Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Anemones & Clownfish
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Old 04/29/2008, 07:21 PM   #1
tipinover
Registered Member

Clowns that don't change sex??

I was told today that there is a species of Clowns that do not change sex. Can this be true?? If so, does anyone know the species of Clowns??? Thanks

Old 04/29/2008, 08:15 PM   #2
elegance coral
They call me EC

That's a new one on me.

Current Tank Info: I'm trying to see how many tanks will fit in my house before the wife loses it.
elegance coral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/29/2008, 10:08 PM   #3
reefman13
Registered Member

Clownfish as well as most spieces of damselfish are hermaphrodites, as in they have the ability to go from sexless juveniles to either male or female.

"One day I will be back in this hobby..." spoken like a true High School student...

Current Tank Info: None for now...for now...
reefman13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/30/2008, 08:16 AM   #4
tipinover
Registered Member

Thanks to both of you. We were in heavy doubt that this could be true but came from what we thought might have been a reliable source! Guess not too reliable!!

Old 04/30/2008, 10:22 PM   #5
FishnWishn
Premium Member

Technically there is a type of clownfish that will not change it's sex and that is a female clownfish. A male can change to female but not the other way around. But as far as a species, clownfish are all Protandrous Hermaphrodites.

FishnWishn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/01/2008, 07:54 AM   #6
tipinover
Registered Member

female clowns

Wow. That is a very interesting way to look at it, so I guess technically it is correct. I will pass this along!!!