Reef Central Online Community
Neptune Systems

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Old 03/16/2020, 05:39 PM   #1
GRVY
Registered Member

Wanting to get a rodi unit

I am getting tired of going down to the local shop and buying water. I want to start making my own. Can anyone recommend me a rodi unit? I currently have a 29 gallon tank, more than likely will add a 40 gallon within the next year. My tap water has pretty high tds at around 410. I am reading stuff about chlorine and chloramine and not sure what unit to get to fit my needs. I want to make sure the end result is 0 tds but also make sure I get ridding of chlorine/chloramine. I would also like to be able to hook up my bathroom sink by unscrewing my aerator and attaching the unit. Any advice or direction is appreciated.

GRVY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/16/2020, 06:10 PM   #2
LQT
Registered Member

Call your municipal water company and find out if they use chlorine or chloramine. That will determine your optimal prefilter set up. As far as hooking it up to your bathroom faucet, I’d recommend that you attach it by using this John Guest fitting on the cold water line in your bathroom sink. It screws in and is not permanent. I’ve tried screwing in an adapter to the bathroom faucet before and it leaks everywhere. Much different from a kitchen faucet adapter which is nice and leak free.

You want the 1/4” x 3/8” x 3/8”

https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/john-...top-valve.html

Deep Blue 57 Edge ATI Acro Garden Build Thread
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?p=25573384#post25573384

Current Tank Info: DeepBlue 57 Edge
LQT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/16/2020, 10:13 PM   #3
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

I like my Spectrapure setup. Good customer and technical service.

Current Tank Info: 180g Seagrass Sandbar Lagoon, START DATE November 28, 2018
Michael Hoaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/17/2020, 06:15 PM   #4
GRVY
Registered Member

Trying to get a hold of the public works department is damn near impossible. I called yesterday and today multiple times and left voicemail both days. Nothing.

Old 03/17/2020, 06:27 PM   #5
LQT
Registered Member

Call the company that you pay for your water. Public works isn’t it. As an example, I live in Fairfield, CT and pay a company called Aquarion (formerly Bridgeport Hydraulic) for my water. I call them for chorine/chloramine treatment information, not the Town of Fairfield Public works department.

Deep Blue 57 Edge ATI Acro Garden Build Thread
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?p=25573384#post25573384

Current Tank Info: DeepBlue 57 Edge
LQT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/18/2020, 01:07 PM   #6
GRVY
Registered Member

Found out is treated with gas chlorine. I only have about 200 bucks to spend on this so I am thinking of getting the brs 4 stage, unless anyone else has a better recommendation.

Old 03/21/2020, 02:50 PM   #7
mann1139
Registered Member

Check used.

Other than pumps, nothing in an ro/di moves, so it doesn't wear down over time (other than filters, obviously)

Spend money on filters that actually do something, not the housings themselves.

mann1139 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/23/2020, 10:59 AM   #8
bblumberg
Registered Member

Also check Air Water Ice. They have good product at good prices. I have 2 of their systems.

Current Tank Info: 150G mixed reef (6x Blue Acro 20K Pro COB LEDs, 4x 80W T5 supplement), 75G corner mixed reef (Radion XR30 G5 Pro), 90G fw Angelfish (CF lighting), 2 x 40 g frag tanks (DIY LED), 150G FW discus (4x 54W T5).
bblumberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/24/2020, 01:15 PM   #9
tom obrecht
Registered Member

Iím personally a Spectrapure guy and have been for many years. Many good companies out there but like mentioned above itís important to know what your dealing with from the source water. Once you know that a quality dealer can recommend the best setup.

Old 03/25/2020, 08:12 AM   #10
cody6766
Super Best Friends!

I've heard good things about Air Water and Ice. Mine is from a company called Abundant Flow. I bought it used 10+ years ago and it's still going strong (with filter/resin changes, of course).

I'm sure any respectable brand will get you what you need. Find one that has the options you like and the price you can pay.

Mine has a garden hose fitting for the inlet. It gives me the flexibility to use it on a sink or shower with a screw-in adapter. I used it in a utility sink in my previous house. Now it's tied to a guest shower. I only fill jugs in sinks or showers/tubs. I've overflowed too many to not do that.

Current Tank Info: Cadlights 60G Arisan II mixed reef with 2x MP40s and 24" ATI
cody6766 is offline   Reply With Quote