Reef Central Online Community
Premium Aquatics

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Anemones & Clownfish
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Old 02/04/2020, 11:35 AM   #1
greekspec
Registered Member

wild caught true Perculas in stock

just a heads up Sea Dwelling Creatures/Exotic Reef Creatures has wild Perculas in stock which can be purchased through Aqualocker, Fishybuisness Aquatics or Saltwaterfish.com

https://fishybusinessaquatics.com/fi...prion-percula/

greekspec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/04/2020, 09:14 PM   #2
ronalvio
Registered Member

How do you know they are wild

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ronalvio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/04/2020, 09:21 PM   #3
ThRoewer
Registered Member

From where are they? Papua New Guinea, Solomon Islands, Australia, or Sulawesi (Indonesia)

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Current Tank Info: 200 gal 4 tank system (40x28x24 + 40B + 40B sump tank + 20g refugium) + 30x18x18 mixed reef + 20g East Pacific biotop + 20g FW +...
ThRoewer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02/04/2020, 11:09 PM   #4
greekspec
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronalvio View Post
How do you know they are wild

because the wholesaler carries wild and captive

Old 02/04/2020, 11:10 PM   #5
greekspec
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThRoewer View Post
From where are they? Papua New Guinea, Solomon Islands, Australia, or Sulawesi (Indonesia)

I was told Indonesia

Old 02/04/2020, 11:15 PM   #6
greekspec
Registered Member

pics

Attached Images
File Type: jpg bsWBs6S8QO6gTYK5JbOSZg.jpg (59.9 KB, 40 views)
Old 02/05/2020, 12:19 AM   #7
ThRoewer
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by greekspec View Post
I was told Indonesia
That means West Papua or Gulf of Tomini, Sulawesi.
Those are not "true" percula but a currently undescribed species that looks very much like percula but is genetically farther from the true PNG & SI percula (and ocellaris) than all the skunk clowns from each other...

I have two pairs of those Indo "percula" now and they are pretty nice.

Current Tank Info: 200 gal 4 tank system (40x28x24 + 40B + 40B sump tank + 20g refugium) + 30x18x18 mixed reef + 20g East Pacific biotop + 20g FW +...
Old 02/05/2020, 07:20 AM   #8
ronalvio
Registered Member

Can you elaborate? I have 2 of these and were told from Irian jaya

Old 02/05/2020, 08:44 AM   #9
greekspec
Registered Member

Quote:
Those are not "true" percula but a currently undescribed species that looks very much like percula but is genetically farther from the true PNG & SI percula (and ocellaris) than all the skunk clowns from each other...

I will call the wholesaler to confirm where there from Sulawesi is next to West Papua and the current Percula range list is just an estimate range. I'm no breeder or collector.

Old 02/05/2020, 08:55 AM   #10
greekspec
Registered Member

Quote:

I will call the wholesaler to confirm I was told Indo Pacific which is anywhere.Sulawesi is next to West Papua and the current Percula range list is just an estimate range. I'm no breeder or collector.

Old 02/05/2020, 08:56 AM   #11
greekspec
Registered Member

Quote:

I will call the wholesaler to confirm I was told Indo-Pacific which is anywhere.

Sulawesi is next to West Papua and the current Percula range list is just an estimate range. I'm no breeder or collector.

Old 02/05/2020, 09:04 AM   #12
greekspec
Registered Member

Quote:
Can you elaborate? I have 2 of these and were told from Irian jaya

There are reports of A. percula occurring beyond these areas, including in the Andaman and Nicobar Islands off southeast India (Madhu and Madhu 2006); Tomini Bay in Sulawesi, Indonesia (Kuiter and Tonozuka 2004, cited by Timm et al. 2008); Cocos (Keeling) Islands and Christmas Island in the eastern Indian Ocean; Fiji; Micronesia; and as far north as the Ryukyu Islands in the East China Sea (Thornhill 2012). However, these reports are most likely cases of misidentification of A. ocellaris (Maarten De Brauwer, pers. comm. 2015), or indicative of a potential third, cryptic species in the species complex that has yet to be described.
Phylogenetic analysis from Timm et al. (2008) shows that specimens from Tomini Bay (Sulawesi, Indonesia) belong to the A. percula clade, but were genetically distinct from A. percula sampled within the known range of the species at the sub-clade level.

These results suggest the possibility of a third, cryptic species present within the A. ocellaris/percula species complex, which is not concordant to the current taxonomy. More genetic analyses are required to determine whether the range of A. percula is more extensive than what has been described previously or if a third cryptic species does exist. The existence of a third species would not affect our analyses here as we have not considered the geographic area where this third species might exist to be part of the range of A. percula. If further genetic research indicates there is no third species and the range of A. percula extends beyond what we have analyzed here, we could consider our conclusions to be conservative underestimates of range size and abundance. For the purposes of this analysis, we did not speculate as to which scenario is more likely; rather, we used the best available scientific and commercial information to determine the speciesí current range.

Old 02/05/2020, 09:49 AM   #13
ThRoewer
Registered Member

Those "percula" are certainly confirmed for Tomini Bay in Sulawesi. That is kind of next to West Papua.
But I'm very skeptical about the reports of A. percula naturally ( = not set out there by humans) occurring in the Andaman and Nicobar Islands. That's a whole different ocean and the eastern most places to find "ocellaris" which also have a good number of cryptic species or at least subspecies. So, if anything then I would expect another ocellaris/percula clade species there, but rather one belonging to the ocellaris branch.

Old 02/05/2020, 10:14 AM   #14
greekspec
Registered Member

Quote:
Those "percula" are certainly confirmed for Tomini Bay in Sulawesi. That is kind of next to West Papua.
But I'm very skeptical about the reports of A. percula naturally ( = not set out there by humans) occurring in the Andaman and Nicobar Islands. That's a whole different ocean and the eastern most places to find "ocellaris" which also have a good number of cryptic species or at least subspecies. So, if anything then I would expect another ocellaris/percula clade species there, but rather one belonging to the ocellaris branch.

Papua and West Papua are part of Indonesia a province and a natural Geographic region of A.Percula, so if a wholesaler says they came from Indonesia "vague" then in fact they are authentic no?

I spoke with Sea Dwelling Creatures and the sales guy does not know what region of Indonesia they are caught but if it's Papua and West Papua then there Perculas.

Old 02/05/2020, 10:20 AM   #15
greekspec
Registered Member

here is an "estimated" range of A.Percula which includes Indonesia West Papua and Papua.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg thumbnail_Image.jpg (24.2 KB, 12 views)
Old 02/05/2020, 11:22 AM   #16
ThRoewer
Registered Member

This map is more up to date:

The West Papua "percula" belong to the Biak - Tomini Bay percula and not the PNG - New Britain - Solomon Islands (and likely Vanuatu) "true" percula.

IMO, the most likely collection area for Indonesian percula is Sulawesi.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Ocellaris-Percula.jpg (77.2 KB, 70 views)

Old 02/05/2020, 11:45 AM   #17
greekspec
Registered Member

I assume we could agree they are true A.Percula since there current range is still an estimation. All the scientific info applies to the current ones from SDC the two sales aggents I spoke with don't have an exact collection station where there coming from.

There is unsure speculation if there is a new cryptic species or if the range is a bit larger then studied.

Old 02/05/2020, 12:29 PM   #18
greekspec
Registered Member

another interesting find and map showing there rang in Indonesia (West Papua/Papua)

https://bie.ala.org.au/species/urn:l...8-a0cd75264395

Attached Images
File Type: jpg MyMap.jpg (41.9 KB, 11 views)
Old 02/05/2020, 12:32 PM   #19
ronalvio
Registered Member

Irian Jaya

Hi all

Just got 2 over the last few months over at Clear Water Aquarium
Those were from Irian Jaya they told me...
West Papua? Im assuming this is the same batch. Look exactly the same..

They are nice percs... have some black but not really onyx

Old 02/05/2020, 12:45 PM   #20
greekspec
Registered Member

Quote:
Hi all

Just got 2 over the last few months over at Clear Water Aquarium
Those were from Irian Jaya they told me...
West Papua? Im assuming this is the same batch. Look exactly the same..

They are nice percs... have some black but not really onyx
Irian Jaya was what W.Papua/Papua used to be called so there most likely the same place my Percs came from.Indonesia is made up of different Province so when a wholesaler says Indonesia W.Papua/Papua is a native origin for A.Percula.

I'm personally not a fan of the darker Percs I prefer more orange with black behind the head bar.

Old 02/05/2020, 03:40 PM   #21
Stickboy97
Registered Member

FYI Fishybusiness/aqualocker is closed down.

Old 02/05/2020, 05:52 PM   #22
greekspec
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stickboy97 View Post
FYI Fishybusiness/aqualocker is closed down.
I found out but www.saltwaterfish.com has the same stock