Reef Central Online Community
Neptune Systems

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Old 12/16/2009, 09:31 PM   #51
Mordoff
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by krazysvede View Post
Yea the tank is drilled. Its drilled on the bottom in the rear right corner, and on the back in the top left for a return. Both are 1" bulkheads. My firends dad runs a sign shop here in phoenix, so he was able to order all the acrylic I needed.

Nope, MarcoRocks Key Largo; heres a link

http://www.marcorocks.com/index.asp?...ProdID=69&HS=1

the tank was seeded with some Tonga from my nano, you can see it on the left side in the first pics I posted.

Mordoff; Im loving the rock work I really like how open the tank looks/feels. Cant wait to see it with more stuff in it. I just looked at another post you made. You said you thinking about a 20 gal for a sump. Make sure you go 20 long and have slow enough flow + good baffles. I oversized my pump because I wanted to tee it to go to the refugium and my return section is in the middle of the sump and there isnt enough time for microbubbles from the drain and my skimmer to dissapate. I ran into a lot of trouble with microbubbles in my DT. Its still giving me headaches... Here is a pic of what Im talking about.

lol I guess one of these weekends I need to redo the sump.
Oh really? Too much power for the pump? My cousin is going to sell me his Mag5 pump for it. I was thinking about using a 20H but would a 20 long be better?

Mordoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/16/2009, 11:10 PM   #52
DBarsotti
Registered Member

DBarsotti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/16/2009, 11:15 PM   #53
Mordoff
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBarsotti View Post
Awesome tank. How come the photo is so dark?

Old 12/16/2009, 11:50 PM   #54
krazysvede
Registered Member

I started with a Mag 9.5; I don’t remember why I went so big... I know I had a reason when I was planning. The 9.5 even dialed down was way way too much. I was afraid putting so much back pressure on the pump by dialing it back was just going to cause it to wear out quickly. So I traded with a buddy (his Mag 5 wasn’t enough for his 180) The Mag 5 seems perfect and making the switch helped cut back on my micro bubble problem as it halfed the flow through the sump but it still bugs me more than I would like.
I would assume it would be ok to use a regular 20 and not have micro bubble issues if my return chamber was on the far side of my sump instead of the middle. I think personally if I re-did my sump I would go 20 long, it makes sense in my mind that the extra 4 or 6 inches of horizontal space would give the micro bubbles more time to disperse. Either way you go share the results!! I’d love to see what you come up with.

krazysvede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/17/2009, 12:07 AM   #55
DBarsotti
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mordoff View Post
Awesome tank. How come the photo is so dark?
thanks! Ha cause the only camera I have is my phone so that's the best I can do. Doesn't do the tank justice but least you get an idea

Old 12/17/2009, 01:52 AM   #56
fishnut321
Registered Member

wow i need to get a updated pic of mine in so i can play as well. Great looking tanks eveyone!

For those who have tangs in theirs how do you feel they do in the tank and would you have any suggestions for keeping them in these tanks. Im not tang police, but i want to know your experiences with them.

fishnut321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/17/2009, 07:05 AM   #57
username in use
Sciencing Daily

I have a mag 5 as my return and have sump set up as skimmer, fuge, return. My sump is also a 30g so there is a fair amount of horizontal distance between the skimmer and the return, but I dont get any micro bubbles in the display, unless of course I procrastinate and dont top off in time.

"With fronds like these, who needs anemones?" - Albert Einstein

Current Tank Info: multiple nano's sprinkled around the house
username in use is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/17/2009, 08:24 AM   #58
Mordoff
Registered Member

Quote:
thanks! Ha cause the only camera I have is my phone so that's the best I can do. Doesn't do the tank justice but least you get an idea
Oh I see haha. What is the blue covering the rocks? Clove polyps?

Old 12/17/2009, 08:26 AM   #59
Mordoff
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by username in use View Post
I have a mag 5 as my return and have sump set up as skimmer, fuge, return. My sump is also a 30g so there is a fair amount of horizontal distance between the skimmer and the return, but I dont get any micro bubbles in the display, unless of course I procrastinate and dont top off in time.
So do you think I should go with a 20 long or 20 high for my sump? And my LFS was telling me not to buy my cousins mag 5 because its not powerful enough but I think hes just trying to make a sale, any suggestions?

Old 12/17/2009, 08:26 AM   #60
Mordoff
Registered Member

Quote:
I started with a Mag 9.5; I donít remember why I went so big... I know I had a reason when I was planning. The 9.5 even dialed down was way way too much. I was afraid putting so much back pressure on the pump by dialing it back was just going to cause it to wear out quickly. So I traded with a buddy (his Mag 5 wasnít enough for his 180) The Mag 5 seems perfect and making the switch helped cut back on my micro bubble problem as it halfed the flow through the sump but it still bugs me more than I would like.
I would assume it would be ok to use a regular 20 and not have micro bubble issues if my return chamber was on the far side of my sump instead of the middle. I think personally if I re-did my sump I would go 20 long, it makes sense in my mind that the extra 4 or 6 inches of horizontal space would give the micro bubbles more time to disperse. Either way you go share the results!! Iíd love to see what you come up with.
Yeah hopefully I can get it started this weekend. I guess Ill use a 20 long instead of 20 high then.

Old 12/17/2009, 08:48 AM   #61
username in use
Sciencing Daily

I think a mag 5 is sufficient, but you need powerheads. I like to shoot for less than 10x turnover through my sump, and with head loss Im looking at around 350gph I think. I also run it through a 1/2" sea swirl, so the flow gets to every area of the tank, coupled with some powerheads on my sps side, and I get some nice random currents kicking around. Also, as far as sump, always go longer rather than taller, the benefits are two-fold. First, it gives you more time to clear micro bubbles, and Two it gives you more room for equipment when (not if) you add more things.

Old 12/17/2009, 10:07 AM   #62
Mordoff
Registered Member

Quote:
I think a mag 5 is sufficient, but you need powerheads. I like to shoot for less than 10x turnover through my sump, and with head loss Im looking at around 350gph I think. I also run it through a 1/2" sea swirl, so the flow gets to every area of the tank, coupled with some powerheads on my sps side, and I get some nice random currents kicking around. Also, as far as sump, always go longer rather than taller, the benefits are two-fold. First, it gives you more time to clear micro bubbles, and Two it gives you more room for equipment when (not if) you add more things.
I have two powerheads in my tank and a skimmer. I thinks theres plenty enough flow. My acros polyps gently move around which I heard is what they're supposed to do. If anything, I thought I had too much flow but I guess not haha. Also I wanna get an idea of how much Im going to spend on this project. Say I buy the Mag5 for 30, I already have the 20 long, my LFS has overflow boxes for $50, what else do I need and how much will it cost me?

Old 12/17/2009, 10:11 AM   #63
krazysvede
Registered Member

Quote:
The Mag 5 is great and should serve you well as it has me and username above. For flw for the tank I have the Mag 5 as my return that is split into 2 3/4" locline nozzles once in the tank and Im also using 2 Koralia 2's. I do have a bit of a deadspot in the front left of my tank that I have to be careful with or I get masses of beautiful black algea

^^ You beat me to posting. Theres not much else you need besides misc plumbing stuff and maybe a mesh lid to keep any jumpers in. I would be careful with an overflow box. Ive had good luck with the ones with pumps built-in to keep the siphon going. I didnt orignally drill my tank and had an overflow box without the air pump when watertesting my setup. Went to work with the tank running, came home to an empty tank. Thank god it was in the garage or Id be dead!

username in use; How do you like the seaswirl? Ive been thinking about adjusting and adding one to help my dead spot.

Old 12/17/2009, 10:22 AM   #64
Mordoff
Registered Member

Quote:
The Mag 5 is great and should serve you well as it has me and username above. For flw for the tank I have the Mag 5 as my return that is split into 2 3/4" locline nozzles once in the tank and Im also using 2 Koralia 2's. I do have a bit of a deadspot in the front left of my tank that I have to be careful with or I get masses of beautiful black algea

^^ You beat me to posting. Theres not much else you need besides misc plumbing stuff and maybe a mesh lid to keep any jumpers in. I would be careful with an overflow box. Ive had good luck with the ones with pumps built-in to keep the siphon going. I didnt orignally drill my tank and had an overflow box without the air pump when watertesting my setup. Went to work with the tank running, came home to an empty tank. Thank god it was in the garage or Id be dead!

username in use; How do you like the seaswirl? Ive been thinking about adjusting and adding one to help my dead spot.
How much did the locline nozzels cost you? And should I use pvc or just clear tubing?

Old 12/17/2009, 10:29 AM   #65
krazysvede
Registered Member

I think I spent about $15 for all 4 locline parts i needed. I have 2 3" flare nozzles, 1 3/4" y fitting and 1 3/4" NPT Connector.

I used 1 1/4" PVC for a durso, and the rest of my plumbing it 1". I made a connector to go 1/2" to 1" for the Mag5 cuz I couldnt get a brushing that would seal well and I bought a 1'' slip to 3/4'' threaded reducer to go from the 1'' PVC to the 3/4'' locline adapter.

Old 12/17/2009, 10:35 AM   #66
username in use
Sciencing Daily

AS far as tubing goes, if you can get the black flexible, it wont grow algae the way the clear does, and there is a little known fact about the mag pumps, even though the mag5 has a 1/2" outlet, the flow rating is for 3/4" hose. it makes a big difference, I originaly had 1/2 and switched to 3/4 and saw a big improvement. All you need to do is get a 1/2" threaded to 3/4" slip and then get the 3/4" black vinyl tubing and your set.

Old 12/17/2009, 10:39 AM   #67
jer77
Phish Lover

I love breeder tanks. So versatile! I have had many and use a 40b as a fuge currently where I grow out lps and softie frags. I'm thinking of getting another 40b and plumbing it in before the fuge to use for more frags, mostly sps. But the tank would also be good for a gigantea carpet species tank which I would love to have too.

I wouldn't worry about drilling the tank for overflows and returns. I think the breeders are made with non-tempered glass. If you do use an overflow box, don't get a CPR.

A thought on wavemakers instead of a sea swirl, which are great IMO but pricey, SQWD's could be used on the returns cause of the smaller return pumps being used for the breeders.

Nice tanks everyone! Is everyone pretty much using T5's for lighting?

120g 5 Year Old Reef w/ SPS, BTA, Zoos & some Softies. 40g Frag Tank. 40g Sump. Super Reef Octopus XP 3000 External Cone Skimmer. 250W Radiums. TaoTronics LED. PanWorld 200PS w/SQWD
jer77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/17/2009, 10:43 AM   #68
username in use
Sciencing Daily

The reason I like the sea swirl over the SQWD is that it doesnt reduce flow, and it works without any real maintenance forever. I looked at the SQWD's but then I started looking at public aquarium setups and you dont see SQWD's you see sea-swirls, from then I was sold. And a sea-swirl delivers water at many more angles than a SQWD can because it rotates with constant flow.

Old 12/17/2009, 10:44 AM   #69
Mordoff
Registered Member

Quote:
AS far as tubing goes, if you can get the black flexible, it wont grow algae the way the clear does, and there is a little known fact about the mag pumps, even though the mag5 has a 1/2" outlet, the flow rating is for 3/4" hose. it makes a big difference, I originaly had 1/2 and switched to 3/4 and saw a big improvement. All you need to do is get a 1/2" threaded to 3/4" slip and then get the 3/4" black vinyl tubing and your set.
Alright sounds good. Ill try and find some black tubing. Do you know of any websites online where I can just buy all the plumbing stuff I need at once?

Old 12/17/2009, 10:45 AM   #70
username in use
Sciencing Daily

Marine Depot has all your plumbing needs.

Old 12/17/2009, 10:48 AM   #71
Mordoff
Registered Member

Quote:
Marine Depot has all your plumbing needs.
Do you have a link to the 3/4" slip you were talking about? And a link to the black tubing? I cant seem to find it.

Old 12/17/2009, 10:51 AM   #72
krazysvede
Registered Member

Quote:
Do you have a link to the 3/4" slip you were talking about? And a link to the black tubing? I cant seem to find it.
That one you'll probably have to get at a hardware store. I got mine at a lowes. Ill try and find a link so you have a picture.

Old 12/17/2009, 10:57 AM   #73
username in use
Sciencing Daily

Yeah I got the threaded to slip at my local hardware store. check the section with sprinkler supplies.

Old 12/17/2009, 12:21 PM   #74
DBarsotti
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishnut321 View Post
wow i need to get a updated pic of mine in so i can play as well. Great looking tanks eveyone!

For those who have tangs in theirs how do you feel they do in the tank and would you have any suggestions for keeping them in these tanks. Im not tang police, but i want to know your experiences with them.

i keep a very small purple tang, a coral beauty angel and a few chromis.. i feel if you don't have many fish in the tank and and you keep them well fed they do fine. mines been in there for about a year and hes happy as can be.

Quote:
Oh I see haha. What is the blue covering the rocks? Clove polyps?
yeah the blue is cloves polyps gone wild.. they grow like weeds but the sps dont seem to mind them so, oh well ha

Old 12/17/2009, 03:04 PM   #75
Mordoff
Registered Member

Quote:
i keep a very small purple tang, a coral beauty angel and a few chromis.. i feel if you don't have many fish in the tank and and you keep them well fed they do fine. mines been in there for about a year and hes happy as can be.

yeah the blue is cloves polyps gone wild.. they grow like weeds but the sps dont seem to mind them so, oh well ha
haha very cool. do you ever sell any blue cloves? In on socal.