Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Old 08/04/2010, 12:28 PM   #1
john_blaze
Registered Member

Ammonia stuck at .25mg/L

For about a month now my ammonia has been at .25. I thought my tests were bad so I went out and bought a Salifert ammonia test and it showed .25 as well.

Any ideas why I am stuck at this number? I know that the cycle takes some time, but a whole month of .25 readings seems odd to me...

as always any/all suggestions are appreciated!!

john_blaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/04/2010, 12:29 PM   #2
Allmost
Moved On

tell us about the system and what you are trying to cycle, how did u get cycle started and ....

Allmost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/04/2010, 12:40 PM   #3
Toddrtrex
Registered Member

Are you using any tap water conditioners ? If memory serves they can give a false ammonia reading.

Current Tank Info: 210g reef and 65g reef
Toddrtrex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/04/2010, 12:43 PM   #4
Allmost
Moved On

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toddrtrex View Post
Are you using any tap water conditioners ? If memory serves they can give a false ammonia reading.
some will also turn chloramine to ammonia ! only prime removes the ammonia I think.

Old 08/04/2010, 12:50 PM   #5
john_blaze
Registered Member

The system is a 125g with 55g sump...I have been getting crazy amounts of foam so the skimmer is not running until I can build a stand to get it at the right water level.

I only use RO/DI water for topoff and I started the system with natural seawater (I live in San Diego so I use filtered seawater from a local source ). I put defrosted shrimps in the tank to get my cycle started (begining of july) and have been taking readings ~2 times a week.

My LR was from a tank breakdown but he kept the rocks in unheated water for ~1 month before I got them so I dont think there was much bacteria left. I also bought "live sand" to help seed, whether or not it did any good is obviously debatable...

Anything else you need to know?

thanks for the help!!

Old 08/04/2010, 02:10 PM   #6
Allmost
Moved On

hmm okay, the shrimp was really not needed, as the Live rock (maybe I should say Ex live rock) had alot of die offs, so full of ammonia, and now its just leacking it out ! may take up to 6 months for it to clear !

take the shrimp out for sure. now about the rocks. they will be leaching out nh4 and po4 and no3 for at least the next 6 months, almost like uncured live rock.

so u can wait it out, ot u can pull the rocks out, cook them and leave in RO/DI water till the stop leacking out stuff, and then cycle the tank again with those rocks and the Live sand u got in there already.

of course, before taking action, wait for others to reply I can always be wrong (hopefully I am cause I know how much waiting for 6 months sucks :P )

Old 08/04/2010, 02:41 PM   #7
john_blaze
Registered Member

The shrimp dissolved a long time ago so I cant take it out....one question though: if the rocks are leaking ammonia wouldn't that steady supply help to grow more bacteria?

Also about cooking the rocks...I think I read to put them in the oven at like 400 for a few hours...? is that right? and then I keep testing the RO/DI water until there is no more detectable ammonia?

thanks for the help

Old 08/04/2010, 02:48 PM   #8
Allmost
Moved On

Quote:
Originally Posted by john_blaze View Post
The shrimp dissolved a long time ago so I cant take it out....one question though: if the rocks are leaking ammonia wouldn't that steady supply help to grow more bacteria?

Also about cooking the rocks...I think I read to put them in the oven at like 400 for a few hours...? is that right? and then I keep testing the RO/DI water until there is no more detectable ammonia?

thanks for the help

yes, the rocks will keep providing a source of ammonia, bacteria keep reppoducing, end product of no3 (nitrate ) keeps producing and ... it willbe one HUGE Cycle, which will take about 6 months, at which point ure left wiht ALOT of end products and ... water changes need to be done during this time to not let the ammonia and by products kill the bacteria, remember ammonia is toxic, for me, its too much work on a tank with nothing in it lol I'm lazy personly lol

I'm no expert in cooking rocks, but I always boil them in RO/DI water ! I rinsed it outside, scrape off anything on it, boil it for a coupe hours, then rinse again, and leave in RO/DI water. and the rest you got it you basically test for ammonia and phosphate until they stop leaking out.

I assume the rocks have a bad ocean smell into them right now as well.

Old 08/04/2010, 03:17 PM   #9
SuperNemo
Registered Member

I'm also cycling my tank, but i have dry everything. i put a shrimp in, but amonia for me is stuck at .5, i know its only been one week, but doesn't seem to be moving up or down.

Do i have to watch out for the level of amonia? Is it okay if the ammonia were to reach above 2 or maybe 4 if it happens?

Jim

SuperNemo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/04/2010, 03:29 PM   #10
Allmost
Moved On

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperNemo View Post
I'm also cycling my tank, but i have dry everything. i put a shrimp in, but amonia for me is stuck at .5, i know its only been one week, but doesn't seem to be moving up or down.

Do i have to watch out for the level of amonia? Is it okay if the ammonia were to reach above 2 or maybe 4 if it happens?

Jim

if ammonia gets Way too high, since its toxic, it can kill the bacteria that consume it.

so you have dry aragonite sand, and dry rocks, and now seeding them ? if so its normal for nh4 not to change much after a week. but do notice that the shrimp is adding ammonia to tank all the time, so if the ammonia is not increasing, the production of ammonia and consumption are at balance, so u need to wait more so the bacteria will outweight the nh4 and ... .

Old 08/04/2010, 04:10 PM   #11
Floowid
Registered Member

Just relax and let the thing cycle. Live rock that sat unheated in water may not have been the most fertile source of good denitrifying bacteria, but it was probably loaded with bio matter which died or is still dying. All cycles are different, I have seen them take as long as 2 months. One thing that seems pretty consistent is the longer the cycle the more robust the system once cycle completes.

Old 08/04/2010, 06:08 PM   #12
john_blaze
Registered Member

the rocks didnt smell at all when I got them...smelled like seawater...there was a NASTY smell when I first put the shrimp and it started to decompose, but that went away after a few days...I think I will stick it out a little longer and see what happens before I try again...If there is one thing I have learned from all my reading is that this hobby requires P A T I E N C E

thanks for all the help