Reef Central Online Community
Premium Aquatics

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Fish Disease Treatment
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Old 02/03/2014, 03:43 PM   #1
SecretiveFish
Registered Member

Could it be anything but ICK?

I removed all of my fish from my display tanks after a ICK outbreak, put them in a quarantine, and treated everybody with Cupramine at the .5ppm level for the recommended two weeks. Now several weeks later (everybody is still in quarantine), I am seeing small white dots on my melanurus wrasse's pectoral fins.

Can it be anything but ICK? Do I need to treat with Cupramine again? The surviving fish did not appreciate the Cupramine treatment... most had lethargic appetites during treatment.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

SecretiveFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/03/2014, 03:58 PM   #2
Deinonych
Registered Member

Two weeks is typically not long enough to eradicate cryptocaryon. You need to treat for 4 weeks to ensure all parasites have completed their life cycles and are killed by the copper treatment.

Hope is not a strategy.
Display Tank: DSA 105 w/36gal sump/fuge 2x MP40wES PHs 2x Radion Gen2 Apex w/PM2 Fish Corals Rock Sand Water
Deinonych is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/03/2014, 04:07 PM   #3
HumbleFish
Moved On

Quote:
Originally Posted by deinonych View Post
two weeks is typically not long enough to eradicate cryptocaryon. You need to treat for 4 weeks to ensure all parasites have completed their life cycles and are killed by the copper treatment.
+1

HumbleFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/03/2014, 04:18 PM   #4
SecretiveFish
Registered Member

I wish the instructions had mentioned that...

Thanks, I guess I will have to restart the treatment then. Hopefully my poor fish survive it...

Old 02/03/2014, 05:30 PM   #5
Deinonych
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SecretiveFish View Post
I wish the instructions had mentioned that...

Thanks, I guess I will have to restart the treatment then. Hopefully my poor fish survive it...
I know, it's frustrating. The 0.5mg/l dose they recommend is too high and too aggressive, IME. Try dosing at 0.35-0.40 and keep it there for the 4 week period. I also ramp up the dose slowly over 5-7 days to give the fish time to acclimate better.

Hope is not a strategy.
Display Tank: DSA 105 w/36gal sump/fuge 2x MP40wES PHs 2x Radion Gen2 Apex w/PM2 Fish Corals Rock Sand Water
Deinonych is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/03/2014, 06:52 PM   #6
MrTuskfish
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deinonych View Post
I know, it's frustrating. The 0.5mg/l dose they recommend is too high and too aggressive, IME. Try dosing at 0.35-0.40 and keep it there for the 4 week period. I also ramp up the dose slowly over 5-7 days to give the fish time to acclimate better.
This is vital; IMO & IME.

Steve

Current Tank Info: 180, 2-240 FOWLRs, 240 reef
MrTuskfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/03/2014, 06:55 PM   #7
snorvich
Team RC member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrTuskfish View Post
This is vital; IMO & IME.
I agree.

Old 02/11/2014, 03:17 PM   #8
SecretiveFish
Registered Member

Thanks for the all of the feedback. I have re-started treatment as of a few of days ago getting up to the .4mg/l level. I will continue treatment for 30 days.

Please keep your fingers crossed for my fish!

Old 02/11/2014, 05:37 PM   #9
sleepydoc
Registered Member

+1 to the above comments; cupramine is a good drug, but the instructions are poor, IMO.

I think we need a sticky on proper cupramine dosage/usage. Hopefully would prevent problems like this...

Old 03/11/2014, 12:32 PM   #10
SecretiveFish
Registered Member

Friday is 30 days, but there is definitely still something on the pectoral fins of the melanurus wrasse. Apart from one additional loss, everyone else looks great.

It is hard to describe but looks like a bit of opaqueness with small whitish spots.

He moves too fast for me to get a picture to show you, but IMO it does not look like ick. What else could it be that would not be cleared up by copper? He also has been acting strange, like picking fights with every one (goby, hamlet, clownfish pair) and swimming not quite right. Everyone is in a 57g.

What should I do? Any help is greatly appreciated!

Old 03/11/2014, 01:03 PM   #11
snorvich
Team RC member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deinonych View Post
Correct.

snorvich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/11/2014, 01:06 PM   #12
snorvich
Team RC member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepydoc View Post
+1 to the above comments; cupramine is a good drug, but the instructions are poor, IMO.

I think we need a sticky on proper cupramine dosage/usage. Hopefully would prevent problems like this...
We are revising the stickies in several ways and they should be available in one week or less. However, at this point we did not do one for copper because different brands are done in similar but different ways. The instructions above are excellent for that brand of copper.

Old 03/11/2014, 01:06 PM   #13
snorvich
Team RC member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SecretiveFish View Post
Friday is 30 days, but there is definitely still something on the pectoral fins of the melanurus wrasse. Apart from one additional loss, everyone else looks great.

It is hard to describe but looks like a bit of opaqueness with small whitish spots.

He moves too fast for me to get a picture to show you, but IMO it does not look like ick. What else could it be that would not be cleared up by copper? He also has been acting strange, like picking fights with every one (goby, hamlet, clownfish pair) and swimming not quite right. Everyone is in a 57g.

What should I do? Any help is greatly appreciated!
Does this look like lymphocystis?