Reef Central Online Community
Marine Depot

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Reply
Thread Tools
Old 11/12/2014, 10:00 AM   #1476
bayoupr
Registered Member
 
bayoupr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Louisiana
Posts: 1,308
Quote:
Should have my iwaki 40rt(jap motor) next week. looking forward to seeing the pressure rated difference!
I don't think you are going to be happy with that pump on a 24" unless you choke the pump output back.


bayoupr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/12/2014, 10:12 AM   #1477
FranktheTankTx
Registered Member
 
FranktheTankTx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Texas
Posts: 2,306
It's going to be the same thing as a result of the most important part of the largest one. The only thing that you can get is the best pump and the rest are not an intended recipient of this application.


__________________
Frank the Tank

"What, I thought we were in the trust tree... in the nest? Are we not?"

Current Tank Info: Custom Rimless 60g (30.5"x24.5"x18.5")
FranktheTankTx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/12/2014, 10:20 AM   #1478
rEeFnWrX
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Katy, TX
Posts: 422
Quote:
Originally Posted by bayoupr View Post
I don't think you are going to be happy with that pump on a 24" unless you choke the pump output back.
Yep, I'll have a gate valve for the outlet. I'd rather get something slightly more powerful in case I upgrade to a 30" or 36". Keep in mind, I have the stock venturi.


__________________
Currently setting up new system - Custom PA 137 Gal - 60" x 24" x 22" ||| External semi Coast-2-Coast 44" overflow with BeanAnimal ||| LifeReef SVS2-24 - CLF2 Sump with 20 gal Refugium ||| ReefAngel
rEeFnWrX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/12/2014, 10:25 AM   #1479
bayoupr
Registered Member
 
bayoupr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Louisiana
Posts: 1,308
Quote:
Yep, I'll have a gate valve for the outlet. I'd rather get something slightly more powerful in case I upgrade to a 30" or 36". Keep in mind, I have the stock venturi.
If you do upgrade to a 36" that pump would work great. I am running the Panworld 100PX which equal to that pump on my 36". The only thing I have to do is throttle down the air draw. Like to know how it runs with the stock venturi.


bayoupr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/12/2014, 10:31 AM   #1480
rEeFnWrX
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Katy, TX
Posts: 422
Quote:
Originally Posted by bayoupr View Post
If you do upgrade to a 36" that pump would work great. I am running the Panworld 100PX which equal to that pump on my 36". The only thing I have to do is throttle down the air draw. Like to know how it runs with the stock venturi.
Yep. Wattage will be nice with it throttled back too

Was thinking about plumbing 1" for the inlet and reducing to 3/4" right before the pump... Any thoughts?


__________________
Currently setting up new system - Custom PA 137 Gal - 60" x 24" x 22" ||| External semi Coast-2-Coast 44" overflow with BeanAnimal ||| LifeReef SVS2-24 - CLF2 Sump with 20 gal Refugium ||| ReefAngel
rEeFnWrX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/12/2014, 10:37 AM   #1481
bayoupr
Registered Member
 
bayoupr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Louisiana
Posts: 1,308
Quote:
Was thinking about plumbing 1" for the inlet and reducing to 3/4" right before the pump... Any thoughts?
Mine is 1" plumbing to the pump which has a 1-3/4" reducer due to the pump having 3/4" mpt


bayoupr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/12/2014, 03:11 PM   #1482
Piper27
I love bengals
 
Piper27's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Manassas Virginia
Posts: 2,512
I got tired of cleaning my neck every other day so I brought my collection cup and visited with Justin at avast and got a swabbie. The micro blade is the right one that fits this neck. The 6" top came with screws that bottom out so I will have to talk with him and get longer ones. Also the blade on the micro wiper needs to be sent out long and you should cut it yourself. It is floppy at points because the wiper base is so snall but seems like it will be stiff enough to clean it, even though there is no support on the ends We will see
It says to run for 15 min. 4 times a day but I am running it all day til I can find a new timer. That way I can see how well it works. Its not interfering with the bubbles, its just making them spin around the cup slowly til they fall over. I am guessing my cup will completely fill in a day now. It used to fill halfway up in one day. I will need the auto shut off and bucket setup for this now. I can't wait til its setup and I will rarely have to touch it!


Piper27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/12/2014, 03:13 PM   #1483
Piper27
I love bengals
 
Piper27's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Manassas Virginia
Posts: 2,512



Piper27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/13/2014, 10:59 AM   #1484
shermanator
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 854
I have a SVS-30 and a lifereef sump. Neither are setup yet (I've been taking forever to do my new install) and have two questions:

1) My sump is setup to have the skimmer internal or external. Sump is in the basement, so I have room for either way. Aside from pump selection (which is question #2), is there any advantage to either setup? I am planning to go with internal as a safety measure (in case of flood, better to be in sump), but if there is a performance advantage to doing external, I might go that route.

2) I have a Mag12, but I see a lot of posts in this thread using a Mag18 for the 30". Assuming I leave the skimmer internal, should I go with the Mag18 for better performance with the 30"? I know I'd be looking at a BlueLine (BL 30HDX, or similar) pump if I put the skimmer external.

Thanks!


shermanator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/13/2014, 11:27 AM   #1485
EvMiBo
VictoriaConcordiaCrescit
 
EvMiBo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Ft. Myers, FL
Posts: 1,929
I think the general consensus is that the pressure rated external pumps provide the best overall performance. As far as submersible pumps it seems to be tough to beat the mags (I'd go mag18 over the mag12), but people have also used laguna maxflows, jebaos, and some others. You can have the best of both worlds though, just drill the sump so you can plumb to and from the external pump, while the skimmer stays in the sump. I've flirted with the idea of doing this, but for now will be giving the jebao dc9000 a shot on the 30" body (finally being delivered today!). If I had a basement like you do I wouldn't hesitate to do what I mentioned above.


__________________
Evan | DSA 135g Peninsula
EvMiBo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/13/2014, 11:36 AM   #1486
shermanator
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 854
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvMiBo View Post
You can have the best of both worlds though, just drill the sump so you can plumb to and from the external pump, while the skimmer stays in the sump.
Thanks -- This sounds like a great idea! And it never crossed my mind, but it's a perfect solution.

I've had the sump and skimmer since June and at the rate I am going with the new tank, it'll be next spring before I have it up and running (or maybe I'll make some progress around the holidays, fingers crossed).

For a 30" external, is the BL 30HDX the best bet? Or worth the slight upgrade to the 40 HDX?


shermanator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/13/2014, 11:48 AM   #1487
EvMiBo
VictoriaConcordiaCrescit
 
EvMiBo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Ft. Myers, FL
Posts: 1,929
Quote:
Originally Posted by shermanator View Post
Thanks -- This sounds like a great idea! And it never crossed my mind, but it's a perfect solution.

I've had the sump and skimmer since June and at the rate I am going with the new tank, it'll be next spring before I have it up and running (or maybe I'll make some progress around the holidays, fingers crossed).

For a 30" external, is the BL 30HDX the best bet? Or worth the slight upgrade to the 40 HDX?
Just make sure you get that Aluminum experiment finished. As I mentioned in the other thread I'm very interested in the results.

As far as which external pump I can only say that the BL/Panworld 30HDX is what lifereef recommends. But these bodies can handle more, for example Jeff uses a mag12 on his 24" body whereas the website recommends a mag9. I have no experience so far with the external pumps but many in the thread do. I have a strong feeling it could handle more than the 30HD, but I don't know if the 40HD or 40HDX would be better for the skimmer. The HD's have higher max. head pressures/lower outputs and the HDX's have a higher output/lower max. head pressure, if that makes sense.

I've followed this thread since June, you think I would know the answer to that.

Here's an AquaCave link for pump comparison details. I think we should let the more seasoned LR'ers chime in though. Finally, the japanese motor Iwaki's are slightly quieter and consume slightly less wattage, but they are more expensive as well. Many choice here!


__________________
Evan | DSA 135g Peninsula
EvMiBo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/13/2014, 12:03 PM   #1488
shermanator
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 854
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvMiBo View Post
Just make sure you get that Aluminum experiment finished. As I mentioned in the other thread I'm very interested in the results.

As far as which external pump I can only say that the BL/Panworld 30HDX is what lifereef recommends. But these bodies can handle more, for example Jeff uses a mag12 on his 24" body whereas the website recommends a mag9. I have no experience so far with the external pumps but many in the thread do. I have a strong feeling it could handle more than the 30HD, but I don't know if the 40HD or 40HDX would be better for the skimmer. The HD's have higher max. head pressures/lower outputs and the HDX's have a higher output/lower max. head pressure, if that makes sense.

I've followed this thread since June, you think I would know the answer to that.

Here's an AquaCave link for pump comparison details. I think we should let the more seasoned LR'ers chime in though. Finally, the japanese motor Iwaki's are slightly quieter and consume slightly less wattage, but they are more expensive as well. Many choice here!
A grad student is going to do the aluminum testing, so my aquarium distractions won't effect the speed of those results. =)

I get lost in all the pressure rated vs not (and the subsequent BlueLine designation). I know (think?) the venturi is causing the need for pressure, but when I'm looking at pressure vs head height I get lost in how that relates to a skimmer. And I'm always confused why Jeff recommends the HD-X pumps if everyone here says the pressure rated HD pumps are superior (but I believe the masses).

I don't mind the BlueLine because they are relatively cheap and seem to last forever (and my electricity costs are low).

I'll just defer to whatever the LR experts say... anyone else have an opinion on the best external pump for a VS-30? Thanks!


shermanator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/13/2014, 02:16 PM   #1489
shermanator
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 854
Oh, and if it matters, my VS-30 has the mazzei venturi.


shermanator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/14/2014, 06:29 AM   #1490
Piper27
I love bengals
 
Piper27's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Manassas Virginia
Posts: 2,512
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piper27 View Post
This thing works great, there is no gunk on my neck and it is not built up on the blade either. I think running it continuously is helping it. Its not disturbing bubbles and hopefully I will not have to clean it for a good while. Keep you guys updated.


Piper27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/14/2014, 07:49 AM   #1491
azjohnny
Registered Member
 
azjohnny's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Gold Canyon
Posts: 2,914
IMO a non pressure pump gets good results, if you need to turn down the incoming air with a needle valve whats the use of going with a pressure pump ( the reason of going with a pressure pump is to draw more air)

I have a VS3-36 with a Fluval Seas SP4 and a Mazzei 1078 and very happy with the results and its still stable.

By drawing more you are messing with the balance of the skimmer and you can get inconsistent skimming ( if you are getting more than 1.5" of foam below the flange it will be unstable)


azjohnny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/14/2014, 12:28 PM   #1492
Adam G
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Mpls, MN
Posts: 208
Been skimming for a several weeks now and all is good. Using the Laguna Max flow 2000 on the 30" skimmer and am happy with the results. Being the OCD reefer that I am I want to make sure that I am getting the most out of my skimmer. Here is a pic of my my Dwyer meter results about 20 to 21 SCFH:



Getting good amounts of skimmate as you can see here. This is 3 days worth on my 150g:



As you can see I cam skimming a bit wet. The skimmate is Dark Tea color.

So the question I have to ask is am I getting maximum results with 20 SCFH or should I be trying to achieve more with a different pump? Anyone find they get more skimming with higher SCFH? I am using the 978 Mazzei Venuri. If more air equals more skim I will go ahead and try Mag 18 and see what it pulls and see how it does. If other have found 20 SCFH to be a sweet spot for the 30" than I will tell myself that I am good and leave it alone!


__________________
If reefing was easy, everyone would be doing it!

Current Tank Info: 150g Miracles Rimless, AI Hydra 52's, Tunzes, & tons of Anthias!

Last edited by Dino; 04/06/2018 at 06:10 AM.
Adam G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/14/2014, 12:35 PM   #1493
bayoupr
Registered Member
 
bayoupr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Louisiana
Posts: 1,308
I would leave it. Anything much higher than 20scfh makes the foam head unstable.


bayoupr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/14/2014, 12:40 PM   #1494
EvMiBo
VictoriaConcordiaCrescit
 
EvMiBo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Ft. Myers, FL
Posts: 1,929
Finally finally finally!

I picked up kris101's 30" LR a couple weeks ago. And my jebao dc9000 was delivered yesterday

I have pretty limited sump space, my "skimmer section" is pretty small at 11"x11". Instead of cramping everything into the section, which would make getting to my fileter socks a headache, I decided to plumb it so that the pump will stay in the larger return section, where I have more space available. I hard plumbed it today and have it in a vinegar bath right now. Do you all think my plumbing will be alright? I was kind of conerned about 90 + 2 45 elbows... Also, the gate valve will be about 1.5" underwater, I know this has been discussed before somewhere, but just wanted to make sure there won't be much of a back pressure issue? If necessary I can pull up the pipe so that the gate valve exit is slightly out of water... The pictures are about 5 minutes after firing everything up, already cleaning the inside of the body (picture 4)!


Attached Images
File Type: jpg photo 1 (16).jpg (66.9 KB, 94 views)
File Type: jpg photo 2 (15).jpg (50.8 KB, 91 views)
File Type: jpg photo 3 (10).jpg (67.4 KB, 88 views)
File Type: jpg photo (21).jpg (46.4 KB, 86 views)
__________________
Evan | DSA 135g Peninsula
EvMiBo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/14/2014, 12:55 PM   #1495
azjohnny
Registered Member
 
azjohnny's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Gold Canyon
Posts: 2,914
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvMiBo View Post
I picked up kris101's 30" LR a couple weeks ago. And my jebao dc9000 was delivered yesterday

I have pretty limited sump space, my "skimmer section" is pretty small at 11"x11". Instead of cramping everything into the section, which would make getting to my fileter socks a headache, I decided to plumb it so that the pump will stay in the larger return section, where I have more space available. I hard plumbed it today and have it in a vinegar bath right now. Do you all think my plumbing will be alright? I was kind of conerned about 90 + 2 45 elbows... Also, the gate valve will be about 1.5" underwater, I know this has been discussed before somewhere, but just wanted to make sure there won't be much of a back pressure issue? If necessary I can pull up the pipe so that the gate valve exit is slightly out of water... The pictures are about 5 minutes after firing everything up, already cleaning the inside of the body (picture 4)!
You will have no problems with back pressure having the gate valve under water. There will be some back pressure but you just adjust the gate valve to compensate. I have a 90 degree elbow with my design and no issues

Here is a pic of mine before I installed it in the sump


Attached Images
File Type: jpg Lifereef 2.JPG (93.8 KB, 95 views)
azjohnny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/14/2014, 01:32 PM   #1496
EvMiBo
VictoriaConcordiaCrescit
 
EvMiBo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Ft. Myers, FL
Posts: 1,929
Good to hear, that's what I was thinking. Too lazy to go searching right now


__________________
Evan | DSA 135g Peninsula
EvMiBo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/14/2014, 01:39 PM   #1497
rEeFnWrX
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Katy, TX
Posts: 422
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvMiBo View Post
I picked up kris101's 30" LR a couple weeks ago. And my jebao dc9000 was delivered yesterday

I have pretty limited sump space, my "skimmer section" is pretty small at 11"x11". Instead of cramping everything into the section, which would make getting to my fileter socks a headache, I decided to plumb it so that the pump will stay in the larger return section, where I have more space available. I hard plumbed it today and have it in a vinegar bath right now. Do you all think my plumbing will be alright? I was kind of conerned about 90 + 2 45 elbows... Also, the gate valve will be about 1.5" underwater, I know this has been discussed before somewhere, but just wanted to make sure there won't be much of a back pressure issue? If necessary I can pull up the pipe so that the gate valve exit is slightly out of water... The pictures are about 5 minutes after firing everything up, already cleaning the inside of the body (picture 4)!

You want to add a section of silicon or vinyl tubing. Jeff won't warranty any skimmer that is hard plumbed 100% to the pump.

Also, there is no issue with back pressure during normal operation with the gate valve underwater.

However, if your sump water level rises or falls due to the outlet from the skimmer body being under water you may see fluctuation in skimming performance... water rises in sump you will skim wetter, water drops in sump, you will skim dryer...

This is not because of back pressure. This is because since your water level is where the outlet is right from the skimmer body. When the water rises or falls in the sump your static base water level in the skimmer will also rise or fall.

If your skimmer outlet is above your water level at all times. the sump water leveling rising or falling will never affect your skimming


__________________
Currently setting up new system - Custom PA 137 Gal - 60" x 24" x 22" ||| External semi Coast-2-Coast 44" overflow with BeanAnimal ||| LifeReef SVS2-24 - CLF2 Sump with 20 gal Refugium ||| ReefAngel
rEeFnWrX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/14/2014, 02:14 PM   #1498
EvMiBo
VictoriaConcordiaCrescit
 
EvMiBo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Ft. Myers, FL
Posts: 1,929
Thanks. The skimmer section water level doesn't change, the return section does (where the pump will be).

That's kind of a bummer about the hard plumbing voiding the warranty. I'd have to rebuild most of the plumbing since all slip plumbing is glued. I guess I should email Jeff anyway since I'm the second owner and all.


__________________
Evan | DSA 135g Peninsula
EvMiBo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/14/2014, 08:01 PM   #1499
gar732
Registered Member
 
gar732's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: CT
Posts: 1,813
I've got a couple questions for you guys, I'm looking to join the club. I'm thinking about picking up an svs3-24 for an approximately 140 gallon grow out system for my clowns. I'm not 100% sure what I'm going to use for a sump so it might go up or down by 10-20 gallons. There will be heavy feeding and a large bio load. Do you guys think this skimmer would be a good fit? Also will an ehiem 1262 be a good pump for that skimmer, I have this pump already. The system may grow by another 100 gallons in the future at which point I would buy an extention for the skimmer and go with a bigger pump, but that would be a little while before that happens. And lastly could anyone tell me what the ID of the neck is and how tall the stock cup is? Thanks


gar732 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/14/2014, 08:08 PM   #1500
rEeFnWrX
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Katy, TX
Posts: 422
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvMiBo View Post
Thanks. The skimmer section water level doesn't change, the return section does (where the pump will be).

That's kind of a bummer about the hard plumbing voiding the warranty. I'd have to rebuild most of the plumbing since all slip plumbing is glued. I guess I should email Jeff anyway since I'm the second owner and all.
Just use a PVC cutter and glue on a 3/4" female slip x female threaded... then a 3/4" hose barb then attach silicone tube to another hosr barb on the pump and you are gtg...


__________________
Currently setting up new system - Custom PA 137 Gal - 60" x 24" x 22" ||| External semi Coast-2-Coast 44" overflow with BeanAnimal ||| LifeReef SVS2-24 - CLF2 Sump with 20 gal Refugium ||| ReefAngel
rEeFnWrX is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:26 AM.


TapaTalk Enabled

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Powered by Searchlight © 2021 Axivo Inc.
Use of this web site is subject to the terms and conditions described in the user agreement.
Reef CentralTM Reef Central, LLC. Copyright 1999-2014
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.3.0 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2021 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.