Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Old 07/08/2010, 02:04 PM   #1
THEFOURTHHENRY
Registered Member

new to the hobby and need some suggestions

thank you for looking, i am starting a 75 gallon tank with a 20 long gallon sump, i am brand new to this hobby and i am a little clueless when it come to the equiptment ratings i need for the tank. i basically understand the things i need but dont know what gph's are proper for a 75 gallon tank, or the overflow rating, or gph's for power heads, i have researched those a little bit and i do want to use koralia's. do i need a protein skimmer right away if im not getting coral till later, how man pounds od live sand for the bottom, and how many pounds of live rock is necessary? sorry for all the questions ha, but i really want to get started with this thing. thank you for your time and patience with me, ill post pictures of what the tank looks like empty if you want.

Henry

THEFOURTHHENRY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/08/2010, 02:15 PM   #2
Allmost
Moved On

Hello

honestly, the best you cna do it to read and read and read and when u think u know it all, read more :P haha

you basically will have to decide what you like to keep first, corals ? or fish only ?

what kind of corals ? all these would change what u need !

basically speaking, u need about 1 to 1.5 lbs of Live rock per gallon. 75 + sump volume

sand depends, shallow sand bed can be bout 0.5-1" and u can go for DSB, read on both. 75 lbs of sand will give u about 0.5" in a 75G. get dry sand and wash it and let the live rocks cycle it, u will save alot. u can also go mix of dry rock and live rock for the rocks.

skimmer is not a must, u can leave it till later on, again read, but do not buy anything cheap cause they simply dont work at all !

lighting is the same, depends on what u like to keep.

return pump, you will have better understanding once you decide what u need. and design ure sump.

power heads, again, depends on what u like to keep

if you are new, Id advice you start with a FOWLR, and then add lighting and skimmer and ... as you gain more experience and then move into corals

but remember, cheap means doesnt work. there are no good deals in reef keeping haha, we all have a closet full of equipemtns which didnt work.

Allmost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/08/2010, 02:15 PM   #3
chimmike
oxygen abuser

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/sh....php?t=1031074

Start there!

chimmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/08/2010, 04:35 PM   #4
Sisterlimonpot
R.C. Fraternity President

To Reef Central

I agree that you should start here. In order to help, let us know:

What are you goals? Fish only? Coral?

I would advise against a DSB (deep sand bed) until you completely understand it. Korolia are great power heads for the price. as for GPH it all depends on what you are planning to have in the tank.

I have to disagree about the skimmer. IMO they are a must!! Don’t skimp on a coral life, believe me, you'll regret it. This hobby sucks when you're starting a tank, because there's a lot that you have to get before you even add the water, and patients is another virtue, who wants to look at an empty tank for a month while it cycles? but, trust me it's all worth it.

Good luck.

Dishes are done man!

Current Tank Info: 300 in progress
Sisterlimonpot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/08/2010, 09:20 PM   #5
The Punisher
Registered Member

Patience is key. If you can't afford something now, wait a while until you can. You'll be much happier in this hobby if you do it right first. A skimmer is, IMO, necessary. It may not be needed now but it will be very soon so you might as well have it set up now, it certainly won't hurt. Really, wait until u can set up your tank the way you want to.

Old 07/09/2010, 03:15 AM   #6
King_Richard
Registered Member

A great place to do some research can be found here
http://archive.reefcentral.com/forum...hreadid=102605

Also, as for filtration, this one your gonna have to decide on which route to take. As you may be able to tell already, it's an area of personal preference with really no right or wrong ways to do things. But for me, I like the natural ways since I get to observe thousands of lil critters running around all over the place and every week it seems that I find something new in the tank. This method was also cheap for me.

For gallons per hour (gph) I would aim for atleast a turnover rate of 10. So in your display tank your going to want a pump that's going to give you 750gph. I would go with your return pump being able to pump out this amount at 3 feet up in the air which I would assume is roughly how high your plumbing will be from your sump to the display tank. For your return, sorry I can't remember what the ratings are for plumbing sizes so maybe some one else can help out.

I would look into the "nitrogen cycle", "hair algae", "diatoms", "film algae", "cyano algae" and there's always more but if you get a good understanding of these then you'll be off to a good start.

60g Cube>50g Sump\Cube
Algae Scrubber:) 6" DSB:) Live Rock:) Caulerpa :) and nothing else!
King_Richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/09/2010, 03:33 PM   #7
THEFOURTHHENRY
Registered Member

hey thanks for the advice, im actually going to a bookstore tonight to read up and all that, my head height for the pump should be around 4 feet. im planning on having a fowlr for now with possibly a few easy to keep corals down the road. im very patient with all this, i know you have to be if you want success, ive been staring at a tank in my living room empty of water for almost a month now, cause im saving up for equiptment/ buying it one peice at a time. are there any books you suggest? thanks again for all the advice guys. i bought my tank used and the person who owned it before me didnt know what he was doing/didnt care, and all the equiptment was in terrible shape. ill post pics of how i got it and how it looks now but there is nothing in the tank so it would be kinda boring ha. do you guys know of any aquascaping sites or good ways to aquascape? ive heard of using pvc, and other things, please tell me your opinions. as i dont want my tank cluttered with too much rock and make it look like a wall of rock...

Henry

THEFOURTHHENRY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/10/2010, 05:24 PM   #8
King_Richard
Registered Member

Aquascaping is up to you. Just try to give some crevices/caves for fish and shrimp to hide in.

Pics always help and keep us updated so we can all brainstorm together with ya.

For your pump, I'd go big, I didn't because I thought seahorses were supposed to be in a very low flow, which they are occasionally but now I wish I would've matched up a pump to give a turnover of 20x since you can always dial it back and I hate seeing powerheads in the display tank, but now I'm gonna have to put one in.

60g Cube>50g Sump\Cube
Algae Scrubber:) 6" DSB:) Live Rock:) Caulerpa :) and nothing else!
King_Richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/05/2010, 11:49 AM   #9
reefjunkie42
Wrasse junkie

go with vortechs minimal profile in the tank...

reefjunkie42 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
beginner, new to hobby