Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Old 12/17/2009, 04:47 PM   #76
DBarsotti
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mordoff View Post
haha very cool. do you ever sell any blue cloves? In on socal.
i've sold them to my LFS, never shipped any, guess i could altho i don't have any mounted on plugs

DBarsotti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/17/2009, 04:59 PM   #77
DBarsotti
Registered Member

heres a better one i thought i'd throw in

Old 12/17/2009, 07:48 PM   #78
greech
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by krazysvede View Post
^^ Greech I love that rockwork!
Thank you, I like yours a lot too. Wish I could have found a few pieces like yours.

Beautiful tank as well DBarsotti!

greech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/17/2009, 09:29 PM   #79
DBarsotti
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by greech View Post
Thank you, I like yours a lot too. Wish I could have found a few pieces like yours.

Beautiful tank as well DBarsotti!
thanks!

Old 12/17/2009, 10:28 PM   #80
asl4me76
Registered Member

Ok, so -- I thought I'd show some photos of my 40gal Breeder. This is photo intensive, so I apologize in advance .. but you'll get the idea.

I also have some growth pictures of one of the acans I got in a group buy from ReefKingdom this past spring. This photo is shortly after I got it.

This is Lenny -- he's a new edition to the tank as of today. As you can see I am going through an algae bloom, but here he is just chilling!

When I was out shopping, I couldn't help but pick this guy up! Tell me whatcha think about him!!!! He's a black and purple looking tube worm.

My duncan and another SPS (the duncan started out as a single head, now has close to 20 on it)

Some Japanese Deep Sea Zoa's (top right) and some other Zoa's:

Another Aussie Acan (believe it is Slithering Snake Eyes) and some Zoo's:

Some new Zoa's from Dallas CFM:

asl4me76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/17/2009, 10:29 PM   #81
asl4me76
Registered Member

Part 2:

Gorgeous acan:

My wife loves zoa's, so she picked out some ...

The news are the ones just to the left of the ricordia/yum with the green centers:

Blue Tip Tenius and unknown SPS (can't think of the name, gotta look it up in my book) along with some Zoa's with some funky tube algae growing on it:

img]http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2541/4158990876_d2cb69a1fa_b.jpg[/img]

Sunset zoa's, some pally's and an SPS (can't think of the name off the top of my head):

Sorry, if I derailed the thread at all .. Just wanted to show case..

Those photos were all taken on the T-Mobile myTouch 3G phone, so those are not D-SLR photos as someone else thought.

Old 12/18/2009, 08:23 AM   #82
Mordoff
Registered Member

Haha no you didnt derail the thread. I love seeing the pictures. Nice tank, thanks.

Mordoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/18/2009, 05:48 PM   #83
butchik
Registered Member

Very nice phots/tanks. Quick question, how are you getting those overflows installed in the tanks? Are they custom? I'm also in the process of getting a 40 breeder and I would like to have an overflow in it as well.

butchik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/18/2009, 06:50 PM   #84
asl4me76
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by butchik View Post
Very nice phots/tanks. Quick question, how are you getting those overflows installed in the tanks? Are they custom? I'm also in the process of getting a 40 breeder and I would like to have an overflow in it as well.
Well, I got the drill bits from my local MAS. I lined it up in the center of the tank and .. drilled some holes. The overflow was made by Trigger Systems. I took some silicone and put it together. Put a 40lb bag of sand on it to get it as tightly in there as I could.

Old 12/30/2009, 11:54 AM   #85
OldNemo
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBarsotti View Post
heres a better one i thought i'd throw in

Nice tank! I am setting up a 40 breeder now as well and want SPS to dominate. What are you using for lighting? MH?

I have a canopy and will be putting on 6x39w T5 Aquaillumination retrofit. I toyed with MH but the evaporation would be much greater and I am limited to only so much room for ATO under the stand with 20g sump.

Thanks

OldNemo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/30/2009, 07:38 PM   #86
jsrnec
Registered Member

This thread is great, I am in the process of building a 40 breeder and this give me tons of ideas.

jsrnec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/30/2009, 10:00 PM   #87
SpencerG
Registered Member

Here's my 40 breeder about three months ago:

Last edited by SpencerG; 12/30/2009 at 10:14 PM.
SpencerG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/31/2009, 09:45 AM   #88
snowman5373
Registered Member

Tagging along. Upgrading to a 40b myself and looking for some rock ideas.

snowman5373 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/02/2010, 11:04 PM   #89
flying_dutchman
Moved On

Very nice, I;m getting a 40br in a month or so, so keep em coming! What light setup are you all using? I guess 1X 250w MH wouldn't give enough coverage?

flying_dutchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/04/2010, 10:52 AM   #90
theyammieguy
Registered Member

Well, I thought I made my mind up on an oceanic 57g but I think I might go with a rimless 40b. It will be a little easier on my wallet and give me almost the same dimensions.

12g JBJ deluxe JBJ viper 70w, maxi jet 900, Koralia nano, two false percs, softies, LPS, and SPS, about 25# LR and 2"-3" SB. Running since 3/22/07. Soon to add sump with skimmer
Click my home page for pictures.

40g breeder upgrade in progress.

Planning a 60g cube FOWLR.
theyammieguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/04/2010, 11:40 AM   #91
mjk0301
Registered Member

One of my favorite threads on here, just got a 40Br for xmas and wating on the lights and other goodies to arrive before posting.

mjk0301 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/04/2010, 02:12 PM   #92
Caden
Registered Member

bump, I want to see more!

Current Tank Info: Only have Dart Frogs at the moment. Chances are, if you like reefs, you will love planted vivariums, and vice versa
Caden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/04/2010, 03:12 PM   #93
herozero
Registered Member.

i love laying low in threads creeping around, but nothing beats being able to join in!

Lots of questions here on drilling the tank. I just ordered some stuff from glass-holes.com to begin my 40br project. I've got a super nano box and two extra 1/2" bulkheads. Plan is to put the overflow dead center, with two return lines on either side pushing back to front with a mag5. I've never drilled a tank before, but from the extensive reading I've done, I think I can pull it off. Helps when the tank was only $35 from craigslist. With an awkward 40g cubish tank already HOB'd to the max, I am more than ready for a sump.

BTW- awesome tanks and pics, keep em coming.

herozero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/04/2010, 05:10 PM   #94
theyammieguy
Registered Member

Would a 700gph overflow from glass overflows and an eheim 1260 pump work good on this tank?

12g JBJ deluxe JBJ viper 70w, maxi jet 900, Koralia nano, two false percs, softies, LPS, and SPS, about 25# LR and 2"-3" SB. Running since 3/22/07. Soon to add sump with skimmer

Old 01/04/2010, 06:03 PM   #95
herozero
Registered Member.

depends on how much flow you want thru your sump. look back to earlier pages, there is talk about moving to a smaller return pump due to too much sump flow. a 700gph kit with a 1 1/2" bulkhead definitely shouldn't get clogged by anything but the largest snails.

herozero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/04/2010, 07:07 PM   #96
theyammieguy
Registered Member

Yup, read it earlier. Mag 5's are what they are using. I don't think they mentioned what there overflow drains are rated at though.

Oh, I'll be using a 40b as a sump/fuge.

Old 01/04/2010, 07:35 PM   #97
fishnut321
Registered Member

dude use a mag 5 i had mine throttled back and it was doing great, but my overflow only handled about 300gph. The mag five wide open is plenty, or if you want to spend more money on a better pump go with the equivalent ehiem. The only reason why you really would need a bigger pump on these tanks if you are running skimmer/reactor/fuge feeds of a manifold.

I cant wait to post the new and updated fishnut321's 40br. Ive had alot of changes, new equipment and aquascaping to show off. Right now everything but the main tank is tore apart because i got fed up with my crappy hang on overflow failing, so while im waiting for my new lifereef overflow im cleaning equipment and re engineering the equipment.

fishnut321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/04/2010, 07:42 PM   #98
theyammieguy
Registered Member

Yall are talking about the danner mag pumps right?
If so, the 5 is rated at 500gph and the eheim 1260 is rated at 635gph. Not much of a difference.

I will have skimmer/fuge/return pump. Like I said, it will be a 40b sump so it will be plenty long and should have good flow with that drain/return combo. Correct?
I will be using a bubble magus NAC6 skimmer, two K3's and probably drill two holes for return flow.

Old 01/06/2010, 09:56 PM   #99
DBarsotti
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldNemo View Post
Nice tank! I am setting up a 40 breeder now as well and want SPS to dominate. What are you using for lighting? MH?

I have a canopy and will be putting on 6x39w T5 Aquaillumination retrofit. I toyed with MH but the evaporation would be much greater and I am limited to only so much room for ATO under the stand with 20g sump.

Thanks
thanks!
my breeder has 2x150wattMH & 4x36" T5's running over it.. the system also includes a 10g sump with PC lighting and a 15g frag tank which has 1x150wattMH & 4x24" T5's.. i run a gravity fed ATO which is plumbed through the wall into the closet where a 5g container resides.

here is the full system..

Old 01/06/2010, 10:02 PM   #100
mjk0301
Registered Member

great set up there, we need to add more to this thread.

mjk0301 is offline   Reply With Quote