Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Reef Fishes
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Old 08/17/2015, 12:29 PM   #3676
Giovanni
AKA Flippa

I have purchased a ton of Fish from LADD. I have lost my share of fish from them also. Even some just a couple days after the 14 days guarantee. Thing is I have been doing this a while and I can keep all but the worst fish alive for a couple weeks.

MY suggestion is take a chance on a dealer, and if they are honest stick with them even if you loose a fish or two at your own expense. We are not buying gold fish from petsmart, wal-mart and the like.

I do prefer WSISUG on anything over $100 though and especially delicate fish. A head on shot on finicky eaters is a must in my book.

Most of My Money I Spent On Whiskey, Women and Reefing, The Rest I Just Waisted!

Current Tank Info: 180 Mixed Reef
Giovanni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/17/2015, 02:04 PM   #3677
Giovanni
AKA Flippa

I just ordered a Red Sea from Michael. Will be here tomorrow. He will go in an established 40g breeder QT. I will be pulling about 50 lbs of live rock from my DT sump and placing it in the QT for it to graze on. I also will wash a big ball of cheato from the DT sump in the QT to put pods and such in there for it. He says they are eating frozen blood worms there so this may be overkill.

Most of My Money I Spent On Whiskey, Women and Reefing, The Rest I Just Waisted!

Old 08/17/2015, 02:14 PM   #3678
Fin Mike
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giovanni View Post
I just ordered a Red Sea from Michael. Will be here tomorrow. He will go in an established 40g breeder QT. I will be pulling about 50 lbs of live rock from my DT sump and placing it in the QT for it to graze on. I also will wash a big ball of cheato from the DT sump in the QT to put pods and such in there for it. He says they are eating frozen blood worms there so this may be overkill.
Let us know how it goes. Have you ordered from him before? His alive arrival only guarantee concerns me greatly. Also, it said that the shipping on it was 18 lbs. Let us know if the package is 18 lbs please.

Current Tank Info: 120 reef
Fin Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/17/2015, 02:25 PM   #3679
Giovanni
AKA Flippa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fin Mike View Post
Let us know how it goes. Have you ordered from him before? His alive arrival only guarantee concerns me greatly. Also, it said that the shipping on it was 18 lbs. Let us know if the package is 18 lbs please.

Never ordered from him before. I requested a photo or two and he sent me a short low quality video he made with his phone. The fish looked good as far as I can tell. Most LFSs only give a warranty to the door so arrive alive seems comparable. This is the first time I have ordered any fish online that did not come from LADD so we will see how it goes. I will keep you posted for sure.

Old 08/17/2015, 03:58 PM   #3680
horseplay
Registered Member

I ordered from petco.com (no longer exists independently) and the fish was shipped from the importer directly. I feel it's the best way to get it. No LFS/Online vendor has the magic power to acclimate the fish better than a hobbyist can (with effort). The fewer the stops the better. Plenty of people buy a eating fish and only to see it perish in their tank. So I think the best way to do it is to get a nice fat strong wild fish in as many stops as possible and leave it alone to adjust.

And no tangs. Regals need to be the dominant fish in the tank (at least at the beginning).

horseplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/17/2015, 06:13 PM   #3681
Giovanni
AKA Flippa

Quote:
The FedEx tracking number says the package is 18lbs.

Old 08/17/2015, 09:31 PM   #3682
ThRoewer
Registered Member

Quote:
Let's be generous and take 4lbs off for the box and say the rest is water. That would make about 6 liter (1.5 gal) of water for the fish to swim in...

Current Tank Info: 200 gal 4 tank system (40x28x24 + 40B + 40B sump tank + 20g refugium) + 30x18x18 mixed reef + 20g East Pacific biotop + 20g FW +...
ThRoewer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/17/2015, 09:34 PM   #3683
Fin Mike
Registered Member

Quote:
Wow. That's two+ gallons of water.

Old 08/18/2015, 01:14 PM   #3684
Giovanni
AKA Flippa

I have received the Red Sea Regal from Michael at NYaquatic.com today. I placed my order late yesterday and Michael was very good to get it out the same day!

The package total package was over 18.4lbs on my digital human scales.
The package weighed 3.4lbs and the water weighted 15.0 lbs. which is about 1.75 gallons of water. This is also looked to be about that much in my bucket.

There is a top down photo of the fish in the shipping bag in a 5 gallon bucket.

There was plenty of water for the fish!

Despite some rough handling by FedEx as evident by damage to the box, the fish arrived in good shape.

I did receive the fish he sent me the short video of. The fish is a little larger than I thought it would be. I approximate it at 5.5 inches. The fish is plump and looks like it has been eating. There was a small amount of feces in the shipping bag but not enough to foul the water. The shipping water did have a slight medicated oder. I am not sure which med though.

The fish seems to be adjusting to the QT well. He is the only fish in the 40G breeder QT. He reacts appropriately to my presence when startled but in not overly shy. It even came up to the phone when I was taking pictures. Respirators are what I would expect from a fish that just shipped and is adjusting to a new environment.

I don't expect the fish to eat this quick but I did placed a piece of nori in a clip for him. He did investigate it but has not eaten any yet. Michael states it was eating frozen blood worms and I will try them late tonight or tomorrow.

Here are a couple photos.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20150818_100418_resized.jpg (21.5 KB, 201 views)
File Type: jpg 20150818_112100_resized.jpg (35.2 KB, 202 views)

Old 08/18/2015, 01:22 PM   #3685
OrionN
Moved on

That is a very nice looking fish

My homepage is my album here at Reef Central

Current Tank Info: Reboot 320 anemones reef. Angels: Yellow Chest Regal(2), Flame (2). Copperband But. Tangs: Yellow, Purple. Wrasse: about 20 wrasses various species. Anemones: Giantea X4 (Breen, Blue, Purple and Multicolors), Haddoni X1 Red, Magnifica X1 Purpletip
OrionN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/18/2015, 01:56 PM   #3686
humaguy
Premium Member

Quote:
I have received the Red Sea Regal from Michael at NYaquatic.com today. I placed my order late yesterday and Michael was very good to get it out the same day!

The package total package was over 18.4lbs on my digital human scales.
The package weighed 3.4lbs and the water weighted 15.0 lbs. which is about 1.75 gallons of water. This is also looked to be about that much in my bucket.

There is a top down photo of the fish in the shipping bag in a 5 gallon bucket.

There was plenty of water for the fish!

Despite some rough handling by FedEx as evident by damage to the box, the fish arrived in good shape.

I did receive the fish he sent me the short video of. The fish is a little larger than I thought it would be. I approximate it at 5.5 inches. The fish is plump and looks like it has been eating. There was a small amount of feces in the shipping bag but not enough to foul the water. The shipping water did have a slight medicated oder. I am not sure which med though.

The fish seems to be adjusting to the QT well. He is the only fish in the 40G breeder QT. He reacts appropriately to my presence when startled but in not overly shy. It even came up to the phone when I was taking pictures. Respirators are what I would expect from a fish that just shipped and is adjusting to a new environment.

I don't expect the fish to eat this quick but I did placed a piece of nori in a clip for him. He did investigate it but has not eaten any yet. Michael states it was eating frozen blood worms and I will try them late tonight or tomorrow.

Here are a couple photos.

That is a beautiful fish!

Michael gets great stuff, best of luck...

Ted

humaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/18/2015, 02:06 PM   #3687
this is me
Registered Member

Looks nice. Hopefully it will fatten up for you.

I also received a replacement fish from Petesfishplace.com today. This time it's a yellow belly. However, it doesn't look to be a fish that's already been eaten. In fact, I think it's very thin. Woohooo! Fun! Now I have two fish that are probably not going to eat!
I'm pretty exhausted from all this to be honest. It reminds me of the mandarin fish I tried to feed without success.
Regardless of what happen to these fish, I probably will not look into a new one any time soon. It would have to be eating at the store/place I bought from in front of my eyes. I really don't care if it's more expensive. Going through all this is stressful!

From the top down in the shipping bag, you can see the caving in of the belly compare to the rest of the body.

Also can see the pinched in belly from the side.

When a man talks dirty to a woman, it's sexual harassment. When a woman talks dirty to a man, it's $4.95 per minute.

Current Tank Info: Miracle 360 gallons
this is me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/18/2015, 02:08 PM   #3688
this is me
Registered Member

How many time do I have to stop by the local grocery store and ask.
"Can I have a clam/mussel/oyster please?"
The store clerk look at me funny and said "just one?"

When a man talks dirty to a woman, it's sexual harassment. When a woman talks dirty to a man, it's $4.95 per minute.

Old 08/18/2015, 05:28 PM   #3689
Fin Mike
Registered Member

"I really don't care if it's more expensive. Going through all this is stressful!"

Dude, I couldn't agree more. It's takes an emotional toll on you. Es no bueno!

Old 08/18/2015, 05:31 PM   #3690
Fin Mike
Registered Member

Giovanni,

What a beauty. So glad it worked out for you......so far. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you. Maybe next time you can go for the centropyge interuptus for a cool $2500

Old 08/18/2015, 05:47 PM   #3691
Giovanni
AKA Flippa

Quote:
Giovanni,

What a beauty. So glad it worked out for you......so far. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you. Maybe next time you can go for the centropyge interuptus for a cool $2500
Thanks but I would not go so far as to say it has worked out. Holding my breath till this fish is eating in my tank!

Old 08/18/2015, 07:21 PM   #3692
skip0211
Registered Member

Throw in a little neck clam on the half shell.. Works every time with Michaels fish... Regals .. Idols.. I've have both from NYA..

Skip

Current Tank Info: 265 Gallon SPS Reef
skip0211 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/19/2015, 10:18 AM   #3693
this is me
Registered Member

Here's a video of the regals as of this morning. I took them out of the refugium and into a separate quarantine tank. This way I can clean up the uneaten food.

On the initial GBR I received two weeks ago, I'm very surprised as to how active it is for a fish they don't eat any this whole time.
The YBR is pretty large and the color is just awesome on it.
I will try some fresh clams and oyster again tonight.

Old 08/19/2015, 05:54 PM   #3694
Giovanni
AKA Flippa

Good news. My RA seems to be looking for food and has started picking at Nori. No real bites yet but seems interested. I put an oyster in but he has not eaten any yet.

Bad news: I see white two white spots on one eye, there is fin twitching and it has started flashing/scraping.

Old 08/19/2015, 08:40 PM   #3695
ThRoewer
Registered Member

Add some rocks to that tank. Regals don't do well in bare tanks.

Current Tank Info: 200 gal 4 tank system (40x28x24 + 40B + 40B sump tank + 20g refugium) + 30x18x18 mixed reef + 20g East Pacific biotop + 20g FW +...
Old 08/20/2015, 02:13 PM   #3696
Fin Mike
Registered Member

Quote:
Good news. My RA seems to be looking for food and has started picking at Nori. No real bites yet but seems interested. I put an oyster in but he has not eaten any yet.

Bad news: I see white two white spots on one eye, there is fin twitching and it has started flashing/scraping.
What is your strategy for dealing with this development?

Old 08/20/2015, 02:21 PM   #3697
Giovanni
AKA Flippa

If the fish's breathing is not overly labored I will ride it out till he is eating. If it starts to deteriorate, I will start a tank transfer. If it starts eating I will go ahead and start tank transfer. I really do not want to start a stressful treatment regimen until it is eating if I can avoid it. I may have no choice. At the moment the fish seems ok but still not eating yet.

Old 08/20/2015, 06:49 PM   #3698
Fin Mike
Registered Member

Quote:
If the fish's breathing is not overly labored I will ride it out till he is eating. If it starts to deteriorate, I will start a tank transfer. If it starts eating I will go ahead and start tank transfer. I really do not want to start a stressful treatment regimen until it is eating if I can avoid it. I may have no choice. At the moment the fish seems ok but still not eating yet.
Good strategy. Good luck! I'll be checking on your progress.

Old 08/20/2015, 09:09 PM   #3699
ThRoewer
Registered Member

FYI: LA just got Maldives regals in.

Old 08/20/2015, 09:54 PM   #3700
Fin Mike
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThRoewer View Post
FYI: LA just got Maldives regals in.
Thanks for the info bud. Time to take another shot! Order placed.