Reef Central Online Community
Tunze USA

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Old 07/30/2017, 08:45 PM   #1
mdhill0318
Registered Member

Best tank for beginners??

I have been researching for weeks before I make my first purchase. So far I really like the Biocube 32 gallon. I have also seen a Nuvo that sparked my interest. Some people have said do not get a smaller tank and some say it is better to start smaller. What is your opinion? Thank you all!

mdhill0318 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/30/2017, 09:02 PM   #2
gtp0083
Registered Member

Personally I would stay away from biocubes. They are very nice tanks but really limit what you can do.

I like All In One tanks(AIO). I have one myself. I would choose something more customizable like the Nuvo if I was looking between the biocube and it.

For your first tank, if size matters, I would look at building a standard 29 or even better a 40 breeder. That way you can choose your filtration, your lights, add a sump if you want. It will help you learn faster and honestly might cost less.

Just my 2 cents. I'm no expert just telling from experience.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gtp0083 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/30/2017, 09:05 PM   #3
gprdypoo04
Registered Member

Smaller tanks are probably not the best to begin with. Just go with the biggest tank you can afford. 32 is not too bad to begin with.. Got to start somewhere.

gprdypoo04 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07/30/2017, 10:27 PM   #4
bif24701
Registered Member

48"x24"x24" 120 gallons are basically perfect for beginners.

Kessil AP700/ MP60+6105
Kalk+2 part/ Cheato Fuge

Current Tank Info: 180 SPS Dominant
bif24701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/31/2017, 04:12 AM   #5
Jlentz
Registered Member

40 breeder is awesome for a starter. Fairly cheap to get as well.

120 is awesome if you can make it happen. Quite a bit more though.

Jlentz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/31/2017, 04:47 AM   #6
SycoCell
Registered Member

I started with a 120g. Wouldn't change a thing if I started again. The tank is so stable and easy for a newb like me.

Old 07/31/2017, 06:47 AM   #7
bif24701
Registered Member

Since they are 4' equipment costs for most things like lighting cost just as much for a 55, 75, or a 90.

The volume is better to handle for stability. This is huge. Most do not realize that nano Reefs are more difficult to start with because small changes or mistakes are amplified and cause bigger problems.

Glass 120s don't cost much more that a comparable 75 or 90 because the 4' width doesn't require thicker glass like a 6' glass tank.

New glass 120 can cost ~400$, a 180, next step up, cost more than twice that!

The 120 volume also allows you much more option in fish choices.

Kessil AP700/ MP60+6105
Kalk+2 part/ Cheato Fuge

Current Tank Info: 180 SPS Dominant
bif24701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/31/2017, 06:57 AM   #8
billdogg
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bif24701 View Post
Since they are 4' equipment costs for most things like lighting cost just as much for a 55, 75, or a 90.

The volume is better to handle for stability. This is huge. Most do not realize that nano Reefs are more difficult to start with because small changes or mistakes are amplified and cause bigger problems.

Glass 120s don't cost much more that a comparable 75 or 90 because the 4' width doesn't require thicker glass like a 6' glass tank.

New glass 120 can cost ~400$, a 180, next step up, cost more than twice that!

The 120 volume also allows you much more option in fish choices.

^^^This^^^

Current Tank Info: 120 mixed reef with 40b sump, RO 150 skimmer, AI Sol Blue x 2, and a 60g Frag Tank with 100g rubbermaid sump. 2 x Kessil A360w lights, BM curve 5 skimmer
billdogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/31/2017, 07:13 AM   #9
JTL
Registered Member

We have had a few tanks in the 100g size. That is a comfortable size for us and generally fits nicely into available spaces. To me location and visual appeal is important. I think an aquarium should be like a painting or any other piece of art. Attractive, interesting but not overwhelming. I also suggest keeping the tank height to no more than 20", obviously a personal preference but anything higher is difficult to reach into unless you have long arms. My wife spends more time than I do cleaning and tending to the corals and she would prefer not to be in the water up to her shoulders.

I don't think you will find a nice new rimless 100g for much under $1000. I shopped around recently and found one for $850 with some going as high as $2500. Even 1/2" glass is expensive, especially low iron.

100 gallon DT and 50 gallon sump with refugium. Reefbreeders Photon V2+.
JTL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/31/2017, 08:05 AM   #10
Tcox
Registered Member

I would agree that a 40 gallon breeder would be a good starter. I wouldn't recommend spending on a large system until you get your feet wet in the hobby (figuratively). Buy bigger better equipment that can be used for a bigger system. Plus the better equipment has better resale value in case you don't like eh hobby. Run the 40 for a while and you'll be able to better tell yourself what you want. Also the 40 breeder makes a great sump or quarantine tank later down he line.

Tcox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/31/2017, 08:59 AM   #11
Barro777
Registered Member

I started off with a 40g breeder. Drilled it myself. Oh wait, I still have that same breeder.. And loving it, lol

Barro777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/31/2017, 09:30 AM   #12
Sk8r
RC Mod

I'd recommend a 100 or 120 with 30 gallon sump if you have the funds and any reasonable confidence you're serious about this longterm.
a) the 100's are more stable, easier to keep
b) the scale-up of equipment means nothing for the smaller tanks tends to be reusable in the larger ones if you decide to expand.
c) you can light one area of the tank with top end stuff and work up to full lighting as funds happen. Just put any corals in that location...but do NOT skimp on the skimmer.
My basic advice is---make up your mind what fish you want to keep, if fish are your thing, and then find out if you can house that fish in the tank you can afford. We keep fish that get 10 to12" long---and as they get larger, they come into conflict with tankmates, and your little tank becomes a war zone. Corals are nicer: they manage to get along. Fish in a glass box not so much, and they grow real fast. Fish stores are often good about taking back little fishes, but if you've got a 12" hippo tang, how many of those can your typical fish store find a home for? If your tank is too little, the fish kill each other off. Two fish that ARE compatible may turn aggressive toward each other if the tank is too small. And even 100 gallons is too small for the hippo tang.

Salinity 1.024-6; alkalinity 8.3-9.3 on KH scale; calcium 420; magnesium 1300, temp 78-80, nitrate .2. Ammonia 0. No filters: lps tank. Alk and cal won't rise if mg is low.

Current Tank Info: 105g AquaVim wedge, chromis, royal gramma basslet, tailspot blenny, ocellaris clown, yellow watchman, chestnut turbo snails, bristleworms, couple of hermits.

Last edited by Sk8r; 07/31/2017 at 09:57 AM.
Sk8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/31/2017, 10:14 AM   #13
cincyjim
Registered Member

My first tank was a 75g and it was a great tank however, I wish I had started out with a 125 or larger. I agree that you should look at what you want to keep fish and coral wise and then look at the tank sizes that you need to keep them in. That would be my starting point.

Current Tank Info: SCA 150G, 5 inch sand bed, 2 Tunze 6095s, ReefBreeders v2+ 50" with 2 all Blue Reefbrites, and Continuous Water Change System
cincyjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/31/2017, 12:31 PM   #14
mdhill0318
Registered Member

Thank you all! I am researching them all. So far the biocube seems f
More cost effective only because it comes with all the items to start up. Does anyone recommend a certain vendor for the best prices?

mdhill0318 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/31/2017, 12:59 PM   #15
cincyjim
Registered Member

I'm not familiar with those. There is a Nano Reefs forum which you should check out. I'm sure you'll find a lot good ideas there.

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=75

Current Tank Info: SCA 150G, 5 inch sand bed, 2 Tunze 6095s, ReefBreeders v2+ 50" with 2 all Blue Reefbrites, and Continuous Water Change System
cincyjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/31/2017, 01:13 PM   #16
PAXpress
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdhill0318 View Post
Thank you all! I am researching them all. So far the biocube seems f
More cost effective only because it comes with all the items to start up. Does anyone recommend a certain vendor for the best prices?

Honestly if you are looking for most cost effective check craigslist etc a lot of times people upgrade to a bigger or downgrade to a smaller and sell their tank cheap. Thats actually the boat I'm in, selling my 75g with sump and custom plumbing for cheaper than I bought the tank for. Used you really can get a good deal just be sure the tank holds water!

Old 08/01/2017, 01:06 PM   #17
squeakymcmurdo
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAXpress View Post
Honestly if you are looking for most cost effective check craigslist etc a lot of times people upgrade to a bigger or downgrade to a smaller and sell their tank cheap. Thats actually the boat I'm in, selling my 75g with sump and custom plumbing for cheaper than I bought the tank for. Used you really can get a good deal just be sure the tank holds water!
Yep, lurk a while on Craigslist and your local classifieds. I just scored a free 75 gallon with all the plumbing + extras. Patience is a virtue that is particularly important in this hobby.

squeakymcmurdo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
biocube, nuvo