Reef Central Online Community
Blue Zoo Aquatics

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Reply
Thread Tools
Old 03/26/2021, 08:55 AM   #1
4nReefer
Registered Member
 
4nReefer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Posts: 68
Return pump

Hi guys, I'm in the process of building a manifold that'll feed my chiller and uv down in the basement. Unless I have to, I'm trying to radiant buying a high end pump. The only pump I can find is the Hydor seltz D (2400). The issue I have with it is that I had one that rusted on me after less than a year. I noticed the rust after running the pump in venegar to clean it. Now I'm not sure if the rust was from the tank or from the venegar. I've since switched to citric acid. My questions are:
1. Have anyone used the Hydor seltz D return pump long term without issues?
2. Would it be strong enough to pump water from the tank to the basement, feeding uv sterilizer and chiller, and back up to the tank? (About 16ft high and 6ft across)
3. Is it better to not take the risk and get a neptune cor-15, since I run the Neptune Systems?
4. Would the Neptune Cor-15 do all the above?
Thanks for your help guys.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk


4nReefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/26/2021, 09:17 AM   #2
Member No. 1
Ver. 2.1
 
Member No. 1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Rehoboth, MA
Posts: 1,750
My chiller is in my basement, I'm running a Pan World/Blue Line 40 HD. Since it's in the basement, what little sound it makes can't be heard upstairs.
It's rated at 790gph @ 0 Feet. I have about a 9-10 foot drop, and with a flow meter, I'm getting about 300gph back to the tank. This works perfectly.
https://www.aquacave.com/blueline-40...pan-world.html


__________________
Pete
"I never make mistakes...
I thought I did once, but I was wrong"

Current Tank Info: In the process - http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2661614
Member No. 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/26/2021, 09:20 AM   #3
billdogg
Registered Member
 
billdogg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Grove City, Ohio
Posts: 10,765
Well, you really don't need to worry about pumping water down to the basement - just the return to the DT. Gravity will be more than happy to provide the flow downward! :-) I use a mag18 to pump water up from the basement fishroom to the DT for water changes so something like that would probably work just fine.

The issue you will have is that your chiller and the uv will almost certainly have much different flow rates so you will need to figure out what is needed for both and go from there. I assume your sump is in the basement? You may find that if you just use a fan to blow across the surface of the sump you don't even need the chiller so you might be able to avoid using it.


__________________
I'll try to be nice if you try to be smarter!
I can't help that I grow older, but you can't make me grow up!

Current Tank Info: 120 mixed reef with 40b sump, RO 150 skimmer, AI Sol Blue x 2, and a 60g Frag Tank with 100g rubbermaid sump. 2 x Kessil A360w lights, BM curve 5 skimmer
billdogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/26/2021, 10:26 AM   #4
4nReefer
Registered Member
 
4nReefer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Posts: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by Member No. 1 View Post
My chiller is in my basement, I'm running a Pan World/Blue Line 40 HD. Since it's in the basement, what little sound it makes can't be heard upstairs.

It's rated at 790gph @ 0 Feet. I have about a 9-10 foot drop, and with a flow meter, I'm getting about 300gph back to the tank. This works perfectly.

https://www.aquacave.com/blueline-40...pan-world.html
Thanks a lot, I just looked into to it. My thing is that I need a pump that'll feed a manifold in the sump upstairs, and the manifold feeds the chiller and uv sterilizer down in the basement. I'm worried that it might not have enough power to push water down and then back up to the sump.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk


4nReefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/26/2021, 10:33 AM   #5
4nReefer
Registered Member
 
4nReefer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Posts: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by billdogg View Post
Well, you really don't need to worry about pumping water down to the basement - just the return to the DT. Gravity will be more than happy to provide the flow downward! :-) I use a mag18 to pump water up from the basement fishroom to the DT for water changes so something like that would probably work just fine.

The issue you will have is that your chiller and the uv will almost certainly have much different flow rates so you will need to figure out what is needed for both and go from there. I assume your sump is in the basement? You may find that if you just use a fan to blow across the surface of the sump you don't even need the chiller so you might be able to avoid using it.
Thanks a lot. That'll have perfect but the sump is upstairs under the tank. My basement is open to the garage and isn't complete, so I didn't want to risk contamination. That being said, I need a pump that can push water down and then back up into the sump. The pump will feed a manifold and with the ball valves on the manifold, I can set the flow rate to fit each equipment. That's the plan so far.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk


4nReefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/26/2021, 04:43 PM   #6
billdogg
Registered Member
 
billdogg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Grove City, Ohio
Posts: 10,765
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4nReefer View Post
Thanks a lot. That'll have perfect but the sump is upstairs under the tank. My basement is open to the garage and isn't complete, so I didn't want to risk contamination. That being said, I need a pump that can push water down and then back up into the sump. The pump will feed a manifold and with the ball valves on the manifold, I can set the flow rate to fit each equipment. That's the plan so far.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
I'm not sure you understand what I'm saying. Once the flow starts from upstairs, it will create a siphon that will reach it's own level most, if not all the way, back to the sump upstairs. It's the same principle as a water level. You need the pump in the basement to help the siphon along a bit so that it becomes a continuous (open) loop with both ends in the sump. You'll have to use a pump designed to be used outside the tank, so something like an Iwaki, little giant, pan world, etc is what I'd be looking for. I'd place it after the uv and chiller to allow it to help pull the water through and back up to the tank. If it's before the two, you will sacrifice a whole lot of it's ability to move water when you dial the flow back through the manifold.

I'd use large enough PVC to allow some of the flow to completely bypass the two so that the pump never runs the risk of cavitation.


__________________
I'll try to be nice if you try to be smarter!
I can't help that I grow older, but you can't make me grow up!

Current Tank Info: 120 mixed reef with 40b sump, RO 150 skimmer, AI Sol Blue x 2, and a 60g Frag Tank with 100g rubbermaid sump. 2 x Kessil A360w lights, BM curve 5 skimmer
billdogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/27/2021, 09:47 AM   #7
4nReefer
Registered Member
 
4nReefer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Posts: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by billdogg View Post
I'm not sure you understand what I'm saying. Once the flow starts from upstairs, it will create a siphon that will reach it's own level most, if not all the way, back to the sump upstairs. It's the same principle as a water level. You need the pump in the basement to help the siphon along a bit so that it becomes a continuous (open) loop with both ends in the sump. You'll have to use a pump designed to be used outside the tank, so something like an Iwaki, little giant, pan world, etc is what I'd be looking for. I'd place it after the uv and chiller to allow it to help pull the water through and back up to the tank. If it's before the two, you will sacrifice a whole lot of it's ability to move water when you dial the flow back through the manifold.

I'd use large enough PVC to allow some of the flow to completely bypass the two so that the pump never runs the risk of cavitation.
Hmm... if I understand stand you right, I basically would need 2 pumps. one to move the water down and another to take the water back up? And I'll need to install the pump that takes the water up after the equipment?

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk


4nReefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/27/2021, 04:13 PM   #8
Vinny Kreyling
Registered Member
 
Vinny Kreyling's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Miller Place, NY
Posts: 7,007
Basically No. Gravity & a siphon will drain the tank to the sump.
You need a pump from the basement up.


__________________
250 gallon mixed reef, 2 Reefbreeder's Photon V 2, Deepwater BLDC 12, DAS EX-3 Skimmer, MTC mini cal, 2-3/4" Sea Swirls, Aquacontroller & 6 Tunze pumps.
Vinny Kreyling is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04/08/2021, 10:25 AM   #9
wilsonreefs
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Jonesboro, Ar
Posts: 283
What these guys are saying is the pump downstairs is pumping water from the sump up to the DT. As the water level rises from this, the excess water will flow into the overflow that is going to the downstairs sump. Gravity takes the excess water to the sump, the pump takes the water up to the DT, and the cycle begins over and over. You need only one pump.


__________________
In wall 240 gallon reef with starfire front, 125 gallon sump, Ca reactor, Kalk reactor, Octoreef 200 skimmer, 2 reeflo pumps moving things around in the display tank.

Current Tank Info: Currently restarting my aquarium from scratch, after being idle for more than 6 years.
wilsonreefs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/08/2021, 10:40 AM   #10
Member No. 1
Ver. 2.1
 
Member No. 1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Rehoboth, MA
Posts: 1,750
The OP has his sump upstairs. So basically it's a closed loop down to the basement thru the UV/Chiller, then return to the upstairs sump.

I use this method to feed my chiller which is downstairs. Works great.


__________________
Pete
"I never make mistakes...
I thought I did once, but I was wrong"

Current Tank Info: In the process - http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2661614
Member No. 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/16/2021, 02:48 PM   #11
4nReefer
Registered Member
 
4nReefer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Posts: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny Kreyling View Post
Basically No. Gravity & a siphon will drain the tank to the sump.
You need a pump from the basement up.
Got it now...thanks. I'll give it a shot.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk


4nReefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/16/2021, 02:49 PM   #12
4nReefer
Registered Member
 
4nReefer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Posts: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilsonreefs View Post
What these guys are saying is the pump downstairs is pumping water from the sump up to the DT. As the water level rises from this, the excess water will flow into the overflow that is going to the downstairs sump. Gravity takes the excess water to the sump, the pump takes the water up to the DT, and the cycle begins over and over. You need only one pump.
The sump is upstairs. I needed to feed the chiller and UV downstairs, but I think I understand what everyone's saying now.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk


4nReefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/16/2021, 02:51 PM   #13
4nReefer
Registered Member
 
4nReefer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Posts: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by Member No. 1 View Post
The OP has his sump upstairs. So basically it's a closed loop down to the basement thru the UV/Chiller, then return to the upstairs sump.



I use this method to feed my chiller which is downstairs. Works great.
Thanks that's exactly what I was trying to explain. How tall is your head pressure and what pump do you use? Thanks.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk


4nReefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:59 PM.


TapaTalk Enabled

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Powered by Searchlight © 2021 Axivo Inc.
Use of this web site is subject to the terms and conditions described in the user agreement.
Reef CentralTM Reef Central, LLC. Copyright 1999-2014
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.3.0 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2021 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.