11:03 PM   #170
danfeig
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by fazilosman View Post
I think your mermaids are very happy in their new home! Seems like they can have a carnival in that monster. Congrats - your tank is WONDERFUL.
Fazilosman. Thank you for your comments. All the mermaids seem to be very happy. If I can finish adding all of the salt, perhaps I can start adding some of my rock towers this weekend!

Old 05/25/2012, 11:23 PM   #171
danfeig
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allmost View Post
congrats the system looks amazing, cant wait to see it stocked
Thank you Allmost. It is coming along a lot faster and much better than I anticipated. I am enjoying every moment, even getting this barrel of salt into into the tank!

[IMG][/IMG]

Old 05/26/2012, 10:20 AM   #172
danfeig
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by S14Swap240sx View Post
by far one of my fav builds, i check it daily!

keep of the amazing work.
Thank you S14Swap240sx!

I am glad that you are following along! Keep on checking because a lot will be happening this weekend!

Old 05/26/2012, 12:47 PM   #173
sh8g8delik
Registered Member

im on the edge of my seat clicking the refresh button!

sh8g8delik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/26/2012, 01:07 PM   #174
marc49127
Registered Member

Wow this tank is going to be awesome! I can't wait to see more pictures of it!

marc49127 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/26/2012, 08:58 PM   #175
danfeig
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by marc49127 View Post
Wow this tank is going to be awesome! I can't wait to see more pictures of it!
Thank you marc49127! I hope to be able to post more pics tomorrow.

The tank has been filled and I have spent the day working on the rock towers and on the fish room.

Glad you are following along!