Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Old 10/29/2020, 12:02 PM   #1
Driftdiver
Registered Member

Smile Problem with outdoor holding tank - Attack of the frogsjj

I have had numerous holding systems outside of my houses over the years. Everything from 100+ tub based curing tanks for live rock sitting on the ground to 40 gallon Breeder full setups to 10 gallon freshwater systems. With exception of the tanks I set up in direct sunlight for experimental reasons, the setups have all been on covered patios in areas that don’t get any direct sunlight . I have never had any issues with animals getting into the tanks until now.

For some reason, the 40 gallon tank, which is up on a stand in the back corner of the covered porch, is irresistible to frogs. Obviously salt water and frogs don’t mix, which means I have now pulled out approximately a dozen dead frogs. Trust me, it’s not fun.

Any ideas why I am suddenly having this problem out of the blue? I always thought the smell of the saltwater deterred animals from getting into the tanks, but that does not seem to be working here. I realize I can just put a mesh over the top, but I am really curious what is causing the problem. Any ideas?

Driftdiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/01/2020, 01:38 PM   #2
billdogg
Registered Member

frogs are stupid?

Sorry, I've got nothing else.

Current Tank Info: 120 mixed reef with 40b sump, RO 150 skimmer, AI Sol Blue x 2, and a 60g Frag Tank with 100g rubbermaid sump. 2 x Kessil A360w lights, BM curve 5 skimmer
billdogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/01/2020, 01:56 PM   #3
Four drachma
Registered Member

Maybe this is a way to kill mosquitoes , have you ever noticed dead larvae in it??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Four drachma is offline   Reply With Quote