Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Nano Reefs
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Old 06/20/2016, 01:43 PM   #1
JohnReefTank
Registered Member

Question Rimless Biocube 29?

So I decided I wanted to go rimless on my biocube. I have searched how to do it but I just do not understand very well how to do it when described in words. I have the right tools for it (hacksaw, utility knife) but I just don't understand. Is there anyway one of you guys could possibly make a video showing the process? That would help a TON. I'm new here by the way so hello everyone!

Thanks in advance for all the help!

JohnReefTank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/20/2016, 10:45 PM   #2
j_mazzy
Registered Member

ttt. would like to see this.

j_mazzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/21/2016, 06:34 AM   #3
DustanT
Registered Member

From what I've seen you have to cut the rim at the back wall and use a putty knife to separate the rim from the glass, then clean up the silicone with a new razor blade.

Old 06/21/2016, 11:00 AM   #4
kingpin9995
Registered Member

It's easy. I did it a few weeks back on my 29. I used my dremil tool with the circular blade . Just cut at the top on both sides at the back just before the chambers Then make another cut in the front in the middle top. Then just a matter of using a putty knife to start to loosen it. Works nice with all the water weight in the tank. It takes a bit of energy to get it loose. After you have the top off just a matter of a straight edge blade and taking off the silicone. It looks great. I wish I had done it sooner. Zero salt creep like you'd get with the frame on. A quick wipe up with a paper towel along the edge every week or so.

kingpin9995 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/21/2016, 02:04 PM   #5
JohnReefTank
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingpin9995 View Post
It's easy. I did it a few weeks back on my 29. I used my dremil tool with the circular blade . Just cut at the top on both sides at the back just before the chambers Then make another cut in the front in the middle top. Then just a matter of using a putty knife to start to loosen it. Works nice with all the water weight in the tank. It takes a bit of energy to get it loose. After you have the top off just a matter of a straight edge blade and taking off the silicone. It looks great. I wish I had done it sooner. Zero salt creep like you'd get with the frame on. A quick wipe up with a paper towel along the edge every week or so.
Thanks for the reply, you have to scrape the silicone off on the inside as well? If so, then I'm just going to forget about it all together because I have stock already in there.

Old 06/21/2016, 04:08 PM   #6
JohnReefTank
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DustanT View Post
From what I've seen you have to cut the rim at the back wall and use a putty knife to separate the rim from the glass, then clean up the silicone with a new razor blade.
Have you done it yourself? I need to know if you have to work the part of the rim that is on the inside of the tank. I have a completely stocked tank and I don't want to risk the tank inhabitants. Is it still possible to do this with fish still in the tank? Pls let me know ASAP. Thxx

Tags
biocube, nano tank, rimless, video