Reef Central Online Community
Premium Aquatics

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > West Region-Reef Club Forums > Southern California Reefers
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Old 09/12/2013, 11:47 PM   #326
chad p
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by reelfishy View Post
Does this Sexy Corals have a store front? Just googled them and I only found a website.
Their storefront is called Socal Tropical Fish in Fullerton. I went there a few weeks ago. It's not a bad store I guess. They have quite a bit of frags although to me the variety of SPS frags wasn't that impressive at all. They had quite a few nice designer clowns including midnight clowns etc. Decent variety of fish and acans and stuff like that. Store was pretty cluttered and dirty to be honest but I'd shop there if I lived in the area. It's just that there were piles of dirt and stuff that was swept and never picked up. There was random stuff all over the store like baseball gloves and tools etc. I felt like I was shopping for coral in someone's garage. But the owner greeted me right when I walked in and seemed helpful. If you're in the area I'd recommend dropping in.

I also went to Reef Raft while I was in town. This place is pretty awesome. The guys who worked there were both helpful and kinda cocky at the same time. Not obnoxious or anything. They have TONS of frags. Lots of acans, chalice etc etc. They also have a lot of nice SPS frags. Not a huge selection necessarily but just hundreds of 3/4 to 1" frags. Prices aren't a steal or anything but you can put together a pack of 5 for a decent price. They have pretty much zero fish so if you're looking for new fish for your tank this isn't the place. But if it's a few nice colorful frags you're looking for this place is definitely worth checking out.

The last place I checked out was Discount Tropical Fish in La Habra. The owners are older Asian folks and they were really friendly. Especially the man. They've got a pretty decent selection of fish, some common zoas and some corals too. Nothing rare or exotic here but a nice clean shop.

Old 09/13/2013, 01:56 AM   #327
reelfishy
reelin and dealin

Quote:
Originally Posted by chad p View Post
Their storefront is called Socal Tropical Fish in Fullerton. I went there a few weeks ago. It's not a bad store I guess. They have quite a bit of frags although to me the variety of SPS frags wasn't that impressive at all. They had quite a few nice designer clowns including midnight clowns etc. Decent variety of fish and acans and stuff like that. Store was pretty cluttered and dirty to be honest but I'd shop there if I lived in the area. It's just that there were piles of dirt and stuff that was swept and never picked up. There was random stuff all over the store like baseball gloves and tools etc. I felt like I was shopping for coral in someone's garage. But the owner greeted me right when I walked in and seemed helpful. If you're in the area I'd recommend dropping in.

I also went to Reef Raft while I was in town. This place is pretty awesome. The guys who worked there were both helpful and kinda cocky at the same time. Not obnoxious or anything. They have TONS of frags. Lots of acans, chalice etc etc. They also have a lot of nice SPS frags. Not a huge selection necessarily but just hundreds of 3/4 to 1" frags. Prices aren't a steal or anything but you can put together a pack of 5 for a decent price. They have pretty much zero fish so if you're looking for new fish for your tank this isn't the place. But if it's a few nice colorful frags you're looking for this place is definitely worth checking out.

The last place I checked out was Discount Tropical Fish in La Habra. The owners are older Asian folks and they were really friendly. Especially the man. They've got a pretty decent selection of fish, some common zoas and some corals too. Nothing rare or exotic here but a nice clean shop.
Thanks. I'm actually shopping for "Designer" clowns. What were the prices like at socal tropicals?

Old 09/18/2013, 01:41 PM   #328
rito
Registered Member

When I'm looking for frags it's got to be Reef Raft in Garden Grove. SeaSide Tropical fish in Huntington Beach always has plenty of fish and inverts to choose from. Brian at Pacific Reef in Fountain Valley has been very helpful in getting me back into the hobby. His knowledge and information without pressure to buy is very much appreciated.

rito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/26/2013, 12:59 AM   #329
jimnyo
Registered Member

ocean marine sales in glendora

+1 on this store. i discovered them this summer when i started a pico reef jar. the owners are a husband and wife, willy and sonya, and super sweet. i don't think they have much detailed pico experience, but then again neither do i. they seem pretty knowledgeable about everything else, though and my kids love walking thru the store looking at the tanks. i couldn't have started my jar w/o their help and i LOVE that they are right in my town! tell them yo sent you!

jimnyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/01/2013, 04:56 PM   #330
ezcompany
Registered Member

i'm looking for a mystery wrasse thats not gonna cost me an arm and a leg. any tips?

Current Tank Info: IM40
ezcompany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/01/2013, 05:47 PM   #331
reelfishy
reelin and dealin

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezcompany View Post
i'm looking for a mystery wrasse thats not gonna cost me an arm and a leg. any tips?
I saw one at Rainbow in Arleta a few weeks back for $49.99. Best price I've seen for Mystery.

Old 10/01/2013, 07:44 PM   #332
SantaMonica
Registered Member

Still nothing new in West LA, I guess.

Old 10/02/2013, 12:05 PM   #333
Percher
Registered Member

I didn't see any mention of this anywhere so I thought I'd bring it up.

Pacific Reef in Fountain Valley is shutting down. They are having 50% off everything in the store. Some stuff is discounted even more (I got 3 filter socks for $10).

Percher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/02/2013, 12:17 PM   #334
reelfishy
reelin and dealin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Percher View Post
I didn't see any mention of this anywhere so I thought I'd bring it up.

Pacific Reef in Fountain Valley is shutting down. They are having 50% off everything in the store. Some stuff is discounted even more (I got 3 filter socks for $10).
You could've posted this yesterday, ya know. JK. I drove all the way down to FV to stop by Tong's. Oh man... It was a journey.

Old 10/02/2013, 10:16 PM   #335
SantaMonica
Registered Member

I must say, Tong's is my fav... a long drive though. It's like a vacation

SantaMonica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/02/2013, 10:29 PM   #336
reelfishy
reelin and dealin

Tong's was cool.. My favorites are Vivid, SPS Corals and Rainbow.

Old 10/03/2013, 03:31 PM   #337
Percher
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by reelfishy View Post
You could've posted this yesterday, ya know. JK. I drove all the way down to FV to stop by Tong's. Oh man... It was a journey.
I'm sorry about that. I happened on it while going down to get some RODI.

Old 10/03/2013, 04:16 PM   #338
ezcompany
Registered Member

thanks for the tips. this is kinda ot but anyone know where they sell fancy guppies? looking for atfg ones specifically.

Current Tank Info: IM40
ezcompany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/04/2013, 05:55 PM   #339
Percher
Registered Member

Better wiring options? (LED floodlights)

nvm

Last edited by Percher; 10/04/2013 at 06:12 PM. Reason: posted in wrong area, my bad.
Old 10/04/2013, 05:59 PM   #340
gregrocks79
Less talk, more rock!

I am in between Vivid aquariums and aquarium city. 2 great places!

Current Tank Info: 25G Innovative Marine Fusion Lagoon - Vortech MP10QD - Vortech Radion XR15 Pro - 10g ATO - IM Desktop Skimmer / Reactor
gregrocks79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/21/2013, 08:23 PM   #341
rroselavy
Premium Member

I've been to Vivid many times. Prices seem average to high, but the store is clean and they know what they are doing. It has been my go-to store for the first tank.

Now I am branching out for my second. Went to Rainbow Aquarium and Pond in Arleta. Much closer to me. Nice store. Fish and coral tanks seemed clean. They had decent prices on salt buckets. Other drygood pricing was pretty typical for LFS.

I then went to SPS Corals in La Cañada-Flintridge. Small, polished store that is packed with hand selected dry goods and equipment. Definitely not an old-school store. Proprietor's Dad (Norman?) was working the store, setting back up a few tanks after the RAP weekend. He claimed that they will match internet pricing. Said it three times. The frag tanks were pretty empty, and what was left did not look that great - but I will definitely be stopping back there once they rebuild the livestock inventory.

Current Tank Info: Reefer 250, Rossmont MX2600s, 24" 6x24w ATI Sunpower
rroselavy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/29/2013, 01:14 AM   #342
Roger30
Registered Member

Vivid Aquarium is magical, started my tank after I walked it. Rainbow in Aleta is my second choice, great prices!

Roger30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/29/2013, 02:08 PM   #343
nikecivic
Registered Member

Tat's Tropical Illusion in Ventura closed down but the Thousand Oaks location is still open. Only option in Ventura is Extreme Marine.

----------------------

Current Tank Info: 180 Glass Tank (6'x2'x2') with a Bubble King Mini 160 (on the second Red Dragon pump), Korallin 1502, Apex w/WXM, Ecotech Radion G1 w/TIR lenses, (2) Ecotech MP40w (one w/ES upgrade) w/Battery Backup, (2) Jebao WP25, Jebao DC12000, 55g acrylic sump
nikecivic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/06/2013, 01:31 PM   #344
Crusty Old Shellback
MASVC OG

Now that Tat's has closed down, I'll have to make the drive out to Rainbow Pets. I always seem to get into trouble when I go there just to look. Great fish, great prices and great people.

Best quote ever!
"This is a hobby for God sakes and so many people get so uptite. A "hobby" so it should be fun and not a cause to worry or go broke." Paul B

Current Tank Info: Tankless for a while. RIP my 8+ yr old pair of Naso tangs, 4 + yr old Moorish Idol
Crusty Old Shellback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/17/2013, 05:26 PM   #345
Lurking
SCRK Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SantaMonica View Post
Still nothing new in West LA, I guess.
We should open one and make a killing lol. Honestly ever since Reef Hot Spot closed down the west side has been lacking. The Aquarium and Apex in culver are lacking.

Lurking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/23/2013, 10:29 PM   #346
Duality
Registered Member

Went by ocean marine sales in Glendora today. It's a really nice store. Talked with the owners for a few minutes after they closed and they were really nice and friendly. A+ for this shop.

Duality is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12/08/2013, 12:44 PM   #347
bnaef17
Registered Member

Hi all. Hoping for quick response. Does Capistrano Reef still have a retail store? I can't seem to find the new location info anywhere. Passing through the area today. Thanks for the help.

bnaef17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/08/2013, 04:20 PM   #348
SantaMonica
Registered Member

Quote:
The Aquarium and Apex in culver are lacking.
At least Aquarium improved a lot from 2008. So CC has something.

Here in SM, the long-time store on Wilshire and 7th (?) closed after 20+ years, and the short-lived store on Pico (at two different places) closed. So that leaves Nature on SM blvd which is almost all FW (I hear it is the go-to place for planted tanks), and Medusa which got rid of all their SW fish and charge 3X market price for corals.

So currently there is not a single place on the West Side to buy corals.

SantaMonica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/01/2014, 01:02 PM   #349
dlai531
Registered Member

Which lfs has the largest selection of fish? Looking for some Anthias specifically and the ones if been to dont have any

dlai531 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/02/2014, 06:16 PM   #350
BeanMachine
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnaef17 View Post
Hi all. Hoping for quick response. Does Capistrano Reef still have a retail store? I can't seem to find the new location info anywhere. Passing through the area today. Thanks for the help.
Last I heard they were moving to Huntington Beach but not sure if that happened or is still in the process?