Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Old 01/14/2009, 01:34 PM   #151
mordibv
Registered Member

We are set . He just confirmed with me .
He mentioned something about a Tunze pump 9420.040 . He was going to test but nothing set in stone for the medium model . He is shooting for 800 lph or more . He knows the pump will do 700 lph out the box .

I have no idea shomuchfun about on ur pump retro idea but I love that avatar .
Reminds me of "u stay off that bottle and i'll stay off the throttle ". NOS vs Turbo .

Current Tank Info: No tank ATM
mordibv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/14/2009, 02:37 PM   #152
johnnyblaze313
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by flat broke
You bring up a very valid point about the multiple personalities of the Sicce. But to the best of my knowledge, no one has been able to come up with consitent airflow capability by altering mesh or pinwheels. We know that pinwheels run less air than properly meshed setups, and that the MSX pinwheels have been shown to run a bit more air than the RS ones, but there is a great deal of inconsistency from one mesh job to the next. I only mention that because using the mesh to "tune" the pump to a skimmer body puts a lot of trust and a high expectation on the customer to ensure the product performs as expected.

Out of curiosity, how/where did you get the GPH numbers that accompany the airflow numbers you posted? I'm somewhat surpised that the water throughput increases in a non-linear fashion as the air increases. The numbers you posted would indicate that the Sicce has a better air/water ratio at lower throughput levels. If your GPH/Airflow numbers are accurate that holds some hope that further restriction possibly with a smaller diameter pinwheel/meshwheel could reduce throughput and increase the air/water ratio, making the pump better suited to smaller skimmers.

Chris
I got these numbers with the good ol bucket and stopwatch
I dont see how these #'s are non-linear? Am I thinking this wrong?
The ratio seems to be nearly the same. Fwiw theres a bunch of users thats can get a consistent airflow numbers from mesh. Heck I can look at a mesh wheel and nearly guess what the air is going to be it's all about diameter and nothing else it's not rocket science.

johnnyblaze313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/14/2009, 06:23 PM   #153
flat broke
Registered Member

Divide the average of your airflow numbers by your posted GPH. If the air/water ratio was linear the answer would be the same.

I know there are individuals that can repeat their mesh jobs, but accross the hobby as a whole, numbers from a mesh'd skimmer done by different people vary. If I were a mfg, it'd be too big of a variable for me to hang the reputation of my company on. Nothing against mesh, it's just that if a company is doing R&D to deliver a product that delivers in a repeatable fashion. The subjective nature of mesh installation can't give the repeatability required.

If people buy a skimmer knowing that the performance is contingent upon the quality of a mesh job, that's fine. But I think a lot of people buy based upon mfg claims, and pics/experiences posted online. If they can't duplicate the results observed, they take it to mean they have a bad skimmer; when in fact, they may just have a bad mesh job.

I'm not doggin the MSX so don't worry about that. I just feel that if a company is going to charge hundreds to a thousand dollars for a product, it should work in a repeatable fashion. So if you equip the S1 and S2 with pinwheels to get that repeatability, the design becomes a compromise in some application.

Chris

Current Tank Info: 45 Cad Lights shallow with mixed corals. Reef Breeders LED, SCA 302, WP25, WP10, , AC jr. etc... To think that someone told me this hobby could be kept simple ;)
flat broke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/14/2009, 10:21 PM   #154
mightymizz
Registered Member

So Im confused. Are the newer Tunzes that are coming out only going to be tested on the mediums and larges? I ordered a small body I-tech, but am not sure what pump to get. Id like to get the best reasonably priced pump for this unit. If the Tunzes are going to be tested on the small body, Ill wait for the results. IF not is the DAS pump the best currently?

THanks again!

mightymizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/14/2009, 10:59 PM   #155
Milhouse
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by mightymizz
So Im confused. Are the newer Tunzes that are coming out only going to be tested on the mediums and larges? I ordered a small body I-tech, but am not sure what pump to get. Id like to get the best reasonably priced pump for this unit. If the Tunzes are going to be tested on the small body, Ill wait for the results. IF not is the DAS pump the best currently?

THanks again!
The email that I got recommended either the Sedra 3500 or the Aquabee 2000 for the small. Those are the ones that have been tested on it. Since the Tunzes aren't out, they haven't been tested. I was told that they would make great pumps for the skimmer. But if you are looking at the cheapest pump that would run it well the Sedra seems like the best choice. Just go back a few pages to see pics of a Sedra run Small. Looks pretty good to me.

Milhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/14/2009, 11:27 PM   #156
saltydragon
Registered Member

we need more pics!

saltydragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/15/2009, 12:30 AM   #157
moondoggy4
Registered Member

I believe that the Tunze 9420 should be on the med or maybe the large but they have a 9410 pump that should be great on the small.

moondoggy4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/15/2009, 07:35 AM   #158
mordibv
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by mightymizz

THanks again!
Best bet for a valid answer would be to email John . The Tunze pumps are just in testing stages now .He did mention using a smaller Tunze for the small . I don't think he has the small on hand to test atm .

The Sedra pump is easier to find than the Aquabee unless u want to wait .

Old 01/15/2009, 08:37 AM   #159
karsco
Registered Member

I have been following this thread, and I am currently on the wait list to get one of the small cones as well when the next batch is ready. In speaking with John the best tested pump for the small is the Aquabee. The aquabee can be ordered here http://stores.petorama.net/Detail.bok?no=7

From my correspondance with John, the sedra 3500 also works fine but the Aquabee works better "due to the air to water ratios" that each pump produces.

Scott

karsco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/15/2009, 12:32 PM   #160
mordibv
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by karsco
I have been following this thread, and I am currently on the wait list to get one of the small cones as well when the next batch is ready. In speaking with John the best tested pump for the small is the Aquabee. The aquabee can be ordered here http://stores.petorama.net/Detail.bok?no=7

From my correspondance with John, the sedra 3500 also works fine but the Aquabee works better "due to the air to water ratios" that each pump produces.

Scott
I remember something like that .The Sedra produced microbubbles in the sump . If the sump had baffles it would not be an issue . So one is looking @ 80.00 Sedra or 129 aquabee . It would seem either is fine as leonel04? post indicated he is pretty happy with his Sedra and small body .

Old 01/15/2009, 12:42 PM   #161
SHOmuchFUN
Registered Member

I'm going to be running mine with an Aquabee 2000/1 when my skimmer arrives. I'm on the list to receive one on the next shipment, so I'll be sure to post up my results.

I'll be going from a Tunze 9010 (which in all fairness, has been a great skimmer) so I have high hopes for my I-tech small with 2000/1. If the TOTM of any indication though, I don't think I have anything to worry about

Current Tank Info: Custom 180gal, 6x80w ATI T-5s, (2) Tunze 6025, Vortec MP40w, MSX200 w/ red demon, controlled by AcJR.
SHOmuchFUN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/15/2009, 08:29 PM   #162
hairyman1
Registered Member

I might consider a small with the varible output eheim needlewheel skimmer pump.

hairyman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/15/2009, 09:39 PM   #163
Milhouse
Registered Member

Has anyone heard anything lately on the skimmers? I was told originally that they'd probably be done last week. Then early to mid of this week. I sent an email yesterday inquiring about the status and I haven't heard anything back yet(John's usually pretty quick to answer). I was wondering if anybody on the "small list" has gotten a reply recently? I guess I'm on the "list" since I sent him my shipping info and such. Thanks.

Milhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/15/2009, 09:47 PM   #164
karsco
Registered Member

Milhouse,

In emailing John this week and getting in line for a small cone, he stated that he hoped to have some skimmers finished by late next week. I think with all the good reviews this skimmer is getting he is overwhelmed with the high demand of orders he has recieved...

karsco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/16/2009, 10:25 AM   #165
lpsluver
Registered Member

I spoke with him yesterday and he is overwhelmed. The response is more than he expected. He was originally building for local customers but word got out about the quality and the price.

He said he will have some ready next week. I am in line for a small.

Current Tank Info: What tank?
lpsluver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/16/2009, 11:09 AM   #166
GSMguy
Registered Member

You guys know the builder is posting in this thread right? Why not just PM him to find out when he will have them done?

Current Tank Info: 48"x27"x14" Envision Acrylic rimless, 6x39w ATi Sunpower, Custom ATB Deluxe Skimmer, 4x tunze nano stream,ATB flowstar 1500, ACJR, Tunze osmolator.
GSMguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/16/2009, 11:53 AM   #167
mhurley
RC Staff

Quote:
Originally posted by GSMguy
You guys know the builder is posting in this thread right? Why not just PM him to find out when he will have them done?
Well...let's see....

If said builder is taking PM's about his "business" and answering them, he's violating our User Agreement and subject to being banned for using RC for commercial purposes.
So maybe we shouldn't encourage that.

I'll leave that as a warning to said builder as well.

Current Tank Info: 60G Cube
mhurley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/16/2009, 12:10 PM   #168
SHOmuchFUN
Registered Member

decided to pm MHurley instead....

SHOmuchFUN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/16/2009, 12:29 PM   #169
tufacody
Registered Member

Just curious as to what the I-tech offers over the SWC and Warner Marine. Thanks

tufacody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/16/2009, 12:36 PM   #170
Radar1
Registered Member

None of the SWC or Warren marine cone skimmers would fit in my sump.

Radar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/17/2009, 02:23 PM   #171
mordibv
Registered Member

Saw these pumps . I 'm pretty sure it's the same make .

http://www.saltycritter.com/protein-...n-skimmers.htm

Old 01/17/2009, 04:00 PM   #172
dzhuo
Registered Member

I contacted John yesterday and he got back to me this morning. I am very impressive with how much time he spent answering my question for a single potential user. That puts me one more step toward buying either a medium or large from him.

In the mean time, can some of you guys tell me how quiet is your skimmer? Any more pictures of it operating?

Old 01/17/2009, 04:07 PM   #173
J.R.L.
Moved On

how much does these things cost?

J.R.L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/17/2009, 09:54 PM   #174
Coyle
Coral Samurai

josh, email the owner, he responds quickly and will give you detailed info on the skimmers. ichthyman@ichthythings.com

Coyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/17/2009, 10:10 PM   #175
W Ellis
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by tufacody
Just curious as to what the I-tech offers over the SWC and Warner Marine. Thanks
They will keep a good amount of money in your pocket and they are made in the good ol' USA.