Reef Central Online Community
Neptune Systems

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Nano Reefs
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Old 10/04/2016, 09:53 AM   #1
hipertec
Registered Member

JBJ 28 Nanocube LED light strip NOT ON

Have the JBJ 28 gallon advanced nanocube LED hood. It comes with 5 strips of LED lights and now 2 of the 5 are out and not working.

JBJ wants $70 per strip to get them replaced which is CRAZY!.
As anyone found a replacement to get them LED strip replaced?

I cant believe that JBJ are not replacing these as it looks like these go out all the time and their suppose to last 20K hours.

hipertec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/04/2016, 10:04 AM   #2
ReefWreak
Registered Member

Is there only one power brick for all of the strips? If there are multiple power bricks, have you been able to test to see whether it is the power supply or the actual LED strips that went bad? Usually the power supply, not the LEDs, goes bad, so there are options to replace that.

I haven't seen many people posting around here about the 28g LED, so I'm interested to see what people come up with. I'll also do some googling and see if I find anything interesting.

ReefWreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/04/2016, 10:36 AM   #3
hipertec
Registered Member

Its only one power brick to power the 5 strips. It looks like the LED strip is bad as when I unplug the LED strip from the board, there is current going to it.

Im hoping its an easy fix as replacing the LED by un-soldering it and finding the correct ones. Hope someone can chime in on a fix. I think alot of people with this tank have this same problem.

Old 10/04/2016, 10:43 AM   #4
aznflyfisherman
Registered Member

For $70 each i just spend the extra money n get an ai prime or ai hydra26. Might find a good deal for a use hydra 26.

aznflyfisherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/04/2016, 11:06 AM   #5
ReefWreak
Registered Member

I just found this thread:

http://www.nano-reef.com/topic/32107...-the-led-gawd/ which looks really helpful.

Post #13 explains how to replace individual LEDs. If you're not comfortable doing that, then I would just suck it up and buy an AI Prime or RapidLED retrofit or other lighting kit and call it a day.

ReefWreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/06/2016, 04:04 PM   #6
Jeremy725
Registered Member

I have had my entire LED Pro strips replaced by JBJ and they went out AGAIN!
Paid $100 to have it replaced and it lasted less than a year and fried all my corals. Throwing the hood away and putting on EcoTech G4. Done w JBJ. Awful. ����

Current Tank Info: 28 Gallon JBJ. Radion G4 xr15 Pro, Vortech MP10, Bak Pak 2 Skimmer, Clown, Coral Banded, CUC, GSP
Jeremy725 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/06/2016, 05:52 PM   #7
hipertec
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy725 View Post
I have had my entire LED Pro strips replaced by JBJ and they went out AGAIN!
Paid $100 to have it replaced and it lasted less than a year and fried all my corals. Throwing the hood away and putting on EcoTech G4. Done w JBJ. Awful. ����
I will NEVER BUY JBJ again and I suggest everyone to NEVER buy any of their products.
Ive researched and it looks like this is a very common problem. In their manual, its says 50,000 hrs and up to 10 years. I have not even come close to those numbers and they flat out said it will cost $140 to replace the two strips, that probably cost JBJ a few dollars for the LED strips. They will only cover the first year WITH you registering on their website. All bull crap talk since they put 50K hours/10yrs...

They also said as 1 strip goes out, eventually, all the others will too as the power is not going to the others stronger. Even if 1 LED out of the 5 on the strip is out, it will shut down all of them down. Why would you design the LED in a series????? Their design is FLAWED and they want the customers to pay for it by overcharging. OR this may be done intentional to make customers spend more $$$ with them.

HORRIBLE CUSTOMER SERVICE! WILL NEVER BUY THEIR PRODUCTS AGAIN AND I SUGGEST EVERYONE TO NEVER BUY EITHER. THEY DO NOT STAND BEHIND ANY OF THEIR PRODUCTS!!

Last edited by hipertec; 10/06/2016 at 06:00 PM.
Old 10/07/2016, 12:42 PM   #8
hipertec
Registered Member

OK- I have fixed the LED strips and they are now working. It cost me about $5 for the parts and about 20 mins.

I will post another thread of the LED fix so JBJ will stop ripping off their customers. I really cant understand how horrible JBJ company is and that they design an expensive hood that is flawed and get customers to pay for it.

IT was 2 LED burnt out (bought 10 for $3.50) that caused the whole strip to go out. I will soon post a Fix for this issue for everyone.

Old 05/04/2020, 05:50 PM   #9
ed4fun
Registered Member

Replacement LEDS

Did you ever post info on LED replacements??

ed4fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/05/2020, 12:20 PM   #10
hipertec
Registered Member

Sorry- its been so long. It was alot of work to replace them and sooner or later, all the stock LEDs will fail so I got rid of the tank already.