Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Nano Reefs
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Old 04/25/2020, 10:40 AM   #1
ConnorG
Registered Member

Cloudy Water...Algae bloom?

Hey everyone! For some background, I have a 1 month old Fluval Evo 13.5, stock lighting, Hydor 260 return pump, and aqamai KPS powerhead. Started with about 8 lbs of live rock and 4 lbs of BRS reef saver dry rock. Cycle took just under 2 weeks using Dr. Timms ammonia and BioSpira. After the cycle was done I added 1 Percula clown, a couple hermit crabs, astrea snails, and a nassarius snail.

Everthing was going great. Had a small diatom bloom, snails took care of it and it was gone. After a couple more days, I noticed a small bit of hair algae popping up-mainly on the sand bed and a very small amount on my LR. I also was developing film algae on my glass at a much higher rate than normal. I was having to scrape it every couple of hours. I did a 25% water change, manually removed the clumps of algae from the sand bed, and shortened my lighting period. I also added a bag of Chemipure Elite. Yesterday, almost overnight, my water got very cloudy and the algae continued to come back.

Thinking the cloudy water could be a bacterial bloom, I added some carbon to hopefully remove any contaminants that could've caused that. I turned the lights off for the rest of the day and left them off until this morning. When I woke up this morning the water was back to being crystal clear. Turned the lights on and within 2 hours, the water was back to being cloudy again. This is making me think the cloudy water could be due to algae and not bacteria--I'm thinking phytoplankton. Plus, when I was doing my waterchange, the water appeared more of a greenish-yellow color.

My question is, I understand my tank is very new and algae blooms are somewhat expected. Is this something I should continue fighting aggressivley or should I just let it runs its course?

Parameters:

Salinity-1.025

pH-8

Ammonia, Nitrite-0

Nitrate-5 (I expected this with all of the algae)

Alkalinity-6.7 (my salt mixes up to a really low kH for some reason so I am dosing BRS Soda Ash to raise this slowly)

Ca-370

Phosphate-Iím waiting for more reagents that I ordered

Last edited by ConnorG; 04/25/2020 at 10:47 AM.
ConnorG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/25/2020, 11:20 AM   #2
nfritz565
Registered Member

Looks like bacteria bloom, let it run its course, its going to be a constant battle with your tank for the first year give or take a few months. Don't be too overreacting and keep adding chemicals trying to keep it balanced out. Its too new and it needs to mature more.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

nfritz565 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/25/2020, 11:21 AM   #3
nfritz565
Registered Member

Dm me if you have any questions or issues. I was in your shoes 2 years ago...

Old 04/25/2020, 05:13 PM   #4
ConnorG
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nfritz565 View Post
Looks like bacteria bloom, let it run its course, its going to be a constant battle with your tank for the first year give or take a few months. Don't be too overreacting and keep adding chemicals trying to keep it balanced out. Its too new and it needs to mature more.

Thanks for the help! Should I be concerned about the film algae? I have had reef tanks before and normally scrape the glass once a day. Now Iím doing it every few hours. Iím not too sure where my excess nutrients are coming from. I feed pellets (clown doesnít like mysis much at all) one time a day. Maybe a few extra fall to the bottom, but I canít see a few tiny pellets causing this much of a nutrient problem.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 04/25/2020, 05:24 PM   #5
nfritz565
Registered Member

I have a 32 cube and I purchased some gsp, some red macro algae and some chaeto to keep mine down. Along with weekly water changes for a couple months. I assume you wouldn't want the sight of macro algae but I don't mind my tank looking more like a refugium than a display tank.

Old 04/25/2020, 06:32 PM   #6
ConnorG
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nfritz565 View Post
I have a 32 cube and I purchased some gsp, some red macro algae and some chaeto to keep mine down. Along with weekly water changes for a couple months. I assume you wouldn't want the sight of macro algae but I don't mind my tank looking more like a refugium than a display tank.

Iíve considered using a section in the back chamber and adding some chaeto with a small light. However, I am not sure if such a small ball of chaeto will make a difference or if that space would be better put to use housing a bag of purigen or a different type of media.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk