Reef Central Online Community
Live Aquaria

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Large Reef Tanks
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Reply
Thread Tools
Old 01/27/2017, 01:24 PM   #476
VanJuKy
Registered Member
 
VanJuKy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 260
Fascinating project! I look forward to watching this one develop!


VanJuKy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/27/2017, 01:50 PM   #477
CrayolaViolence
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 1,867
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirichok View Post
We used lanko 2 part micro mortar water proofing system for concrete k11-228 to waterproof all concrete walls and floor. However we put several coats of fibre resin over the concrete to ensure full waterproof . So in tecnical sense the fibre resin, not the concrete ,that is in contact with water .

So you put a coating of water proofing mortar on the concrete before you applied the fiber resin?


__________________
"The good thing about science is that it's true whether you believe it or not." Neil deGrasse Tyson

Current Tank Info: 90 gallon reef tank
CrayolaViolence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/27/2017, 07:48 PM   #478
sirichok
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 1,168
Artist 's impression of V20 boutique hotel.






sirichok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/27/2017, 07:50 PM   #479
sirichok
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 1,168
Current state of renovation (from rear ) with swimming pool behind the brick wall .




sirichok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/27/2017, 07:51 PM   #480
sirichok
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 1,168
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrayolaViolence View Post
So you put a coating of water proofing mortar on the concrete before you applied the fiber resin?
Yes , that's correct !!!


sirichok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/28/2017, 05:30 AM   #481
sirichok
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 1,168
Quote:
Originally Posted by VanJuKy View Post
Fascinating project! I look forward to watching this one develop!
Thanks for following .


sirichok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/28/2017, 05:59 AM   #482
sirichok
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 1,168
Start work on decking area of the swimming pool .






sirichok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/28/2017, 05:54 PM   #483
sirichok
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 1,168
Two more days before completion of fibre resin coating.




sirichok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/28/2017, 07:46 PM   #484
sirichok
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 1,168
Floor beam for decking area completed.




sirichok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/29/2017, 01:19 AM   #485
OurCoralReef
In Memoriam
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: NY
Posts: 363
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirichok View Post
Artist 's impression of V20 boutique hotel.





Who's car is in the photo


OurCoralReef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/29/2017, 01:55 AM   #486
sirichok
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 1,168
Quote:
Originally Posted by OurCoralReef View Post
Who's car is in the photo
Not mine ! I only have this one




sirichok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/29/2017, 01:56 AM   #487
OurCoralReef
In Memoriam
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: NY
Posts: 363
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirichok View Post
Not mine ! I only have this one





Paint it black and i can see the similarity


OurCoralReef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/29/2017, 02:59 AM   #488
OllieNZ
Registered Member
 
OllieNZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: UK
Posts: 569
What type of resin are you using for the fiberglass?


__________________
"Perhaps it is boredom, not intelligence, that has propelled humans up the evolutionary ladder."
_________

Reefed out
OllieNZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/29/2017, 04:34 AM   #489
sirichok
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 1,168
Quote:
Originally Posted by OllieNZ View Post
What type of resin are you using for the fiberglass?
Epoxy resin ! Very smelly !!


sirichok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/29/2017, 04:42 AM   #490
OllieNZ
Registered Member
 
OllieNZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: UK
Posts: 569
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirichok View Post
Epoxy resin ! Very smelly !!
Are you sure? Epoxy is not particularly smelly and you need chop strand matt with a special binder to work with epoxy. The reason I ask is general purpose polyester resin is not particularly brilliant for long term submerged use (check out some old fiberglass boats) it tends to bubble and delaminate after a few years. If you're using polyester resin it really needs to be an iso/npg blend resin for submerged use.


__________________
"Perhaps it is boredom, not intelligence, that has propelled humans up the evolutionary ladder."
_________

Reefed out
OllieNZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/29/2017, 06:03 AM   #491
Achilles Torben
Registered Member
 
Achilles Torben's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Germany
Posts: 582
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirichok View Post
Not mine ! I only have this one

Only

German car, German equipment for tank. Thanks for supporting German economy.

We need more people like you


Gre Torben

Gesendet mit Tapatalk


Achilles Torben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/29/2017, 06:06 AM   #492
sirichok
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 1,168
Quote:
Originally Posted by OllieNZ View Post
Are you sure? Epoxy is not particularly smelly and you need chop strand matt with a special binder to work with epoxy. The reason I ask is general purpose polyester resin is not particularly brilliant for long term submerged use (check out some old fiberglass boats) it tends to bubble and delaminate after a few years. If you're using polyester resin it really needs to be an iso/npg blend resin for submerged use.

Good point , let me talk to the contractor again and I will let you know. Thanks .


sirichok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/29/2017, 06:09 AM   #493
OllieNZ
Registered Member
 
OllieNZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: UK
Posts: 569
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirichok View Post
Good point , let me talk to the contractor again and I will let you know. Thanks .
No problem.
Addressing this sort of thing now will be much easier than 50,000 liters and 5 years later.


__________________
"Perhaps it is boredom, not intelligence, that has propelled humans up the evolutionary ladder."
_________

Reefed out
OllieNZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/29/2017, 10:12 AM   #494
sirichok
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 1,168
Installing VRV system which is a multi-split type air conditioner that uses variable refrigerant flow control with the ability to maintain individual zone control in each room and floor of a building.








sirichok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/29/2017, 05:50 PM   #495
sirichok
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 1,168
Quote:
Originally Posted by OllieNZ View Post
No problem.
Addressing this sort of thing now will be much easier than 50,000 liters and 5 years later.
Talked with the contractor , they are using polyester gelcoat 9091 mixing with nor kp200 as curing agent in combination with cobalt . Then they apply Saphira Coating Gloss W3665-60 over it . The contractor claimed that gelcoat 9091 is suitable for marine application and in their experience of over 20 years , the fiberglass resin using gelcoat 9091 shows no sign of bubble or delamination . I am not certain about their claim but the specification on the website seems to indicate the marine application usage . However the addition of fiberglass resin is just a precaution as the display tank is already made from marine grade cement with water proofing chemical coating . Thanks for your advise !


This is the specification for gelcoat 9091:

Gelcoat 9091





VIAPAL GRLCOAT 9091

UP-resin based on orthophthalic acid

thixotropic



for good surface hardness



VIAPAL GELCOAT 9091 is a non-accelerated gelcoat polyester resin. Due to its thixotropic quality VIAPAL GELCOAT 9091 can be applied to vertical or tilted surfaces to a thickness of 0.6 mm.

VIAPAL GELCOAT 9091 shows good weather resistance. In addition it exhibits good surface hardness with a great degree of toughness.

VIAPAL GELCOAT 9091 is suitable as gelcoat resin for the manufacture of containers, pipe, boats,sanitary and mould constuctions.

VIAPAL GELCOAT 9091 can be applied by brush, roller or spray gun.

VIAPAL GELCOAT 9091 is adjusted in such a way that the surface exposed to the air remain aways sticky, thus obtainning perfect binding with laminate.



Last edited by sirichok; 01/29/2017 at 06:00 PM.
sirichok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/29/2017, 06:01 PM   #496
sirichok
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 1,168
Quote:
Originally Posted by Achilles Torben View Post
Only

German car, German equipment for tank. Thanks for supporting German economy.

We need more people like you


Gre Torben

Gesendet mit Tapatalk
Still lack German fish ! Any suggestions?


sirichok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/29/2017, 08:56 PM   #497
sirichok
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 1,168
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirichok View Post
Talked with the contractor , they are using polyester gelcoat 9091 mixing with nor kp200 as curing agent in combination with cobalt . Then they apply Saphira Coating Gloss W3665-60 over it . The contractor claimed that gelcoat 9091 is suitable for marine application and in their experience of over 20 years , the fiberglass resin using gelcoat 9091 shows no sign of bubble or delamination . I am not certain about their claim but the specification on the website seems to indicate the marine application usage . However the addition of fiberglass resin is just a precaution as the display tank is already made from marine grade cement with water proofing chemical coating . Thanks for your advise !


This is the specification for gelcoat 9091:

Gelcoat 9091





VIAPAL GRLCOAT 9091

UP-resin based on orthophthalic acid

thixotropic



for good surface hardness



VIAPAL GELCOAT 9091 is a non-accelerated gelcoat polyester resin. Due to its thixotropic quality VIAPAL GELCOAT 9091 can be applied to vertical or tilted surfaces to a thickness of 0.6 mm.

VIAPAL GELCOAT 9091 shows good weather resistance. In addition it exhibits good surface hardness with a great degree of toughness.

VIAPAL GELCOAT 9091 is suitable as gelcoat resin for the manufacture of containers, pipe, boats,sanitary and mould constuctions.

VIAPAL GELCOAT 9091 can be applied by brush, roller or spray gun.

VIAPAL GELCOAT 9091 is adjusted in such a way that the surface exposed to the air remain aways sticky, thus obtainning perfect binding with laminate.
The resin itself is polyester -355 E .


sirichok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/30/2017, 04:43 AM   #498
sirichok
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 1,168
Decking area is now ready for cement !!!







sirichok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/30/2017, 05:57 PM   #499
sirichok
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 1,168
The display tank is now ready for the installation of acrylic panels .










sirichok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/30/2017, 06:25 PM   #500
OurCoralReef
In Memoriam
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: NY
Posts: 363
Now the exciting part


OurCoralReef is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:25 AM.


TapaTalk Enabled

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Powered by Searchlight © 2021 Axivo Inc.
Use of this web site is subject to the terms and conditions described in the user agreement.
Reef CentralTM Reef Central, LLC. Copyright 1999-2014
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.3.0 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2021 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.