Reef Central Online Community
Tampa Bay Saltwater

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Old 12/21/2010, 09:22 AM   #1
percula99
Registered Member

Can you clean a Python - No Spill Clean and Fill?

I have the 50 foot Python for doing water changes, and I need every foot of it. I have been noticing my hose is turning grey inside and I am concerned this might be mould. Could it be that? Do you have any suggestions for cleaning the hose to make it clear again? I rinse the hose with water from my RO unit after every use and store it in a green garbage bag so it gets no light to grow algae, but after a few years of using it it is definitely greying on the inside.

Current Tanks: 180 gallon reef. 270 lbs live rock. SPS, LPS and softies. 3 Kessil A360W-E pendants and 2 Evergrow IT-5080 fixtures.
percula99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/21/2010, 09:24 AM   #2
kpl519
Registered Member

You could try running vinager through the hose. That is the only thing I can think of that would be safe and may dissolve any gunk in the hose.

kpl519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/22/2010, 06:07 AM   #3
percula99
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpl519 View Post
You could try running vinager through the hose. That is the only thing I can think of that would be safe and may dissolve any gunk in the hose.
This is what I was thinking also. I would have to dilute the vinegar 50-50 with water and run it back and forth through the hose. When the hose starts to look clean I would empty it and flush the hose with RO water again.

I have had many hoses over the years and this is the first one this has ever happened to. I have also sent an email to the Python company through their web site. If/when I get an answer I will post it here.

Current Tanks: 180 gallon reef. 270 lbs live rock. SPS, LPS and softies. 3 Kessil A360W-E pendants and 2 Evergrow IT-5080 fixtures.
Old 12/22/2010, 07:39 AM   #4
snulma1
Registered Member

why dilute it? Use it full strength for quicker cleaning

snulma1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/23/2010, 06:07 AM   #5
percula99
Registered Member

There would be a couple of reasons why I would dilute it. Firstly, because whever I soak power heads (or anything else for that matter) I have always diluted vinegar with water. I have read this in the past and always done it. Vinegar is acidic and should be diluted. Secondly, I would not want to risk a reaction between the vinegar and the rubber in the hose. Granted it is only once and it should not break down the rubber on contact, but I would need to swish it back and forth as it is a 50 foot hose. Rinsing it clean with RO water would also be easier.

Old 12/23/2010, 06:13 AM   #6
argi
Everybody Talks

Bleach. Make up a diluted solution of bleach in a 5 gallon bucket. Put a powerhead in there to push water through the python. Circulate it from the bucket through the python then back into the bucket. Let it run for a little while. Drain all the water, flush with hot water and some type of dechlorinator the same way you were running the bleach through it. Then allow to dry. I have done this many times when I was using my python a lot more and it got rid of the algae/mold growing in it.

Keith

"Never become so much of an expert that you stop gaining expertise. View life as a continuous learning experience." Denis Waitley

Last edited by argi; 12/23/2010 at 06:14 AM. Reason: .
argi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/23/2010, 07:30 AM   #7
patsfan1130
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by argi View Post
Bleach. Make up a diluted solution of bleach in a 5 gallon bucket. Put a powerhead in there to push water through the python. Circulate it from the bucket through the python then back into the bucket. Let it run for a little while. Drain all the water, flush with hot water and some type of dechlorinator the same way you were running the bleach through it. Then allow to dry. I have done this many times when I was using my python a lot more and it got rid of the algae/mold growing in it.

Keith
Perfectly stated ^^
I do this all the time as well

Member of the Boston Reefers Society

Current Tank Info: 75g lps, 90g sps, 120g mixed, 180 nem tank, 300g reef, 600g up & coming reef
patsfan1130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/23/2010, 08:41 AM   #8
jdm18honda
Registered Member

you might want ot let the hose dry before you put it away in the bag

Current Tank Info: 110 rimless with 75 gallon sump/refuge and 24 gallon frag tank all custom by reef savvy
jdm18honda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/23/2010, 09:14 AM   #9
percula99
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by argi View Post

Keith
Thanks Keith. That is an excellent explanation of what to do. I just got the following solution from Python. See below. Your description is even more thorough than theirs.

Quote:
We use a gallon of water, a cup of bleach and a little dish soap.
Fill the tubing like you would be emptying your tank. Let set for a while and rinse thoroughly before using in your tank again. It will not remove all of the discoloration, but it will be sterilized.

Python

Last edited by percula99; 12/23/2010 at 09:32 AM.
Old 12/23/2010, 09:55 AM   #10
argi
Everybody Talks

No problem at all. I'm not sure I like the dish soap, but I tend to be over paranoid about soaps and my tank.

"Never become so much of an expert that you stop gaining expertise. View life as a continuous learning experience." Denis Waitley
argi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/24/2010, 06:21 AM   #11
percula99
Registered Member

I used the method described by Argi last night. I ran the bleach solution through a power head and my python for about a half hour last night while I was watching a hockey game. Then I dumped the solution and ran hot water with some dechlorinator in it for about another fifteen minutes. I was pleasantly surprised. The hose is almost completely clear again. And of course, it is sanitized. Thanks Keith, and everyone else who replied.