Reef Central Online Community
Marine Depot

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Old 02/26/2016, 11:35 AM   #2726
huseMN
Registered Member

Any good DC pump recommendations?

If I did go with the svs3-30 What's the harm in oversizing a skimmer that much? Other than waste of electricity?

huseMN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/26/2016, 11:49 AM   #2727
soulpatch
Registered Member

Even if you went with the 30 I would still say to get the flanged neck so you can disassemble for cleaning.

I also dont think you have much harm. The SVS-24 is used for nanos and larger tanks... If it can run on a nano though the 30 can run on your planned tanks.

I have no DC pump recomendations as I still run the mag on it.

Some have bar tabs. I have a coral tab at my LFS. Life goals.
soulpatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/26/2016, 11:54 AM   #2728
Hitch08
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by huseMN View Post

If I did go with the svs3-30 What's the harm in oversizing a skimmer that much? Other than waste of electricity?
I have a 120g DT and a 40g refuge. Jeff strongly suggested the svs3-30 for me. You are pretty much right there.

Old 02/26/2016, 01:01 PM   #2729
EvMiBo
VictoriaConcordiaCrescit

Personally I'd want more than a 30 on 300-350 gallons. I'd start out with a flanged 30 on what you have then get a 12" extension, maybe even more.

I feel like I say it often, but I'm running a jebao dc9000 on a 30" body.

Old 02/26/2016, 01:09 PM   #2730
cpllongjk
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by huseMN View Post

In my experiences when you go with oversized skimmers you will also have foam head collapsing issues. The skimmer will skim for several days out of the month perfectly well then the rest of the time skimmate will collect in the neck of the skimmer. It will appear to not be working but in fact you are still skimming but just in the neck of the skimmer.

For those that like skimmate in their cups get a skimmer for your sized tank. Either way works though.

cpllongjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/26/2016, 02:10 PM   #2731
huseMN
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvMiBo View Post
Personally I'd want more than a 30 on 300-350 gallons. I'd start out with a flanged 30 on what you have then get a 12" extension, maybe even more.

I feel like I say it often, but I'm running a jebao dc9000 on a 30" body.

Are the recommendations that far off(rated 250-400G) or is it just personal preference?

What exactly is the science behind the extensions? Jut more contact time?

I wont be able to extend beyond 30" due to stand above so may just have to go with that.

huseMN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/27/2016, 01:40 AM   #2732
ERIC85854
Registered Member

No need to clean the body. The flange is not needed.

Current Tank Info: 200G (RS XXL 750) Mixed Reef, Kessil AP700 & A360WEx2, T5x4, Vortech MP40, Gyre XF250, Lifereef SVS2-24, Apex Jr, DOS
ERIC85854 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/27/2016, 09:40 AM   #2733
fftfk
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpllongjk View Post
In my experiences when you go with oversized skimmers you will also have foam head collapsing issues. The skimmer will skim for several days out of the month perfectly well then the rest of the time skimmate will collect in the neck of the skimmer. It will appear to not be working but in fact you are still skimming but just in the neck of the skimmer.

For those that like skimmate in their cups get a skimmer for your sized tank. Either way works though.

This is exactly what is going on with my skimmer! Guess it's time for a bigger tank!

fftfk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/27/2016, 10:11 AM   #2734
ERIC85854
Registered Member

Quote:

I have that problem. I think I'll do 15% water changes twice a month instead of every week and see if it makes a difference.

Current Tank Info: 200G (RS XXL 750) Mixed Reef, Kessil AP700 & A360WEx2, T5x4, Vortech MP40, Gyre XF250, Lifereef SVS2-24, Apex Jr, DOS
Old 02/27/2016, 10:17 AM   #2735
cpllongjk
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fftfk View Post
This is exactly what is going on with my skimmer! Guess it's time for a bigger tank!
Nah man there's actually 2 options.

1. Downgrade the skimmer to something more your size. These companies have the size ratings down pat now. I actually just took my LifeReef offline and downsized to a deltec sc 1351. While I loved my LifeReef the noise coming from the venturi was just too much.

2. Upgrade your tank. But believe me when I say this. Sometimes it's not something you would initially mind but when you have to do maintenence on a larger system you might regret it and hate the hobby.

My suggestion is KISS (Keep It Simple Stupid). Only take one what you can handle. If 50 gallons is all you can do right now then stick with it, if you have more time on your hands try something bigger.

In any case, I am just speaking from years of experience from success and failures. I have wasted lots of time and money getting bigger setups only to realize I do not like bigger setups. I don't think I will ever go over 50-60 gallons display.

Old 02/27/2016, 10:23 AM   #2736
BillFW
Registered Member

Quote:

Conversly, an undersized skimmer will be skimming constantly to keep up.

BillFW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/27/2016, 10:26 AM   #2737
cpllongjk
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERIC85854 View Post
I have that problem. I think I'll do 15% water changes twice a month instead of every week and see if it makes a difference.
IMO it wont do much. Your tank was like mine, too small for this skimmer. I tried reducing the pump speed on the DC pump. I did monthly water changes. Whatever I did it didn't matter the skimmate would collect in the neck after a few days of skimming.

In the end I ended up downgrading skimmers. Now, if you plan on upgrading in the next few years I would definitely keep the LifeReef Skimmer. I would estimate the smallest lifereef skimmer needs at least 100-120 gallons to be worth it.

For smaller tanks, there are smaller, quieter, cheaper, and more effective skimmers out there.

Old 02/27/2016, 10:28 AM   #2738
fftfk
Registered Member

Quote:

1. Downgrade the skimmer to something more your size. These companies have the size ratings down pat now. I actually just took my LifeReef offline and downsized to a deltec sc 1351. While I loved my LifeReef the noise coming from the venturi was just too much.

2. Upgrade your tank. But believe me when I say this. Sometimes it's not something you would initially mind but when you have to do maintenence on a larger system you might regret it and hate the hobby.

My suggestion is KISS (Keep It Simple Stupid). Only take one what you can handle. If 50 gallons is all you can do right now then stick with it, if you have more time on your hands try something bigger.

In any case, I am just speaking from years of experience from success and failures. I have wasted lots of time and money getting bigger setups only to realize I do not like bigger setups. I don't think I will ever go over 50-60 gallons display.

Thanks for the info! I was going to reach out to Jeff about possible solutions but I can ask here as well.

Do you think decreasing/increasing the size of the pump would help?

Or perhaps a custom collection cup with a shorter neck in it?

For reference - here is are photos of the skimmer in action:

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1456590386.886753.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1456590399.275559.jpg

I know the second photo shows no action in the neck but that is immediately after a cleaning of the neck. It does collect skimmate in the neck region.

Also - other than the increased cleaning effort is this even a issue?

Old 02/27/2016, 10:28 AM   #2739
cpllongjk
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillFW View Post
Conversly, an undersized skimmer will be skimming constantly to keep up.
I agree. But again in my experience the balance is somewhere in between. I always go a tiny bit above my gallon size. My current tank is 43 total gallons. My skimmer is rated at 79gallons for a high bio load. It is roughly double my total size but I plan on adding a 20-30g frag tank down the line. So that would be perfect.

Old 02/27/2016, 10:32 AM   #2740
cpllongjk
Registered Member

Quote:
Thanks for the info! I was going to reach out to Jeff about possible solutions but I can ask here as well.

Do you think decreasing/increasing the size of the pump would help?

Or perhaps a custom collection cup with a shorter neck in it?

For reference - here is are photos of the skimmer in action:

Attachment 343412

Attachment 343413

I know the second photo shows no action in the neck but that is immediately after a cleaning of the neck. It does collect skimmate in the neck region.

Also - other than the increased cleaning effort is this even a issue?
What is the total display volume and sump volume? How many fish do you have? Corals if so how many and what kind? There are honestly a lot of variables to skimmate but we will try and nail it down.

Honestly I contacted Jeff about the noise of the venturi a few weeks ago. The skimmer was not in my living space before and now it is, so the noise is just too much. His response was, "When I built this skimmer it was the quietest on the market." I was like well, you designed this like 20-30 years ago. In short, the only way for me to reduce noise was to reduce pump speed and also air draw... Something that is actually a bad thing.

Old 02/27/2016, 10:34 AM   #2741
cpllongjk
Registered Member

Guys just keep this in mind. I loved my Lifereef skimmer. I am in no way bashing Jeff's products. He makes a very high quality skimmer. All I am saying is that depending on your needs LifeReef might not be the best option.

Old 02/27/2016, 10:45 AM   #2742
ERIC85854
Registered Member

Quote:

You can also raise the water level in the skimmer if it's oversized.

Old 02/27/2016, 12:37 PM   #2743
ERIC85854
Registered Member

Or carbon dose.

Old 02/27/2016, 02:55 PM   #2744
fftfk
Registered Member

Quote:
What is the total display volume and sump volume? How many fish do you have? Corals if so how many and what kind? There are honestly a lot of variables to skimmate but we will try and nail it down.

Honestly I contacted Jeff about the noise of the venturi a few weeks ago. The skimmer was not in my living space before and now it is, so the noise is just too much. His response was, "When I built this skimmer it was the quietest on the market." I was like well, you designed this like 20-30 years ago. In short, the only way for me to reduce noise was to reduce pump speed and also air draw... Something that is actually a bad thing.
I have the skimmer in my stand in my living room and have no problem with the noise but one person's no problem is another person's too loud.

Old 02/27/2016, 03:49 PM   #2745
Pablos RSM 450
Registered Member

Quote:
I have the skimmer in my stand in my living room and have no problem with the noise but one person's no problem is another person's too loud.
Brother my pill bottle mod has made a world of difference as I was complaining on this thread of the noise and posted video of the noise before and after.

Before
https://youtu.be/2i39VaTQ3WE

After
https://youtu.be/hHjf6lda3y8

BTW the pump had nothing to do with the noise the mag 9.5 is actually quieter than the Jecod but the Jecod makes it skimm more consistent.

Current Tank Info: Red Sea Reefer 450
Pablos RSM 450 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/27/2016, 04:20 PM   #2746
ERIC85854
Registered Member

My overflow is noisier than the skimmer.

Old 02/27/2016, 10:43 PM   #2747
jason2459
Registered Member

Quote:
My overflow is noisier than the skimmer.
You need a new overflow.

You can check out my parameters at reeftronics dot net website and look for my username.

Current Tank Info: 180g mixed reef w/ a beananimal overflow to a dolomite RRUGF. | 20g long G. Smithii Mantis Tank
jason2459 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/28/2016, 12:31 AM   #2748
ERIC85854
Registered Member

That's how that ribbed tubing sounds

Old 02/28/2016, 01:06 PM   #2749
Mr. Comer
Registered Member

I revamped my silencer like Pablo's and its working nicely. It's still not the quietest skimmer I've owned but it's the best skimming.

Old 02/28/2016, 06:25 PM   #2750
Cabo2008
Registered Member

Quote:
You can also raise the water level in the skimmer if it's oversized.
Exactly. If you're collecting a lot of gunk in the neck, just raise your water level. I did it (it does take a few tries to get it just right), but once it's done, it's done. I never have to clean the neck of my skimmer now and the cup collects a ton of nasty stuff (especially when you consider the size of my tank).