Reef Central Online Community
Marine Depot

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Do It Yourself
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Old 02/13/2013, 10:46 AM   #401
drock59
Premium Member

I ordered a new dry side and it is still loud. I think this has to do with my tank being exceptionally quiet. Sump in garage and a bean animal overflow. Still great pumps.

Current Tank Info: 93g Marineland cube. SPS dominated. Vortech mp40. 2 x AI sol super blues. SRO 2000 int skimmer. Mag 18 return. Korallin 1500 calcium reactor.
drock59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/13/2013, 05:25 PM   #402
redfishblewfish
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by drock59 View Post
I ordered a new dry side and it is still loud. I think this has to do with my tank being exceptionally quiet. Sump in garage and a bean animal overflow. Still great pumps.

You have an MP40. I'm convinced this is a lateral force thing that is causing the noise. Try setting your glass thickness setting to the next thinner glass, and see if that helps.

redfishblewfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/13/2013, 05:54 PM   #403
aharrow
Registered Member

Just an update, I took apart for the fifth time and repressed my bearings to make are they were on all the way.

I also figured out the sequence for washers. The tank side should get a single washer. The rear side should go washer, spring, washer. Hooked back up and is quieter. Not silent like my tunze, but much better. My wife said, that's supposed to be quiet? So I will continue to have my controller turn it off during dinner hours. But it is half the noise level as prior to bearing fix.

"It's easier to ask for forgiveness than permission"

Current Tank Info: 180 gallon starphire custom tank, 3 zone benthic refugium system, royal exclusive alpha 250, Sfiligoi custom fixture t-5, LED combo
aharrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/13/2013, 06:11 PM   #404
coralreefdoc
Moved On

Love/hate relationship, to the maximum !

Fortunately/personally, my love for all the organisms I maintain/propagate alleviates any hard feelings between myself and guests' sense of hearing ...

* There's a reason that letter would've fallen on "deaf ears", Andrew !

coralreefdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/13/2013, 06:34 PM   #405
coralreefdoc
Moved On

In all seriousness, EcoTech Marine, specifically their innovative Vortech pump, has revolutionized this hobby in terms of the crucial water flow aspect ... Allowing many skilled ReefKeepers the ability to keep species never thought possible before, and should be praised for such endeavors !

If anything, the wetside on the MP40s should/needs to be redesigned-reengineered, in order to fully incorporate the shaft onto the end of the outer housing/shell, much like that of the MP10/MP60s !

It is because of this instability, in my experienced/professional opinion, that other secondary noise/inefficiency issues arise, both in the wetside as well as the dryside, ultimately ! I've personally been redesigning a model/replica, incorporating this aspect into the wetside, which Ill be presenting to Tim in the near future ... Keep your fingers crossed that he adopts this new wetside, for inevitable mass production, as it will undoubtedly decrease many of the aforementioned issues

coralreefdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/13/2013, 06:39 PM   #406
Buganddoug
X NJRC Vice President

Quote:
Originally Posted by aharrow View Post
My wife said, that's supposed to be quiet? So I will continue to have my controller turn it off during dinner hours. But it is half the noise level as prior to bearing fix.
Not to rub it in but I am glade mine is very quite.

Current Tank Info: 220 Gallon Heavily stock tank Reef and Fish. 100 gallon sump, ATI Power cone IS Protein skimmer, Warner Warine MR100. 4 AI Hydra 52 HD LEDS running Warner Marine EcoBAK bio pellets,Warner Marine additives
Buganddoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/13/2013, 07:26 PM   #407
coraladdict
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buganddoug View Post
Not to rub it in but I am glade mine is very quite.
I have the mp40,which ones did you use from Boca,can you post the link to the bearings?
Thank you

Current Tank Info: 120g ,mixed reef , Deltec 600 MCE , 2 VorTechs with BB,Tunze osmolator,Diy Nelson reac.Pacific Sun Hyperion 2
coraladdict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/13/2013, 08:53 PM   #408
drock59
Premium Member

Quote:
You have an MP40. I'm convinced this is a lateral force thing that is causing the noise. Try setting your glass thickness setting to the next thinner glass, and see if that helps.
This did help with the noise. Thank you! Will this cause any unnecessary wear on the pump?

Current Tank Info: 93g Marineland cube. SPS dominated. Vortech mp40. 2 x AI sol super blues. SRO 2000 int skimmer. Mag 18 return. Korallin 1500 calcium reactor.
drock59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/13/2013, 09:13 PM   #409
Buganddoug
X NJRC Vice President

http://www.bocabearings.com/productD...px?ItemID=3200
MR607-2RU TH9/C3 Radial Bearings
7 x 19 x 6 Millimeters
Bearing Material Chrome Steel 52100
Ball Material Chrome Steel 52100
Dimension Type
Metric
ID (d) 7
OD (D) 19
Width (B1) 6

Flange OD (D1) 22
Flange Width (Bf1) 1.5
Enclosure # Two Seals
Enclosure Material Rubber Seal
Enclosure Type Contact Seal
Retainer Material Polymite Plastic
ABEC/ISO Rating ABEC#1/ISOP0
Radial Play C3
Lube Kyodo PS2 Grease
RPM Grease (x1000) 33.3
RPM Oil (x1000) 44.6
Dynamic Load (Kgf) 238
Basic Load (Kgf) 91
Working Temp Deg C 121
Weight(g) 7.15

http://www.bocabearings.com/bearing-...19x6-XMR698EPS
X-MR698-EPS Radial Bearings
8 x 19 x 6 Millimeters
Dimension Type Metric
ID (d) 8
OD (D) 19
Width (B1) 6
Enclosure # Two Seals
Enclosure Material Red PTFE Seal
Enclosure Type Removable (S)
Retainer Material Chrome Steel
Radial Play P25
RPM Grease (x1000) 32.4
RPM Oil (x1000) 38.7
Dynamic Load (Kgf) 228
Basic Load (Kgf) 94
Working Temp Deg C 121
Weight(g) 681

Current Tank Info: 220 Gallon Heavily stock tank Reef and Fish. 100 gallon sump, ATI Power cone IS Protein skimmer, Warner Warine MR100. 4 AI Hydra 52 HD LEDS running Warner Marine EcoBAK bio pellets,Warner Marine additives

Last edited by Buganddoug; 02/13/2013 at 09:23 PM.
Old 02/13/2013, 09:39 PM   #410
redfishblewfish
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by drock59 View Post
This did help with the noise. Thank you! Will this cause any unnecessary wear on the pump?

I would surmise that there would be less wear because there is less lateral force on the bearings. You just want to make sure you use the mounting tab with the zip ties to make sure the dry side doesn’t fall off the side of the tank.

Old 02/13/2013, 11:13 PM   #411
babyjess210
Registered Member

I wanted to give my experience with this rebuild. I purchase a used MP40W Gen 2 and notice that the dry side is a little louder than my 6 month old MP40W Ecosmart. I find this fabulous thread and took my dry side apart and the front bearing had a little red film on the bearing and shaft. I order a couple bearings from Amazon and now it is quieter than the Ecosmart.

BTW are you guys using any thread lock on the screw in the center of the magnet??

Here are the bearings from amazon:
S607ZZ Bearing 7x19x6 Stainless Steel Shielded Miniature Ball Bearings VXB Brand
S698ZZ Bearing 8x19x6 Stainless Steel Shielded Miniature Ball Bearings VXB Brand

babyjess210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/14/2013, 08:23 AM   #412
coraladdict
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buganddoug View Post
http://www.bocabearings.com/productD...px?ItemID=3200
MR607-2RU TH9/C3 Radial Bearings
7 x 19 x 6 Millimeters
Dimension Type
Metric
ID (d) 7
OD (D) 19
Width (B1) 6

Flange OD (D1) 22
Flange Width (Bf1) 1.5
Enclosure # Two Seals
Enclosure Material Rubber Seal
Enclosure Type Contact Seal
Retainer Material Polymite Plastic
Radial Play C3
Lube Kyodo PS2 Grease
RPM Grease (x1000) 33.3
RPM Oil (x1000) 44.6
Dynamic Load (Kgf) 238
Basic Load (Kgf) 91
Working Temp Deg C 121
Weight(g) 7.15

http://www.bocabearings.com/bearing-...19x6-XMR698EPS
X-MR698-EPS Radial Bearings
8 x 19 x 6 Millimeters
Dimension Type Metric
ID (d) 8
OD (D) 19
Width (B1) 6
Enclosure # Two Seals
Enclosure Material Red PTFE Seal
Enclosure Type Removable (S)
Retainer Material Chrome Steel
Radial Play P25
RPM Grease (x1000) 32.4
RPM Oil (x1000) 38.7
Dynamic Load (Kgf) 228
Basic Load (Kgf) 94
Working Temp Deg C 121
Weight(g) 681
I've ordered them today ,will keep you posted on this.
Thanks

Current Tank Info: 120g ,mixed reef , Deltec 600 MCE , 2 VorTechs with BB,Tunze osmolator,Diy Nelson reac.Pacific Sun Hyperion 2
Old 02/14/2013, 10:22 AM   #413
Buganddoug
X NJRC Vice President

No problem at all.

Old 02/14/2013, 10:26 AM   #414
dahenley
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by babyjess210 View Post
i wanted to give my experience with this rebuild. I purchase a used mp40w gen 2 and notice that the dry side is a little louder than my 6 month old mp40w ecosmart. I find this fabulous thread and took my dry side apart and the front bearing had a little red film on the bearing and shaft. I order a couple bearings from amazon and now it is quieter than the ecosmart.

Btw are you guys using any thread lock on the screw in the center of the magnet??

Here are the bearings from amazon:
S607zz bearing 7x19x6 stainless steel shielded miniature ball bearings vxb brand
s698zz bearing 8x19x6 stainless steel shielded miniature ball bearings vxb brand
NO THREAD LOCK!
its hard enough without it to remove the screw

240display, reef in progress

Current Tank Info: 240 display, a few frags here and there. lots of fish, and lots of watching. (230 big screen getting re-sealed and going to add to the gallonage) My wife has no clue how addicted i really am.....
dahenley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/16/2013, 12:40 AM   #415
sczlars
Registered Member

great thread; I'm ordering a pair of BOCAs . I recently got a used MP40WES, and while not too noisy, it isn't as quiet as my MP10, and I'm hearing some rattling that makes me thing the bearings are worn.

I noticed today when I had the spacer off, that the magnet-disk on the dry side doesn't turn true; seems like it is wobbling slightly. Anybody else seen this? The unit, when running in my hand, has a slight vibration to it. Maybe I bought a dud.

--Lars

sczlars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/26/2013, 05:34 PM   #416
Dino
Freak of Nature

I think in the next month or so I'm going to try this again. I tried this before a couple years ago and I'm not sure if I followed up in this thread or not.

A couple years ago I ordered two of these exact bearings from boca: SMR147C-2OS #7 NB2 to replace the very noisy ones in my MP10. No issues getting them off or on. For about the first week it was dead silent, then the noise started slowly returning which I compensated for by turning the pump speed down. Until over the course of about 2-3 months it was once again too noisy even with the MP10 turned practically all the way down to live with anymore.

For about the past year the vortech has been living in the drawer. Dug it out today and cleaned it up and think this time I'll try just whatever cheap, steel ball, rubber sealed bearing I can find on Boca and see if they last any longer than the previous ones.

I will love and miss you until the last beat of my heart Harley & Rusty.
Dino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/30/2013, 12:45 AM   #417
flamethis
Registered Member

redfishblewfish- the 687-2RS bearing you linked to on ebay are ABEC 3 if you want to update your post. Haven't had the chance to do the install yet though..

flamethis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/30/2013, 07:31 AM   #418
Buganddoug
X NJRC Vice President

One more thing. The higher the rating on the bearing the harder the material the louder the bearing will be.

Old 04/16/2013, 05:04 PM   #419
coraladdict
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by coraladdict View Post
I've ordered them today ,will keep you posted on this.
Thanks

I have been using these bearings now for about 6 weeks .At the begining they were silent now they are noisy.

Are there any other bearings that will last longer than those posted in my thread?

Old 04/22/2013, 05:55 AM   #420
dannyp1512
Registered Member

hi

will this do the job on my mp10

http://simplybearings.co.uk/shop/p55...duct_info.html

dannyp1512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/28/2013, 06:03 AM   #421
uf_gators
Registered Member

Nice info .... this has me wondering. As a skater back in the day, I wonder if ceramic bearings would be better. Like Bones SuperSwiss bearings... I might grab the old deck out and see if these might be the same size...

Current Tank Info: 40 Breeder
uf_gators is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/28/2013, 09:15 AM   #422
flamron
Professional Stick Gluer

I just bought some sealed bearings off of eBay - they are cheap, but I can replace them every six months for the price I paid and still be money ahead. Mine aren't terribly loud, but they are in the living room. So I'd like to get them a little quieter if possible.

They are the same ones redfishblewfish bought most likely. Abec 3 rated and a ten pack of each size for $17 shipped.

60g cube - Ghost Overflow - ATI 8 bulb dimmable sunpower - Apex - MP10s - Synergy sump
flamron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/28/2013, 10:08 AM   #423
goma
Registered Member

Does anyone have a link for good bearings for MP-10s?

goma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/28/2013, 07:49 PM   #424
Heliman
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sczlars View Post
great thread; I'm ordering a pair of BOCAs . I recently got a used MP40WES, and while not too noisy, it isn't as quiet as my MP10, and I'm hearing some rattling that makes me thing the bearings are worn.

I noticed today when I had the spacer off, that the magnet-disk on the dry side doesn't turn true; seems like it is wobbling slightly. Anybody else seen this? The unit, when running in my hand, has a slight vibration to it. Maybe I bought a dud.

--Lars
On both my MP 40's the magnet disk on the dry side was waaay out of balance. This cannot be good for both the life and the noise of the bearings. I took mine out and balanced it with a balancer that is sold for the model helicopter hobby...used to balance rotating bits on a model heli which MUST be just about perfect. I can honestly say that I cannot hear my MP 40's from 6 foot away....new bearings and balancing totally transformed them.

Heliman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/28/2013, 08:53 PM   #425
redfishblewfish
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heliman View Post
On both my MP 40's the magnet disk on the dry side was waaay out of balance. This cannot be good for both the life and the noise of the bearings. I took mine out and balanced it with a balancer that is sold for the model helicopter hobby...used to balance rotating bits on a model heli which MUST be just about perfect. I can honestly say that I cannot hear my MP 40's from 6 foot away....new bearings and balancing totally transformed them.

Could you give more detail on the one you used…or a link. I googled RC helo balancers and got one for $100US, as well as other “tools” that I could not figure how they would balance a rotor blade.