Reef Central Online Community
Champion Lighting

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Old 01/04/2016, 03:06 PM   #2601
Quietman
Registered Member

Ending planning phase of my first reef tank and looking at skimmers. I'm very impressed with the recommendations and loyalty Jeff has collected in his years. I appreciate customer service and a quality product...bonus it's made in US and a small company. And I absolutely do not mind paying more for a quality product and I have no questions this will do the job. But i do have to live with it (well my wife has to live with it and i have to live with her) so all that aside....

A few questions for people who've experienced more than just the Lifereef (I really prefer learning from others experience when possible...i'll learn enough on my own).

I'm looking at 120 gal (possible 180 gal which will mean the 30" vice the 24" i believe). No desire to heavily stock so figure light to moderate - I love open spaces in tanks. Starting with soft/lps but want to graduate to SPS at some point (and want to plan ahead). ZEOvit is likely system although still researching.

- What's the relative noise level of the Lifereef (assuming equivalent pumps - understand pumps are major noise component - thinking of Sicce and running in sump right now)
- Does this run best in sump or external (based on thread I assume it can do either equally well)?
- Odor compared to others?

Thanks

Quietman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/04/2016, 03:23 PM   #2602
Cabo2008
Registered Member

I've run, RO, SCA, GEO, Tunze, and Skimz skimmers. Out of those, the GEO was my favorite but that was a long time ago and on a much larger tank than I'm running today.

Currently I'm running a SVS3-24 from Lifereef and I love it. To try and answer your questions from my point of view.

- What's the relative noise level of the Lifereef (assuming equivalent pumps -understand pumps are major noise component - thinking of Sicce and running in sump right now)
Pretty quiet. Mine's in my living room and I can 't really hear it with the stand closed. It definitely doesn't interrupt movies or anything like that.
- Does this run best in sump or external (based on thread I assume it can do either equally well)? I run mine in my sump, I think they run very well either way though
- Odor compared to others? NONE! Until you open the collection cup.....then it's a different story. Every other skimmer I've had some some level of odor (the Skimz was the worst though).

Old 01/04/2016, 04:49 PM   #2603
Quietman
Registered Member

Thank you for the response. Hearing about no odors just made me very happy. I'll just make sure I clean the cup when the missus is out. Can you tell me how much clearance I need beyond the 24" or 30" to do cleaning?

Quietman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/04/2016, 07:05 PM   #2604
Cabo2008
Registered Member

Well, the collection cup sits about 1.5-2 inches into the neck of the skimmer, so I'd say at least 3-4 inches to make it easier.

Old 01/05/2016, 08:07 AM   #2605
Yogre
Cheesehead Reefer

Something to keep in mind when sizing a Lifereef to run in your stand is that Jeff can make a custom collection cup for you. I wanted to run a 30" in sump in my stand, and provided him the distance from the bottom of my sump to the underside of my tank. The cup he made for me is about an inch shorter than a standard cup, and the skimmer fits perfectly in my stand.

Current Tank Info: 215 gal TBS Reef
Yogre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/06/2016, 10:12 AM   #2606
fftfk
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yogre View Post
Something to keep in mind when sizing a Lifereef to run in your stand is that Jeff can make a custom collection cup for you. I wanted to run a 30" in sump in my stand, and provided him the distance from the bottom of my sump to the underside of my tank. The cup he made for me is about an inch shorter than a standard cup, and the skimmer fits perfectly in my stand.

Jeff did the same for me. Just tell him how much room you have and he can make it fit.

fftfk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/06/2016, 11:13 AM   #2607
cpllongjk
Registered Member

The odor from the skimmer is the worst thing especially if it's in one of your main living spaces. My wife loves my LIFE REEF skimmer so much that when she let me set up my new tank she made sure I kept my LIFEREEF skimmer.

That one feature was enough for her to say "IT's a MUST!"

cpllongjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/06/2016, 11:15 AM   #2608
cpllongjk
Registered Member

I ended up buying the one where you couldn't remove the flange to clean the unit. I'm in the process of cleaning the skimmer right now and it's taking longer than I had hoped. If you're in the market make sure you get a skimmer with a removable top so you can access the inside to clean well.

cpllongjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/06/2016, 11:40 AM   #2609
Cabo2008
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpllongjk View Post
I ended up buying the one where you couldn't remove the flange to clean the unit. I'm in the process of cleaning the skimmer right now and it's taking longer than I had hoped. If you're in the market make sure you get a skimmer with a removable top so you can access the inside to clean well.
Agreed. Being able to take the top off the skimmer chamber is nice.

Old 01/08/2016, 12:24 PM   #2610
Reef_Paddy
Registered Member

While I'm not in he club, yet, I've spoken to Jeff and will be a valid member towards the end of Feb. I see a lot of interesting discussion on pump types. Doing the calculations of cost of electricity (my utility company charges $.18 kwH) the difference on running a DC-9000 v's Mag 18 is about $125 annually. Makes you think about return on investment over time and justification on spending more upfront on a DC pump. Just food for thought...

Looking forward to being a member of the club soon....

Reef_Paddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/08/2016, 12:42 PM   #2611
EvMiBo
VictoriaConcordiaCrescit

The Jebao (now Jecod) can be had for the same or cheaper than the Mag equivalent.

Jecod dct8000 = $85 on amazon right now.
Jecod dct12000 = $120 on amazon right now.

Saving money up front and in the long run. I'm pretty confident that they're running cooler than the Mag's, and they're very quiet.

Old 01/08/2016, 01:33 PM   #2612
jason2459
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvMiBo View Post
The Jebao (now Jecod) can be had for the same or cheaper than the Mag equivalent.

Jecod dct8000 = $85 on amazon right now.
Jecod dct12000 = $120 on amazon right now.

Saving money up front and in the long run. I'm pretty confident that they're running cooler than the Mag's, and they're very quiet.
But can they handle the pressure as well? What kind of head height can they handle?

If I get a different pump for this skimmer I'd want to also match it with my return pump and a third for a spare. I run a mag18 that is pushing ~750gph with ~12' head for my return.

If a waveline or jecod can handle that I'm all ears.

You can check out my parameters at reeftronics dot net website and look for my username.

Current Tank Info: 180g mixed reef w/ a beananimal overflow to a dolomite RRUGF. | 20g long G. Smithii Mantis Tank
jason2459 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/08/2016, 01:56 PM   #2613
AZRippster
Diver & Reef Aquarium Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason2459 View Post
But can they handle the pressure as well? What kind of head height can they handle?

If I get a different pump for this skimmer I'd want to also match it with my return pump and a third for a spare. I run a mag18 that is pushing ~750gph with ~12' head for my return.

I'm very curious about this as well. From the research I've done, DC pumps, short of the Abyzz and RE pumps, don't handle head pressure so well. I was thinking the EcoTech Vectras maybe, but a few small problems have been surfacing as of late with those.

AZRippster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/08/2016, 03:19 PM   #2614
Mr. Comer
Registered Member

My Jecod DCT-6000 arrives today for my svs2-24. Fingers crossed...

Old 01/08/2016, 04:14 PM   #2615
iced98lx
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Comer View Post
My Jecod DCT-6000 arrives today for my svs2-24. Fingers crossed...
I think you'll find it to skim well with that pump, run it wide open.

iced98lx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/08/2016, 04:26 PM   #2616
onoc
Registered Member

hey I have jeff's largest sump that he makes and it has 2 sponges and a blue/white pad does anyone think they are worth it?

onoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/08/2016, 07:14 PM   #2617
jason2459
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZRippster View Post
I'm very curious about this as well. From the research I've done, DC pumps, short of the Abyzz and RE pumps, don't handle head pressure so well. I was thinking the EcoTech Vectras maybe, but a few small problems have been surfacing as of late with those.
If I go DC one of my requirements will be that it can be controlled by my APEX. That excludes the echotechs unfortunately. I do see that Apex is coming out with a return pump at some point.

You can check out my parameters at reeftronics dot net website and look for my username.

Current Tank Info: 180g mixed reef w/ a beananimal overflow to a dolomite RRUGF. | 20g long G. Smithii Mantis Tank
jason2459 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/09/2016, 12:54 AM   #2618
Breadman03
New Old School

Quote:
If I go DC one of my requirements will be that it can be controlled by my APEX. That excludes the echotechs unfortunately. I do see that Apex is coming out with a return pump at some point.
Yep, the COR. They suggested it would be out this year.

Breadman03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/09/2016, 04:58 AM   #2619
jerseypete
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reef_Paddy View Post
While I'm not in he club, yet, I've spoken to Jeff and will be a valid member towards the end of Feb. I see a lot of interesting discussion on pump types. Doing the calculations of cost of electricity (my utility company charges $.18 kwH) the difference on running a DC-9000 v's Mag 18 is about $125 annually. Makes you think about return on investment over time and justification on spending more upfront on a DC pump. Just food for thought...

Looking forward to being a member of the club soon....
Besides the electric savings. The noise was the biggest motivator for me. Tank is in livingroom. Can't even tell anything is running. Dead silent.

jerseypete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/09/2016, 08:08 AM   #2620
MrsReefK
Registered Member

We are not members yet, but we will be Tuesday when our VS3-36 (external) skimmer is delivered. We cannot wait! We will be running it with the Vectra M1. Vectra L1 will be our return/feeding our frag tank.

Lots of good reading here, we will be members within a few days!

MrsReefK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/09/2016, 08:13 AM   #2621
MrsReefK
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsReefK View Post
We are not members yet, but we will be Tuesday when our VS3-36 (external) skimmer is delivered. We cannot wait! We will be running it with the Vectra M1. Vectra L1 will be our return/feeding our frag tank.

Lots of good reading here, we will be members within a few days!

Our lifereef skimmer will be in good company with our custom lifereef sump. Pics to come soon, still building.

MrsReefK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/09/2016, 01:48 PM   #2622
EvMiBo
VictoriaConcordiaCrescit

Quote:

No first hand experience running with that type of head loss. But, literature says the dct8000 has a max head of 14.8 feet, and the dct12000 has a max head of 16.4.

Old 01/13/2016, 12:47 AM   #2623
ERIC85854
Registered Member

Had my new SVS2-24 in sump running for 3 days now on an established 55 gallon tank. Still no foam. Lots of big watery bubbles if I raise the water level into the neck. Should it be taking this long to "break in"?

ERIC85854 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/13/2016, 08:02 AM   #2624
EvMiBo
VictoriaConcordiaCrescit

Yes can take up to a couple weeks. What pump are you using?

Old 01/13/2016, 08:14 AM   #2625
Cabo2008
Registered Member

It took mine 4-5 days to start pulling gunk out of my tank. But when it starts, it's a beast.