Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read


User Tag List

Thread Tools
Old 11/11/2020, 07:59 AM   #1
Registered Member
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Toronto, Canada
Posts: 744
End of cycle question

my 32 gallon tank has been cycling for 2 months, it is just finishing up the nitrite cycle, but the nitrite has been hanging at .25 ppm for the last 5 days, its driving me nuts. The ammonia spike ended suddenly the way its supposed to, but I dont know why the nitrite wont come down to zero. I'm really hoping to get some crabs in their soon but I'm getting impatient and starting to think something is wrong. My ammonia level is zero. Any idea's? Thanks

EDIT - i just checked the nitrate which is at 40ppm. Can i consider the tank cycled? Should I do a water change? Should I try adding a few crabs? Thank you.


Last edited by taillonjohn; 11/11/2020 at 08:08 AM.
taillonjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/11/2020, 08:11 AM   #2
Registered Member
kfisc's Avatar
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 1,981
I'd just take a deep breath and wait about a week or two more. The nitrite will come down.

kfisc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11/11/2020, 08:33 AM   #3
Registered Member
Join Date: May 2018
Posts: 8
Could do a little water change now if your nitrates are at 40but you shouldn’t really have nitrite if your nitrates are that high

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

steviej1972 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11/11/2020, 08:39 AM   #4
Sugar Magnolia
Registered Member
Sugar Magnolia's Avatar
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Northern VA
Posts: 17,562
A water change is a good idea, then recheck your levels in a week or so.


The only thing to fear is fear itself....and spiders.
Sugar Magnolia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/11/2020, 10:14 AM   #5
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist
Michael Hoaster's Avatar
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Boulder, CO
Posts: 5,362
I understand your impatience. Two months is a long wait. Do you have sand and rocks to provide surface area for nitrifying bacteria to colonize? If so, you should be fine. I'd still wait for Nitrite to go down to undetectable, and then a large water change to get those Nitrates down. Then 'crab it up' to your heart's content!

As many naturalists and environmentalists have suggested, we should set aside our arrogance,
our desire to conquer and control everything, and walk hand in hand with Mother Nature. -Walter Adey

Current Tank Info: 180g Seagrass Sandbar Lagoon, START DATE November 28, 2018
Michael Hoaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/11/2020, 03:19 PM   #6
Registered Member
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Toronto, Canada
Posts: 744
ok thanks guys. I will be patient ...

taillonjohn is offline   Reply With Quote

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:17 AM.

TapaTalk Enabled

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Powered by Searchlight © 2021 Axivo Inc.
Use of this web site is subject to the terms and conditions described in the user agreement.
Reef CentralTM Reef Central, LLC. Copyright ©1999-2014
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.3.0 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2021 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.