Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Reef Fishes
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Old 09/28/2016, 10:42 AM   #4926
this is me
Registered Member

Ty,
Beautiful tank and angelfish. I really miss my Majestic. It destroyed my aptaisia along with my acans so it had to go. It's a beautiful fish.

When a man talks dirty to a woman, it's sexual harassment. When a woman talks dirty to a man, it's $4.95 per minute.

Current Tank Info: Miracle 360 gallons
this is me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/28/2016, 11:29 AM   #4927
FarmerTy
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by this is me View Post
Ty,
Beautiful tank and angelfish. I really miss my Majestic. It destroyed my aptaisia along with my acans so it had to go. It's a beautiful fish.
Thank you! He's been a good tenant so far but you know how angels are...

Luckily I only really have SPS and a couple of LPS here and there. Zoas and acans are like dessert in this tank.

FarmerTy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/28/2016, 12:09 PM   #4928
FarmerTy
Registered Member

Nice shot I got of him yesterday.

Old 09/28/2016, 12:57 PM   #4929
ThRoewer
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FarmerTy View Post
Nice shot I got of him yesterday.
You need to make sure that he gets enough to eat - he looks pretty skinny.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Current Tank Info: 200 gal 4 tank system (40x28x24 + 40B + 40B sump tank + 20g refugium) + 30x18x18 mixed reef + 20g East Pacific biotop + 20g FW +...
ThRoewer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/28/2016, 01:22 PM   #4930
FarmerTy
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThRoewer View Post
You need to make sure that he gets enough to eat - he looks pretty skinny.

He only accepts pellets right now so it's made it a bit hard. Luckily he started to accept the larger diameter pellets so hopefully he'll start putting on more weight. Also, the hope is he'll see the other angels eating frozen and nori and hopefully he'll feast like them and get just as fat.

Old 09/28/2016, 02:19 PM   #4931
ThRoewer
Registered Member

Pellets is great for fattening Regals.

Current Tank Info: 200 gal 4 tank system (40x28x24 + 40B + 40B sump tank + 20g refugium) + 30x18x18 mixed reef + 20g East Pacific biotop + 20g FW +...
Old 09/28/2016, 02:35 PM   #4932
FarmerTy
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThRoewer View Post
Pellets is great for fattening Regals.
Yeah, he was only accepting the 0.5mm pellets... tiny little things so getting him full was so inefficient.

Now he's readily accepting the 1mm pellets as of 3 days ago so it should go much faster now. It took him almost 3 months to accept the larger pellets.

Old 09/28/2016, 03:19 PM   #4933
this is me
Registered Member

I think as long as the regal angel is eating something or even pecking on something, you have a very good chance that it will need anything you feed with time.

When a man talks dirty to a woman, it's sexual harassment. When a woman talks dirty to a man, it's $4.95 per minute.

Old 09/28/2016, 05:39 PM   #4934
FarmerTy
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by this is me View Post
I think as long as the regal angel is eating something or even pecking on something, you have a very good chance that it will need anything you feed with time.
Makes sense. I was just happy it was eating anything. Even if its brine shrimp and not very nutritious... get something in its belly and then start introducing other foods until you can get it to eat other things.

Have had good success of introducing finicky eaters to other fish and them picking up from the other fish that this mysterious stuff floating in the water is food too!

Old 09/28/2016, 08:49 PM   #4935
OrionN
Moved on

Yes. Feed him every chance you have. With feeding hope he will be fat in no time.

My homepage is my album here at Reef Central

Current Tank Info: Reboot 320 anemones reef. Angels: Yellow Chest Regal(2), Flame (2). Copperband But. Tangs: Yellow, Purple. Wrasse: about 20 wrasses various species. Anemones: Giantea X4 (Breen, Blue, Purple and Multicolors), Haddoni X1 Red, Magnifica X1 Purpletip
OrionN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/28/2016, 09:29 PM   #4936
FarmerTy
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrionN View Post
Yes. Feed him every chance you have. With feeding hope he will be fat in no time.
I'll start frying up his pellets with bacon grease Minh! Get him fat in no time!

Old 10/04/2016, 08:50 AM   #4937
codydemmel4
Registered Member

when you guys are using pellets, which ones do you use and do you personally feed them or use an auto feeder? Also how do you decide on how much to feed? Say, everything they can eat in 1 minute or how do you measure that to make sure you are not over feeding. Also sinking pellets or ones that "Float"

SPS Dominant 180 gallon.

Link to my tank: http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2618245
codydemmel4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/04/2016, 09:03 AM   #4938
this is me
Registered Member

I use Omega One Super Color Pellets. This seems to be the regal favorite types of food.
http://www.omegasea.net/products/nut...ellets-sinking

I also mix it with Omega One Super Color flakes. My male regal do backflips(literally) to get the flake on top of the water.
http://www.omegasea.net/products/nut...r-color-flakes

I also feed them NLS pellets, Formula One, and Formula Two, and this algae pellets food that was supposed to be really good. I throw in a pinch at a time and watch it disappear then throw some more. You will be able to tell when the fish had enough.

These dry food is not their main diet. I feed them dry food every 2-3 days to keep them familiar with the food so that when I'm on vacation, they can survive with an autofeeder.

Old 10/04/2016, 09:37 AM   #4939
FarmerTy
Registered Member

I feed NLS pellets and also their algae pellets. The regal slurps them right up. I use an Eheim autofeeder to feed him throughout the day.

Old 10/04/2016, 01:01 PM   #4940
ThRoewer
Registered Member

My regals are very indiscriminate feeders - they try everything I throw into the tank. So far they haven't refused any pellets or flakes.
In general they are the wildest and least picky eaters of all my fish.

I have been feeding with an Eheim feeder, but stopped it for now while battling an algae outbreak due to a busted RO system and possibly too much food.

Old 10/05/2016, 08:45 AM   #4941
this is me
Registered Member

After much thoughts and watching how the pair behave in my tank, I decided to take a stab at a trio. This will be the final regal I'll add. It's about 3"(I was told) and still have the spot on the dorsal fin.

This one will be arriving tomorrow. Supposedly eating at the store. Will have video document similar to the second I added.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg FullSizeRender.jpg (27.3 KB, 144 views)

Old 10/05/2016, 11:37 AM   #4942
ThRoewer
Registered Member

Looks like one of those Aquatic Collection had recently.

Old 10/05/2016, 01:00 PM   #4943
this is me
Registered Member

Yup, I had good luck with AC. Thanks!

Old 10/05/2016, 02:30 PM   #4944
this is me
Registered Member

After much thoughts and a chat to a good friend, I decided to take a larger misbar yellow belly regal instead of the juvie posted earlier.
My current male is a solid 5.5", my female is ~4.5". The juvie is only 3". I'm afraid the male will bully the 3" to death.

This is my new regal to be arrived tomorrow. I will have to diligently train it to eat as I was told it's currently not eating. It's a good 4.5". It came into the store last Saturday. Better stock up on my live clams and mussels.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg FullSizeRender.jpg (48.5 KB, 132 views)

Old 10/05/2016, 02:58 PM   #4945
Alberth napa
Registered Member

Happy reefing

Alberth napa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/06/2016, 10:39 AM   #4946
alton
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alton View Post
My baby with a couple of his buds today
Not a great picture but quite a bit of growth in 4 months comparing to the Golden Angel.

Golden is in the left corner

Last edited by Dino; 03/30/2018 at 06:23 AM.
alton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/06/2016, 09:27 PM   #4947
danrobberg
Registered Member

Where is the best place to buy a regal from? Looking for a Red Sea. Also I have a qt set up but wondering if I should add some live rock to it for something the regal to pick at. Any thoughts?

danrobberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/06/2016, 09:37 PM   #4948
ThRoewer
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alton View Post
Not a great picture but quite a bit of growth in 4 months comparing to the Golden Angel.

Golden is in the left corner
That's quite a bit of growth. It looks like he almost doubled in size. What do you feed him and how much?

Last edited by Dino; 03/30/2018 at 06:23 AM.
Old 10/06/2016, 09:56 PM   #4949
ThRoewer
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by danrobberg View Post
Where is the best place to buy a regal from? Looking for a Red Sea. Also I have a qt set up but wondering if I should add some live rock to it for something the regal to pick at. Any thoughts?
Any reason why it has to be Red Sea? I actually couldn't find a significant difference in coloration when compared to Indian Ocean (Maldives, Sumatra,...) specimen.
The issue with Red Sea specimen is that they usually come in quite large while Maldives or Sumatra Regals are available in smaller sizes that ship better and adapt easier to a new setting.
The ideal size range is between 2" and 4"

Blue Zoo has them right now (though no guarantee beyond DOA with them).

A better source might be a local store here that often gets Sumatra and Philippine Regals. They also ship.

Here some videos of some of my Sumatra Regal pair that I got there:

Old 10/06/2016, 10:33 PM   #4950
this is me
Registered Member

Here's a video of my new yellow belly received today. Video shows how I air out the bag, drip acclimate, and tank mate acclimate.
I decided to feed it after 6 hours being in the tank and it eats!! Not much but a very good start.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LJKG6eZkEOg