Reef Central Online Community
Tunze USA

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Fish Only & Aggressive Tanks
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Old 09/25/2015, 11:05 AM   #551
NarakuAulonocar
Registered Member

This is my opinion but:

1) I think adding any fast eater is going to cause competition. I believe that the reason it gave up was because the damsel and the other fast eating butterflies stressed it. Considering that we don't know if he swallowed any food based on the video. It might have taken him a lot of courage to pick at the clam shell, and when it couldn't even really swallow anything, it didn't feel that it was worth the effort to pick at the shell.

2) I think removing all fish might also be a problem because it may feel stressed by itself. IME, butterflyfish eat better when there are other butterflyfish around. So I think adding another slow eating butterfly is the way to go. But I think keeping it by itself is better than with fast eaters if another slow eating butterflyfish is not an option.

3) when a fish is stressed out, I find that doing 100% water changes can often cause them to perk up. Of course you don't want to stress them out either so I would not use a net. Instead, I would use a small tub and catch the fish, while changing the whole tank.

Did you check the ammonia and nitrates recently? I suspect that with all the heavy feeding, the water quality went down along the line.

NarakuAulonocar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/25/2015, 09:13 PM   #552
tsunade
Registered Member

This is so amazing! I love butterflies but I seem do not have much luck with them. Fragile beauties

tsunade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/08/2015, 01:56 PM   #553
caribfan
Registered Member

Quick little update.

Tomorrow marks three months of captivity with my Arabian Butterfly.

The good news is, the sore on the pelvic fin appears to have gone away.

The bad news is, this fish is in nowhere near the condition it was in a month ago. It constantly swims in circles in the quarantine tank and I almost never see it eat any more. It's color has also darkened.

I'm really at a loss as to what I should do next. I think the process of me treating it with two different antibiotics, performing several freshwater dips, treating it with Epsom Salt and removing some of the tank mates has caused this fish to have extreme anxiety and distrust of me.

I have not once see any evidence of parasitic infection and am tempted to add it to my DT in hopes that it may mellow out in the presence of other butterflies.

I have never added a fish that hasn't been treated with cupramine to that tank though and am extremely concerned as to what might happen.

I would welcome opinions, I'm concerned that if I continue on this path, the fish won't be around much longer.

Current Tank Info:
50 Breeder Quarantine Tank, 240 Miracles Finally up and running, 29 Biocube - AI Nano
caribfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/08/2015, 02:02 PM   #554
pinnatus
RIP Ludinano

I'd put it in the display tank. The surroundings will be much more comfortable and what the fish is used to.

Current Tank Info: 240 gal Fish-Only, 13-gal w/ clowns
pinnatus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10/08/2015, 03:19 PM   #555
caribfan
Registered Member

So that's one for the display tank...

Current Tank Info:
50 Breeder Quarantine Tank, 240 Miracles Finally up and running, 29 Biocube - AI Nano
Old 10/08/2015, 06:34 PM   #556
NarakuAulonocar
Registered Member

I would keep it in quarantine but keep water pristine (no antibiotics, no dips)

I think it will be out competed.

But since you already put it in, just observe. If its not eating put it back.

Old 10/08/2015, 06:44 PM   #557
Dkuhlmann
Registered Member

I vote DT also. It's in a small tank for much longer than you anticipated due to the red spot which is now gone. YAY So ya let him enjoy the big tank, I'd be willing to bet it comes around once acclimated. I also don't think feeding will be an issue once it gets accustomed to the bigger tank and other fish since it was eating so well before.

Current Tank Info: 40b 750 gph 45 lbs lr, 2"-3" sand, 165w full spectrum dimable LED, 20 gal sump/refugium 30 lbs lr, Bak Pak 2 skimmer, 4" sock temp 79-80, sg 1.026, NH3 0, NO2 0, NO3 <10, ph 8.2, calc 400, mag 1300
Dkuhlmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/08/2015, 07:20 PM   #558
SDguy
Fish heads unite!

Yeah.... ummm... no.....

I don't care what species it is... no way a sketchy BF is hitting my display, I don't care what meds I've treated it with.

So that's a no vote for the DT.

SDMAS member

Marine tanks since 1989.

><((((>`..`..`...><((((>
`.. , . .`.. ><((((>

Current Tank Info: 240g butterfly and angel FOWLR. 15g QT.
SDguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/08/2015, 07:53 PM   #559
suta4242
Registered Member

Yeah, you're between a rock and a hard place. But I have to agree with Peter. The only thing worse than the Arabian dying, would be if it took a number of your DT fish with it.

Sorry, there doesn't seem to be an easy answer to this problem.

suta4242 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/08/2015, 07:55 PM   #560
caribfan
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDguy View Post
Yeah.... ummm... no.....

I don't care what species it is... no way a sketchy BF is hitting my display, I don't care what meds I've treated it with.

Thanks, needed that, keep me on the straight and narrow.

It's still in quarantine, I did add one of my semis, hoping another fish would help calm it down.

I've got a new order of lrs coming in tomorrow or Monday, with some of their new breeder food, Hopefully that helps.

I just can't believe how far it's regressed.

Current Tank Info:
Old 10/08/2015, 08:25 PM   #561
NarakuAulonocar
Registered Member

If you mention that its regressed, your number one priority is getting it eating if you want it alive.

I would do a tank transfer via bucket for live acropora corals and feed those to at least get it back to feeding. Once its feeding, you can try weaning it onto clams or lrs again.

Please don't take this the wrong way but...
I don't see it so I wouldn't know how its doing but based on your description, I feel it doesn't have long, sort of like your larvatus.

FYI if you are going to try another corallivore, I would try pairs instead of singles. I always see them live as pairs in videos.

Quote:
Originally Posted by caribfan View Post
Thanks, needed that, keep me on the straight and narrow.

It's still in quarantine, I did add one of my semis, hoping another fish would help calm it down.

I've got a new order of lrs coming in tomorrow or Monday, with some of their new breeder food, Hopefully that helps.

I just can't believe how far it's regressed.

Old 10/09/2015, 03:17 AM   #562
Big E
Registered Member

Quote:
Yeah.... ummm... no.....

+1

I would never risk the health of my other fish by putting any fish that isn't doing well into the display.

The 100% water change does seem like a good option. You mixed a couple of different chemicals that don't have known outcomes when mixed together.

reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2197142&page=31

Ed
Big E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/09/2015, 04:13 AM   #563
caribfan
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big E View Post
+1

I would never risk the health of my other fish by putting any fish that isn't doing well into the display.

The 100% water change does seem like a good option. You mixed a couple of different chemicals that don't have known outcomes when mixed together.
A 100% water change, more or less, was actually done about 10 days ago, (inadvertently I might add), It was meant to be a 50% and I got busy doing something else and it ended up being more like a 95%.

In regards to mixing of chemicals, I kept all the treatments separate, both in time frame and by the addition of Carbon, re-introduction of skimming and a large water change after treatment, so I don't believe I'm dealing with a chemical mixture issue. Just wanted to be clear on that.

Appreciate the opinion on not adding to the DT, I want this fish to make it so badly, it was tempting.

Current Tank Info:
Old 10/09/2015, 04:18 AM   #564
caribfan
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NarakuAulonocar View Post
If you mention that its regressed, your number one priority is getting it eating if you want it alive.

I would do a tank transfer via bucket for live acropora corals and feed those to at least get it back to feeding. Once its feeding, you can try weaning it onto clams or lrs again.

Please don't take this the wrong way but...
I don't see it so I wouldn't know how its doing but based on your description, I feel it doesn't have long, sort of like your larvatus.

FYI if you are going to try another corallivore, I would try pairs instead of singles. I always see them live as pairs in videos.

Hey Naraku, thanks for the advice.

I'm not sure what you mean by tank transfer via bucket, but I really like the idea of adding some acropora to my quarantine tank. I hadn't thought of that for some reason and I think I may try to pick some up this weekend.

I'm not sure what I would take the wrong way, but I agree, I don't feel like this fish has long either. To be honest, I'm shocked it's still alive. I was out all last week on vacation and totally told the person watching my tanks to not be surprised if it died.

In regards to pairs, I actually had two of these fish in one tank at the same time in the beginning, it didn't go well....

Current Tank Info:
Old 10/09/2015, 11:11 AM   #565
NarakuAulonocar
Registered Member

the tank transfer of acropora to prevent him from getting ick, brook etc which the coral might be carrying.

since its weak, I think at this point, it will only eat food that it recognize from home i.e. corals.

at this point its a gamble to either quarantine the coral and let him starve another week or just feed the coral and treat any disease that pops up.

Since, it really needs food, I would just feed the coral and treat disease if it pops up since its a quarantine anyway.

In regards to tankmates, I think two dissimilar corallivores would keep each other company without out competing each other. i.e. baroness and trifasciatus.

Last edited by NarakuAulonocar; 10/09/2015 at 11:18 AM.
Old 10/12/2015, 04:58 AM   #566
caribfan
Registered Member

Couple iPhone shots from this weekend.

Current Tank Info:
Old 10/12/2015, 05:17 AM   #567
caribfan
Registered Member

Couple of vids too..

Current Tank Info:
Old 10/12/2015, 06:56 AM   #568
SDguy
Fish heads unite!

Love the gill spine on that regal!! How's the coradion doing/eating? Looking a tad on the thin side...

SDMAS member

Marine tanks since 1989.

><((((>`..`..`...><((((>
`.. , . .`.. ><((((>

Current Tank Info: 240g butterfly and angel FOWLR. 15g QT.
SDguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/12/2015, 07:36 AM   #569
caribfan
Registered Member

Quote:
Love the gill spine on that regal!! How's the coradion doing/eating? Looking a tad on the thin side...
Agreed, it eats like a champ, just doesn't seem to put weight on. It has always been on the thin side and I struggled to get it eating well initially.

Current Tank Info:
Old 10/12/2015, 10:25 AM   #570
BigBlueTang
Registered Member

Awesome photos! Just a quick question not sure if you mentioned it before or not, where did you get your regal? Did you QT it? If so did you have any problems?
Thinking about trying one...

Old 10/12/2015, 01:00 PM   #571
caribfan
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBlueTang View Post
Awesome photos! Just a quick question not sure if you mentioned it before or not, where did you get your regal? Did you QT it? If so did you have any problems?
Thinking about trying one...
Thanks for the comments.

I actually have two regals, the larger is a Red Sea version, which I got locally.

The smaller is an Indo version that I got from nyaquatics.

Both were quarantined for several months and went through cupramine and prazi

Current Tank Info:
Old 10/12/2015, 01:20 PM   #572
BigBlueTang
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by caribfan View Post
Thanks for the comments.

I actually have two regals, the larger is a Red Sea version, which I got locally.

The smaller is an Indo version that I got from nyaquatics.

Both were quarantined for several months and went through cupramine and prazi
Thanks for the response..
I want a smaller one, around 3"..
The biggest QT I have right now is a tiny 10 gallon so I'm not that comfortable putting it into QT. If I do end up buying one(still unsure) and Qt'ing it would established LR help?
Sorry for jacking your thread... Amazing build and an angel/butterfly dominated tank is now one of my dreams thanks to your tank and Peters(SDguy)

Old 10/12/2015, 01:41 PM   #573
Achilles Torben
Registered Member

Love the rainfordi

Fantastic collection

Achilles Torben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/12/2015, 05:16 PM   #574
caribfan
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBlueTang View Post
Thanks for the response..
I want a smaller one, around 3"..
The biggest QT I have right now is a tiny 10 gallon so I'm not that comfortable putting it into QT. If I do end up buying one(still unsure) and Qt'ing it would established LR help?
Sorry for jacking your thread... Amazing build and an angel/butterfly dominated tank is now one of my dreams thanks to your tank and Peters(SDguy)
Three inches is a great size. DD is a good source, but they can be a bit pricey.

If I was to advise you on quarantine, I guess I'd probably say that if you are prepared to spend $150-$300 on a regal angel, I'd save up just a bit more and buy a proper quarantine tank. I like the 40 and 50 breeders myself.

In terms of filtration, I have a permanent filter established with bioballs. I don't like to use live rock or anything calcerous because it can interfere with any cooper treatments that might be run.

A hang on the back style filter with bioballs in place of the filter cartridge is all you really need. Maybe a good quality power head for circulation.

Thanks again for the comments, Peters tank is my inspiration.

Current Tank Info:
Old 10/12/2015, 05:17 PM   #575
caribfan
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Achilles Torben View Post
Love the rainfordi

Fantastic collection
One of my favorites in there. I almost ordered a second one today.

Current Tank Info: