Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Reply
Thread Tools
Old 01/18/2009, 11:10 AM   #176
flat broke
Registered Member
 
flat broke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Long Beach
Posts: 762
Quote:
Originally posted by dzhuo
I contacted John yesterday and he got back to me this morning. I am very impressive with how much time he spent answering my question for a single potential user. That puts me one more step toward buying either a medium or large from him.

In the mean time, can some of you guys tell me how quiet is your skimmer? Any more pictures of it operating?
I don't have either, but can point to a few general ideas and experiences. The noise issue is primarilly an issue of pump selection. Since both the Med and Large can be had with currently available pumps, check out the comments of those running the Sicce PSK 2500s and the Laguna/Askoll pumps to gain insight into potential noise qualities.

The Sicce PSK 2500 is not known as a terribly silent pump, though mine is quieter than previous Sedras. If the Sicce is connected with soft hose and issolated from the sump, it's noise reduces considerably. If the Medium is used with the Sicce, I would expect the noise to be simmilar to other Sicce equipped skimmers with similar mounting. The new Tunzes are supposed to be quiet, but only time will tell.

The Askol/Laguna pumps have a great reputation for being quiet, so there is a good chance the I-tech large would follow suit in terms of overall noise output.

I think there were some videos of the large with Askoll pump posted earlier in this thread. Other than that, you can basically wait until John has a 9420 in had to test with, and can give some indication about noise.

Chris


__________________
"We will always remember. We will always be proud. We will always be prepared, so we may always be free." - Ronald Reagan 6/6/1984 Normandy

Current Tank Info: 45 Cad Lights shallow with mixed corals. Reef Breeders LED, SCA 302, WP25, WP10, , AC jr. etc... To think that someone told me this hobby could be kept simple ;)
flat broke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/18/2009, 12:25 PM   #177
535freak
Registered Member
 
535freak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Missouri
Posts: 126
do the cones have any seems


535freak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/18/2009, 01:09 PM   #178
FoothillCorals
Premium Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Roseville, CA
Posts: 522
Quote:
Originally posted by 535freak
do the cones have any seems
I highly doubt they are seemless, that would require a very expensive mold. The goal of I-Tech from my understanding is to offer a high quality product at a reasonable price.


FoothillCorals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/18/2009, 01:13 PM   #179
tufacody
Registered Member
 
tufacody's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 1,890
I meant from a technical aspect is there any advantage?


tufacody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/18/2009, 07:05 PM   #180
mflamb
Registered Member
 
mflamb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Pasadena, Texas
Posts: 8,422
Quote:
Originally posted by dzhuo
I contacted John yesterday and he got back to me this morning. I am very impressive with how much time he spent answering my question for a single potential user. That puts me one more step toward buying either a medium or large from him.

In the mean time, can some of you guys tell me how quiet is your skimmer? Any more pictures of it operating?
I have a large, and ran it in my 300 Rubbermaid Reef until I moved it to the 300 Marineland. It is absolutely silent, no noise at all.


__________________
Click on my red house to see my 390 and 300 build thread. Those are my last 2 tanks in Tampa. Now in Pasadena waiting to buy a house to set up my next tank....anemones and clowns...probably a 3x3 150 gallon.
mflamb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/18/2009, 07:13 PM   #181
dzhuo
Registered Member
 
dzhuo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Posts: 4,338
which pump did you use?


__________________
One of the most frustrating thing about this hobby? The blind leading the blind.
dzhuo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/19/2009, 06:16 PM   #182
mflamb
Registered Member
 
mflamb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Pasadena, Texas
Posts: 8,422
Quote:
Originally posted by dzhuo
which pump did you use?
Laguna.


__________________
Click on my red house to see my 390 and 300 build thread. Those are my last 2 tanks in Tampa. Now in Pasadena waiting to buy a house to set up my next tank....anemones and clowns...probably a 3x3 150 gallon.
mflamb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/19/2009, 07:24 PM   #183
flat broke
Registered Member
 
flat broke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Long Beach
Posts: 762
So can any DAS/Aquabee pump users give some input on the silence and longevity of these pumps? I have a small/100 on order and am trying to decide if I should DIY a reduced flow Sicce from a QO2200, run a Sedra as a stop-gap until the Tunze is available, or just get the aquabee and call it done.

Chris


__________________
"We will always remember. We will always be proud. We will always be prepared, so we may always be free." - Ronald Reagan 6/6/1984 Normandy

Current Tank Info: 45 Cad Lights shallow with mixed corals. Reef Breeders LED, SCA 302, WP25, WP10, , AC jr. etc... To think that someone told me this hobby could be kept simple ;)
flat broke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/19/2009, 08:49 PM   #184
SHOmuchFUN
Registered Member
 
SHOmuchFUN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Vermont
Posts: 4,461
If Deltec uses the aquabee on their skimmers, it's a good enough reason for me to use one on my small.


__________________
Erik Engstrom
President, Vermont Marine Aquarists.

Current Tank Info: Custom 180gal, 6x80w ATI T-5s, (2) Tunze 6025, Vortec MP40w, MSX200 w/ red demon, controlled by AcJR.
SHOmuchFUN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/20/2009, 10:31 AM   #185
brucem
Registered Member
 
brucem's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: seminole florida
Posts: 673
I would just buy a aquabee and call it done. I have one on a small and it is quiet and have not had a problem at all.


brucem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/20/2009, 11:11 AM   #186
mcliffy2
Registered Member
 
mcliffy2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Downtown Chicago
Posts: 4,093
Quote:
Originally posted by W Ellis
R&D has been going on with these skimmers for the past year. Just because its a come doesnt mean its an exact replica. Changes throughout that year were made to the cones, The bubble plate, multiple pumps were tested, etc. It may be a small company in relation to the big name companies but they all started small too. I can guarantee you that they are not some fly by night company and will always stand behind their product. I would put these skimmers up against any of the big name skimmers anyday and save a fortune doing it.




Being a patent pusher are you ATB's patent pusher and got your skimmer for free? Is that why you are in such an uproar that there is another cone on the market?
I know ATB has counsel currently, but am not sure who it is. I did pay for my skimmer. I apologize if it came off as me being in an "uproar". I'm all for capitalism and copying/competition of non-patented designs...that comment was directed to all the comments about the R&D that I-tech was doing. From an intellectual standpoint I'm curious about improvements in skimmer design, and if they have made any, because copying doesn't require "R&D" (if you read my last comment, I wasn't passing judgment on copying, just saying it is what it is, and that is not R&D). Nor was I necessarily saying I-tech is a 100% copy, just wondering what their innovations were...I'm curious about the cone w/ dart needlewheel and if there is any advantage to this over a laguna.


__________________
238g 60x36x26, 100g sump/fuge, 30g frag, 23g skimmer sump, 4 Vortechs, ATB L, Sfiligoi 12x54w T5
Bulb Combo: Super actinic, 6 Blue Plus/AS 22k, Fiji Purple, 2 Aquablue special, 2 Aquascience Duo

Last edited by mcliffy2; 01/20/2009 at 11:17 AM.
mcliffy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/20/2009, 12:31 PM   #187
tufacody
Registered Member
 
tufacody's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 1,890
I'd really love to see some tangible analysis of the differences between all the available cone skimmers.

I always hear people talk about the "quality" of ATB skimmers, but have never really heard any argument as to why they skim better, nor have I heard any quality complaints about the other cone skimmers.


tufacody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/20/2009, 03:37 PM   #188
SHOmuchFUN
Registered Member
 
SHOmuchFUN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Vermont
Posts: 4,461
Do the I-techs come with a venturi? I received an aquabee pump, but there is no venturi fitting... Am I missing something?


__________________
Erik Engstrom
President, Vermont Marine Aquarists.

Current Tank Info: Custom 180gal, 6x80w ATI T-5s, (2) Tunze 6025, Vortec MP40w, MSX200 w/ red demon, controlled by AcJR.
SHOmuchFUN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/20/2009, 03:56 PM   #189
flat broke
Registered Member
 
flat broke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Long Beach
Posts: 762
There are two versions of the Aquabee pump. One with the venturi and one without. I don't know of John provides a venturi for the pump when you buy the skimmer, so I'd contact him and ask. I'm guessing you either need to order the Aquabee venturi, make one yourself, or return your pump, and order one with the venturi in place.

Chris


__________________
"We will always remember. We will always be proud. We will always be prepared, so we may always be free." - Ronald Reagan 6/6/1984 Normandy

Current Tank Info: 45 Cad Lights shallow with mixed corals. Reef Breeders LED, SCA 302, WP25, WP10, , AC jr. etc... To think that someone told me this hobby could be kept simple ;)
flat broke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/20/2009, 03:57 PM   #190
mflamb
Registered Member
 
mflamb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Pasadena, Texas
Posts: 8,422
My I-Tech large skimmer came with a pump with a venturi as part of the volute.


__________________
Click on my red house to see my 390 and 300 build thread. Those are my last 2 tanks in Tampa. Now in Pasadena waiting to buy a house to set up my next tank....anemones and clowns...probably a 3x3 150 gallon.
mflamb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/20/2009, 04:34 PM   #191
USC-fan
Premium Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 3,625
Quote:
Originally posted by flat broke
So can any DAS/Aquabee pump users give some input on the silence and longevity of these pumps? I have a small/100 on order and am trying to decide if I should DIY a reduced flow Sicce from a QO2200, run a Sedra as a stop-gap until the Tunze is available, or just get the aquabee and call it done.

Chris
I been using 2x ab2001 for about 2 years. clean them only one time and still running strong.

Great pumps for skimmers and only sound you really hear is air being sucked in.

Quote:
Originally posted by tufacody
I'd really love to see some tangible analysis of the differences between all the available cone skimmers.

I always hear people talk about the "quality" of ATB skimmers, but have never really heard any argument as to why they skim better, nor have I heard any quality complaints about the other cone skimmers.
The secret to the ATB skimmers is the magic pixie dust they use.


USC-fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/20/2009, 04:47 PM   #192
SHOmuchFUN
Registered Member
 
SHOmuchFUN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Vermont
Posts: 4,461
Quote:
Originally posted by flat broke
There are two versions of the Aquabee pump. One with the venturi and one without. I don't know of John provides a venturi for the pump when you buy the skimmer, so I'd contact him and ask. I'm guessing you either need to order the Aquabee venturi, make one yourself, or return your pump, and order one with the venturi in place.

Chris
The pump came with a needlewheel, so I assume that the pump is meant to have a venturi attached. It would be silly to have a needlewheel pump with no venturi.

This is what I received:








Last edited by SHOmuchFUN; 01/20/2009 at 05:14 PM.
SHOmuchFUN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/20/2009, 05:59 PM   #193
flat broke
Registered Member
 
flat broke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Long Beach
Posts: 762
Quote:
Originally posted by SHOmuchFUN
The pump came with a needlewheel, so I assume that the pump is meant to have a venturi attached. It would be silly to have a needlewheel pump with no venturi.

This is what I received:




There is a different PN for the unit with the venturi on a recirculating skimmer. Other than that see if John will be including one, or wait for one of the current small/100 owners to chime in.

Chris


__________________
"We will always remember. We will always be proud. We will always be prepared, so we may always be free." - Ronald Reagan 6/6/1984 Normandy

Current Tank Info: 45 Cad Lights shallow with mixed corals. Reef Breeders LED, SCA 302, WP25, WP10, , AC jr. etc... To think that someone told me this hobby could be kept simple ;)
flat broke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/20/2009, 06:13 PM   #194
lpsluver
Registered Member
 
lpsluver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: OH
Posts: 1,130
Has anyone given any further thought to using the Eheim Compact Plus pump (this) for the small? It seems to offer the opportunity to fine tune the performance by adjusting the water flow. Only drawback is it doesn't appear to come with a venturi...


__________________
- Bob

Current Tank Info: What tank?
lpsluver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/20/2009, 09:01 PM   #195
GrouperGenius
Liscensed Unit
 
GrouperGenius's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Hudson,Florida
Posts: 2,948
Quote:
Originally posted by dzhuo
I contacted John yesterday and he got back to me this morning. I am very impressive with how much time he spent answering my question for a single potential user. That puts me one more step toward buying either a medium or large from him.

In the mean time, can some of you guys tell me how quiet is your skimmer? Any more pictures of it operating?
I have the medium with a Sicce. I can't hear it over the icecap fan in my canopy.


__________________
Tankless at the moment...but still knows a thing or two.
GrouperGenius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/20/2009, 09:29 PM   #196
flat broke
Registered Member
 
flat broke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Long Beach
Posts: 762
Quote:
Originally posted by lpsluver
Has anyone given any further thought to using the Eheim Compact Plus pump (this) for the small? It seems to offer the opportunity to fine tune the performance by adjusting the water flow. Only drawback is it doesn't appear to come with a venturi...
I had thought about it, but for the amount of $$ they are fetching, I want to see some well documented airflow numbers. The impeller design is a little different, which could be great, or not so great. I like the fact that there is no forward impeller support. It looks like the front of the pump screws on from the sides which could make machining a 1-piece volute easier if more volume would help with airflow.

A curious note, Marine Depot's site listed the pump at 50hz

Chris


__________________
"We will always remember. We will always be proud. We will always be prepared, so we may always be free." - Ronald Reagan 6/6/1984 Normandy

Current Tank Info: 45 Cad Lights shallow with mixed corals. Reef Breeders LED, SCA 302, WP25, WP10, , AC jr. etc... To think that someone told me this hobby could be kept simple ;)
flat broke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/20/2009, 10:28 PM   #197
markandkristen
Moved On
 
markandkristen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Winterhaven, fl
Posts: 4,081
from what i can gather FAOIS was trying to get a good skimmer for his customers. it so happened that as we respond to how great the skimmer is people get curious.. and want great technology at a affordable price..
they are not looking to be as big as deltec or euroreef or other manufactures.
John just wanted to help his customers out with a great product. from what i gathered he had carried a different line of skimmers that raised thier price. which in turn had to be tranfered to the customer ... with the economy like it is ... that didnt look good

some of you are asking about specs and data.... which i can see why your asking...
i believe it will come with time.

whats nice about these line of skimmers is you can kinda experiment with them yourselves. with pumps

i believe this is one of the joys of this hobby .. making the product work for you...

some of you have wanted to know prices. of certain models ... i believe the price will probably increase in the future because of material prices have increased just in the last 6 months...

of course as a good product is released at a good price word gets out quick on here LOL

im excited though.. we have the TOM right near us and a skimmer that is making headway...

this is kinda exciting for me as well.. i was kinda worried about the hobby.. as you have seen many are getting out for $ reason...

its nice to know we are stilll going forward...

you guys would just have to know jon and his store.. thier is none like it that i have seen..

he truely cares for his customers and will usually ask you what type of system you have before you venture out on a certain coral or fish...


markandkristen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/21/2009, 09:48 AM   #198
reefrubble
Premium Member
 
reefrubble's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Fort Myers , Fl.
Posts: 5,718
Quote:
Originally posted by markandkristen
from what i can gather FAOIS was trying to get a good skimmer for his customers. it so happened that as we respond to how great the skimmer is people get curious.. and want great technology at a affordable price..
they are not looking to be as big as deltec or euroreef or other manufactures.
John just wanted to help his customers out with a great product. from what i gathered he had carried a different line of skimmers that raised thier price. which in turn had to be tranfered to the customer ... with the economy like it is ... that didnt look good

some of you are asking about specs and data.... which i can see why your asking...
i believe it will come with time.

whats nice about these line of skimmers is you can kinda experiment with them yourselves. with pumps

i believe this is one of the joys of this hobby .. making the product work for you...

some of you have wanted to know prices. of certain models ... i believe the price will probably increase in the future because of material prices have increased just in the last 6 months...

of course as a good product is released at a good price word gets out quick on here LOL

im excited though.. we have the TOM right near us and a skimmer that is making headway...

this is kinda exciting for me as well.. i was kinda worried about the hobby.. as you have seen many are getting out for $ reason...

its nice to know we are stilll going forward...

you guys would just have to know jon and his store.. thier is none like it that i have seen..

he truely cares for his customers and will usually ask you what type of system you have before you venture out on a certain coral or fish...
+2


__________________
Ted
Proud member of SHARK (Spring Hill Area Reef Keepers )
Proud member of TBRC (Tampa Bay Reef Club )
Save the reefs , Grow your own

Current Tank Info: Marineland 300 DD Tank Custom metal stand , and canopy DIY LED lighting I-Tech Super Beast skimmer . I do not have a tank at this time . I sold the 300 Gal. system
reefrubble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/21/2009, 01:02 PM   #199
kc350twin
Registered Member
 
kc350twin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Severn, MD
Posts: 1,579
I emailed the builder today and got a very informative answer on these skimmers in less than 10min. Thats fast. I also called and they are super nice.



Kc3


__________________
112g Cube 36x36x20= Custom 12x39wPower Module (Par Monster)= Neptune Apex=ATB 840v2=BM Doser= 2 MP-40's
kc350twin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/21/2009, 01:04 PM   #200
SHOmuchFUN
Registered Member
 
SHOmuchFUN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Vermont
Posts: 4,461
Quote:
Originally posted by flat broke
There is a different PN for the unit with the venturi on a recirculating skimmer. Other than that see if John will be including one, or wait for one of the current small/100 owners to chime in.

Chris
John said he would make me one if it were 3/4" NPT, but I contacted Eric at Finsreef and he's going to ship me the H&S venturi to see if it fits the DAS pump. Eric said since the pump is German, the sizes are in mm. and probably wouldn't work with PVC threads.

I have my fingers crossed.


SHOmuchFUN is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:51 PM.


TapaTalk Enabled

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Powered by Searchlight © 2021 Axivo Inc.
Use of this web site is subject to the terms and conditions described in the user agreement.
Reef CentralTM Reef Central, LLC. Copyright 1999-2014
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.3.0 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2021 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.