Reef Central Online Community
Marine Depot

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Old 01/02/2017, 08:38 AM   #1
Joshnieder216
Registered Member

Biocube 32 face palm

Hello Everyone,
I've been working on getting my new tank setup for a few months now. A lot of saving planning and enjoyment have gone into getting everything lined out and ready to go. Started out with a new biocube 32 and built my own stand. I've had 40 lbs of BRS reef saver rock curing in a seperate heated tank since the beginning October in preparation for getting everything else bought. Around the middle of December I decided I wanted to build a rock wall for the back of the tank (which in my opinion turned out really well) once Christmas came and i finally got everything from my wish list it was time to get this thing filled up with water and out of the starting gate.
So Last Thursday Night I decided to bring the rock in to build my reefscape in which i was going for a horse shoe that kinda grew from the back wall. All was going well until i ran out of my aquarium safe silicone and grabbed another tube from the garage without diligently assuring it was aquarium safe... Naturally it was a tube of GE II.
It is truly amazing and humbling to see how so much planning can come crashing down in a matter of moments when you get in a hurry because the light at the end of the tunnel is so bright.
So im seeking advice for how I should go about removing all traces of said GE II and ANY residue from my new tank before officially starting my cycle. So far i have removed all rock (besides the rock wall attatched to the tank with aquarium safe silicone) used a razor blade to scrape up and remove everything from glass and wiped everything down with distilled vinegar.
I fully expect everyone to tell me how much of a fool i am, but will only acknowledge if sound advice for getting back on track is given! I apologize for the long post but appreciate everyones time for reading.

Joshnieder216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/02/2017, 08:47 AM   #2
gone fishin
Registered Member

I would speculate all you can really do is get as much as possible out. IMO once it has fully cured it poses no more of a problem than the GE I silicone. good luck, Just my 2 cents.

Current Tank Info: 180gal DT, BM NAC77 skimmer,3 Maxspect razors, Maxspect Gyre 150, 30g QT
gone fishin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/02/2017, 09:31 AM   #3
scooters reef
Registered Member

With all the physical removal and cleanup with vinegar I'd think you're ok. Give it extra cure time for any little bits you missed. For peace of mind I'd probably run carbon for awhile.

Old 01/02/2017, 10:03 AM   #4
Joshnieder216
Registered Member

Thanks for the quick responses. It brings a lot of peace of mind to hear that all is not lost. tonight when i get home from work im gonna go through cleaning the tank with a scraper and vinegar again and start going through rock pieces to see what i can get cleaned up and try again. Any thoughts on a once over with acetone for the residue or should i just stick to the vinegar?

Old 01/02/2017, 01:52 PM   #5
scooters reef
Registered Member

I don't know that acetone will add much for clean up. However, it evaporates so quickly it wouldn't harm anything if used on the glass. It's over my head, and may be ok, but I wouldn't use it on any rock though. If most is all physically removed I don't think I'd stress about it long. Ok, maybe a sleepless night or two, lol.

Old 01/02/2017, 03:04 PM   #6
homer1475
Registered Member

I personally would just let the silicone cure, with ample cure time it will be fine.

Originally posted by der_wille_zur_macht:

"He's just taking his lunch to work"
homer1475 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/02/2017, 03:26 PM   #7
Joshnieder216
Registered Member

Ha, I had the sleepless nights. I was pretty upset with myself. Chalk it up as a learning experience and thankful I caught it when I did. Just went through my rock and physically removed as much as I could and discarded the rest. Gonna give the glass a once over with acetone just to be safe and why not? Once that's done gonna redo the rockscape with GE I then to be safe I'm gonna let it set for a week or so before adding water.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tags
biocube, fix, fng, silicone